Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comparing the receiver section of the Icom IC-75 and the IC-718  (Read 1431 times)
W9KDX

Ignore
« on: April 01, 2013, 02:05:24 PM »

Need some help here, from Icom users.  Is there any significant difference between the receiving performance of the Icom IC-75 and the IC-718?  Just reception of AM and SSB, nothing else unless there are some filter or DSP feature differences.

Thanks

Sam
W9KDX
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 01:19:00 AM »

Other than filtering,the only other difference I can think of might be slightly more frequency coverage at the lower end. Not sure if your `718 goes below 500 khz. Most general coverage receivers might start at 100 khz,maybe lower.
KB3MDT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 06:55:24 PM »

Hi,
   The Icom 718 goes down to 0.03 Mhz or 30 KHz on "Receive" per the instruction manual.   I was able to set the transceiver to this frequency as I was curious myself how low it would go.  Please note, this is Receive Only, the radio only transmits on Bands that are legal for Amateur radio operators.

Ken
KB3MDT
M5AEO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 03:35:14 AM »

I have owned both these radios, and I have to say that the R75 is the better receiver.  It has the same DSP facilities as the 718, but the Pass Band Tuning is better.
Having said that, the 718 is a lovely, simple rig, and I bought it to use mainly as a general coverage receiver (with the added transmit fuction as a reserve rig).  One good feature of the 718 is that you can switch in the SSB filter as a narrow filter on AM reception without having to buy and install an optional one.

Jonathan, M5AEO, London.

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 12:05:11 PM »

My TS-440S Kenwood will go down to 30khz as well. The last time I listened to that part of the spectrum I just heard lots of noise,as anything electrical will be heard. Not sure if anything is actually used that low. Does anybody know?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: