Build That Heathkit!

(1/3) > >>

Dave Edwards:
Your thoughts??
I have an unbuilt Heathkit IM-2212 autoranging DVM kit.
I am thinking of building it.
I am considering it only for the fun of it, watching it come to life, and the challenge.
If I do, what components do you think are risky?
The dates on the update sheets and instruction manual are all from around 1979. So, I figured I should replace
all the electrolytics with new ones, and those cheap IC sockets that Heath used could be replaced with gold plated jobs
from Mouser.
In the end, this thing does no more than my handheld Fluke....but with a shoebox full of parts! (In fact, I don't think it has anything on those cheap 10 dollar units from Harbor Freight!!!)  Having worked for HP/Agilent....before they went down the tubes, I have about 5 more high end bench DVM's then I need, so the smart thing to do with this unbuilt kit would just be to put it on ebay.....but I'm still thinking about it.

Dieter Kuespert:
Capacitors in general and electrolytic are the critical parts. I assume you did not store in a very humid and hot area. Else you should check for corrosion. With your background this is a piece of cake to do. You might still offer it in the Heathkit Yahoo group built or as original kit.

Bob Lewis:
I would think that it has more $$$ value as a complete, original unbuilt kit. There are plenty of new kits available to build if that's your goal - and you could get something that has more practical value to you personally.

Clark McDonald:
Quote from: AA4PB on April 02, 2013, 05:57:14 AM

I would think that it has more $$$ value as a complete, original unbuilt kit. There are plenty of new kits available to build if that's your goal - and you could get something that has more practical value to you personally.

Agreed. 

It is your kit, to do with as you like, but first I'd take a look at what complete and unbuilt Heathkits of all stripes are selling for, the collectors and historians LOVE to find them like that and try to preserve this bit of untouched history. 

For what you could sell it for unbuilt, you might just be able to purchase quite a lot of hamming fun...

Allen C. Ward:
Easy choice,  SELL IT as an unassembled kit.  I once sold an unassembled  HeathKit for about
five times its original cost.  Some kits have sold for far more.  More often than not, an
unassembled kit stays unassembled even after being sold  (and often after being resold several
times).   
It's a pity that one can't just disassemble an existing Heath  and sell it as "unassembled"
I don't think that would play.

As I have found in life, "Whatever you do, you always wonder if it would have been better
to do something else."

Allen KA5N

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page