Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats Better UHF/VHF Handheld?  (Read 3438 times)
YV6DYU

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2013, 08:47:32 PM »

Hello to all There!!

Writing from Venezuela
I'd like to read your recommendation about any of 3 handheld  I'm evaluating for buying.
I'm talking about ICOM ID-51A  YAESU VX-8GR  and  KENWOOD TH-D72A
Actually I have ICOM IC-92AD but my experience has not be very good, cause equipment RX issue ( equipment bought brand new less than a year)  Huh

Thanks in Advance for all your comments

YV6DYU - Venezuela
N9ZQZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 06:41:39 PM »

I think you would want to put more information on your requirements. Power requirements and ease of functions. I tried out a Yeasu FT60 and am seriously thinking about purchasing one soon unless I go cheap and go with a Chinese model.

Good luck,

73's

N9ZQZ
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 05:21:24 AM »

Truthfully, it's personal preference.  You are going to receive all kinds of answers from hams, and every one of them will be because of their personal preference--no matter what they say.  Some handhelds are better than others in some respects--and some are worse.  What may be good on one brand may well be a cause for concern on another.

You have to see what your needs and preferences are, then check out the different brands for the ease of use and best features according to your preference.  That is the only way you're going to get what you want and need.

Myself, I'm partial to the Icom brand, so I would recommend that--but it may not be the best for what YOU need!  73!
K0GGC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 03:26:12 PM »

I have the Kenwood Th-D72A and love it.

My area doesn't have a dstar repeater so the Kenwood has all the features I need.
I regularly use the scan functions, APRS for position tracking, and echolink features of the handheld.

I am always impressed by the quality of sound, and the receive ability of this little handheld. If you buy one you won't regret it.

I am sure the Icom ID-51A is a nice radio also but it is pricey and I don't need dstar.
G1HSM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 02:07:14 AM »

One of our newly licensed club members has a VX-8GR, and is very happy with it, although he hardly ever uses it.

73, Leon
G1HSM
BASSMAN12350

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 03:44:26 PM »

I live in a rural, mountainous area of California, USA, which has a very active amateur radio organization, but most of the equipment infrastructure is not as technically advanced as in some other areas.  So, I have a couple of older, less complex dual band radios which I like for their quality of construction, rather than their up to date features (Icom W-31A and W-32A). 

I have heard good things about all three radios you mention, but what is important is that you choose a radio which will both suit your needs and have the features you can use in your region, as well as be something reliable so you won't be frustrated with it.  Hope this helps......

73, Steve
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 04:32:05 AM »

...I am sure the Icom ID-51A is a nice radio also but it is pricey and I don't need dstar....

Just to clarify, I'm partial to the Icom brand, but my Icom radios don't have the d-star feature.  The ones I have aren't even d-star capable.  That isn't why I said what I said.  

What I did say is that everyone has their own preference, and that includes disliking brands as well.  Not to put too fine a point on it, and not being critical, but that point has just been proven.   Roll Eyes  73!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: