The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a hard time understanding what's said  (Read 7883 times)
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 06:00:32 PM »

About 15 years ago it became obvious that I was having hearing problems.  My family doctor (principal clarinetist for the Bremerton Symphony Orchestra) noticed it during a rehearsal (I was principal percussionist) and referred me to a really good audiologist.  Turns out that working in a shipyard environment, even with earmuffs and earplugs, can eventually cause hearing loss.  I now wear hearing aids.  They help, but I resigned from the orchestra because I can't hear the little inner cues to the music.  It was fun for the 35 years I played.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 12:39:10 PM »

I haven't found anything that directly helps comprehension of what's said but my guess is that it's out there...

Just a pint of a nice bitter ale or a pale ale can cure many such "alements."
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 01:22:26 PM »

I haven't found anything that directly helps comprehension of what's said but my guess is that it's out there...

Just a pint of a nice bitter ale or a pale ale can cure many such "alements."
You may have misspelled a word:  a pail of nice bitter ale could be helpful.
Have to put that on my bucket list...

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K1PJR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 05:45:58 PM »

Try just listening. Close your eyes and just listen to QSO's. If you listen long enough you will get the feel of a QSO. Repetition is a wonderful teacher. You will get accustomed to accents and verbage. If you are still having issues then maybe it's a processing impairment. A visit to a doctor may determine if it's s medical issue. Jut remember that there is a solution to every situation. Keep trying. It may take awhile but you will eventually find what works for you.

Good luck!
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2016, 09:00:13 AM »

You may have misspelled a word:  a pail of nice bitter ale could be helpful.
Have to put that on my bucket list...

I never liked the term "bucket list."

Now, in context, I like it.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2016, 09:55:55 AM »

slap a parametric equalizer on the rig and an external speaker, and peak and dip until you have better understanding.
if the damage is not too severe to the cilia in the ear, that might do it.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2016, 10:56:35 AM »

When I first read that, I thought it was the ciliast thing I ever heard.  On rereading, however .....  Grin

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KI4OYV

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2016, 05:03:50 PM »

It takes time to learn all the "jargon" involved in ham. Take your time and try to slow your mind down to really hear whats being said. Don't be afraid to ask for a repeat of the call sigh. Lord know that many an EXTRA do it more then once during a QSO.
Or it could be a regional thing. I moved from Florida to Nashville and was totally lost with the different forms of "Southern" spoken up here. Been going on 6 years now and still get some real word recognition problems. Different words mean different thing in different parts of the country.
Got to give it to you lad for at least trying to figure it out and for asking for advise.

KI4OYV
 Undecided
W7NKR

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2016, 08:05:19 AM »

Evidently, I must suffer from not understanding things either...XYL is always telling me "That's not what I said"....damn...sucks getting older I suppose.... Grin
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2016, 04:59:42 PM »

NA9R.
Thanks for makin' my day! That was a good one.

I just got through meeting with a lady friend. Man, my ears are ringing......

ron
N4UE
W7NKR

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2016, 02:50:46 PM »

Better yet, when you brings something up later, you get the "I never said that..where do you come up with that stuff...."

Still working on a come back line on that...

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: