Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-450D vs FT-950....worth the upgrade?  (Read 2037 times)
KB1TJY

Ignore
« on: April 01, 2013, 06:19:30 PM »

I am thinking of selling my Yaesu FT-450D in favor of the FT-950 but am uncertain how much I will really gain overall. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

73's,

Lyman
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 04:22:29 AM »

The biggest difference, in addition to having less menu diving, is in strong signal handling. It'll cope better with nearby strong signals.
K6CRC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 08:19:45 AM »

I have owned both. 950 is a nicer radio to operate, as controls are all up front. Great display. It is fairly large in size, which was a major pain given my small work area.  

For everyday use, I do not think there was much performance difference that I could remember. Both were very good values - lot of features for the money. I didn't do significant side by side comparisons.

If it is a money issue, stay with the 450D put the extra $$ into a better antenna structure.
If it is a space issue, stick with the 450D
If you have the $$ and room, upgrade to the 950

If you decide on the 950, find a nice used radio.

I upgraded to a Elecraft K3, which offered a better RX, noise management and flexibility. But, for a casual ham, or one on a limited hobby budget, either Yaesu will work fine.

For DXing, your antenna and the mood of the sunspots are the limits, probably not your radio.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 08:54:57 AM »

For a few hundred more you an get a TS-590 and get a real noticeable upgrade.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 09:35:07 AM »

Personally, unless you may plan in the future to go roving or portable, and save  money, I would do the 450.  The 950 is a generic middle of the road performer, not that great but for a casual op, probably okay.  I would opt for a better base radio if I were looking like the 590, a used FT-1000, an ICOM 7200 is far better then the 950 and about the same price used but stellar DSP/NR over the 950. Really depends upon your operating needs and style.
K6CRC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 05:59:25 PM »

Indeed, if you are planning on upgrading in the future, keep the 450D and save up for a Elecraft K3. Nothing under of $12K is better. Lacks only the color light show display, but make up with incredible support and regular software upgrades.

Whatever you decide to upgrade to, get on the forums for that brand and read the comments. Especially ones related to service and reliability....
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 07:40:30 AM »

I have used a '950 for 5 years and although I think it's a great radio for the money, It's probably not a huge difference in performance over the '450.   If you can find a good deal on a used one then go for it and I know you will be pleased , but if you are looking to buy new, there are better options. As for the K-3, I used one for 4 months and although the receiver is definetly better, I did not like the overall package compared to the '950, so if you're not into contesting or serious DXing, that is something to consider. And as has been stated many times, the antenna is usually the deciding factor when it comes to station performance.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 08:14:53 AM »

I have the early FT450At. I believe that the D has illuminated buttons which I wish mine had. Other than that, I find that the little brick can keep up with more expensive rigs due to the versatility of the DSP functions. The 500 hz cw filter can be functionally narrowed with the IF shift to attenuate the adjacent QRM.
If someone takes the time to learn all of what the 450 can do, it's a very functional rig for almost any purpose. Due to the size, Yaesu had to make the buttons multifunctional and put some features in the menu system, but it was pretty well thought out. IMO.
So far, this radio has done everything that I need it to do.
If I wanted to do better with DX, I'd improve my antennas before changing the radio.

W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 04:42:03 PM »

Stick to the topic. If you don't have information regarding the Ft-450 vs the FT-950, don't post here. Geesh
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 06:58:41 PM »

Stick to the topic. If you don't have information regarding the Ft-450 vs the FT-950, don't post here. Geesh

There is nothing wrong with mentioning a few other rigs and one of which is only about 200 more and is indeed a upgrade over a 950 which mostly an moderate upgrade over a 450 and mostly in packaging.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: