Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Please - No LOTW"  (Read 5010 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2013, 09:32:14 AM »

Interesting to me that "Please - No LOTW" is a common refrain among many prominent DX stations.

https://www.google.com/search?q="please+no+lotw"

I wonder if this just a language issue and they really mean "I do not use LOTW". Or if they really didn't want me to upload their QSO info (along with the rest of my log) to LOTW.

Maybe they don't grok LOTW in the same way I do, where I just upload everything. I do know several hams who only upload to LOTW upon special request and/or payment.

Tim.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:36:30 AM by N3QE » Logged
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 09:36:27 AM »

I would translate this to "Please do not anticipate any LoTW confirmation".
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 09:43:38 AM »

I think most of these hams are traditionalists and only wish to exchange paper QSLs.

Zack W1VT
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 10:24:47 AM »

I think most of these hams are traditionalists and only wish to exchange paper QSLs.

Zack W1VT

I don't think tradition has much of anything to do with it.

Either they don't want to be bothered with the LoTW setup/verification, or they want the green stamps.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 10:34:55 AM »

or they want the green stamps.

Ding, ding! I think we have a winner!

I actually don't mind too much if someone doesn't do LoTW if they QSL via the buro, but if they only QSL direct and require exorbitant postage, one can't help but question their motives. I generally check folk's QRZ pages before I work them and if I see these demands, I'll usually spin the dial.

I think "Please - No LOTW" generally means "Please stop pestering me about LOTW".
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 10:42:47 AM »

The most common QSL comment I've seen is 'no eQSL!'  I have it and I think its fatal flaw is that it requires the user to spend time filing all the incoming confirmations.  LoTW is much simpler in that in that respect.

Jonathan W6GX
N3YZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 10:47:46 AM »

Just a sidebar comment.... I am surprised at the large number of "regulars" participating in the several "WAS nets" who also do not use LOTW. I assumed that most WAS net users would also LOTW. Unfortunately, Not true. 73! John, Annapolis, MD
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 11:00:30 AM »

Just a sidebar comment.... I am surprised at the large number of "regulars" participating in the several "WAS nets" who also do not use LOTW. I assumed that most WAS net users would also LOTW. Unfortunately, Not true. 73! John, Annapolis, MD

I am not awful surprised when I run across folks who don't use LOTW especially once I get away from contesters and DX'ers.

Not to be "mode-ist" but the guys who like to participate in nets simply are not going to have a lot of overlap with LOTW users. Similarly the chance of finding big field day stations that do LOTW are very very low as well (even though I think ARRL offers bonus points.)

N3QVB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 11:44:39 AM »

As mentioned in other threads. more and more DX stations are subscribing to LoTW.  I've found a number of DX ops who state "no LoTW" upload eventually.  They just wait a bit to see if they get cards w/green stamps first.  I'm not implying they are in it for the $$$; it just may be their way of handling QSLs. 

Here's a nifty little resource; stations (stateside and DX) that are known users of LoTW.  Interestingly you will find some DX on the list that have said "no LoTW".

http://www.hb9bza.net/lotw-users-list
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 11:53:24 AM »

I dont get it.  

Most Hams use computers.

Uploading takes a minute.   I didn't use LOTW or eQSL in the beginning until I had a contact with an older retired ham who mentioned postage costs.

That's when I decided to offer as much as possible because it's FREE and easy.  I just switched my general logging from N1MM to DXKeeper so it's a click of a button now and I can track QSLs.

Yes, I usually don't read the details and screwed up with LOTW - didn't request the postcard at first (common mistake - change the format etc.).. but figured that out and it was simple.

I send out QSL cards for those I want have in my collection.  I ALWAYS enjoy those I get in the mail as well.

At first I had the usual SASE - then I saw a guy who said.. "if you bothered to send it to me.. I can send one to you as well on my dime".  I figured that worked for me.. if I ever got slammed I could change it to SASE..   I'm not some rare DX.

I think these services are great.

N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 12:49:15 PM »

Some non-US hams are offended at the thought of sending an ID document and a copy of their licence to get setup on LoTW.

I would suggest to ARRL that they have some other process that could help in this regard. For example, they could allow card checkers to validate LoTW credentials.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 12:50:25 PM »

I dont get it.  

Most Hams use computers.

I wonder if that is really true. I have never seen a stat, I know I do not use a computer log but I manually enter DXCC counters I still need for LOTW.

paul
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 01:13:34 PM »

I think the latest QST or the one before had Quiz stats on that and I was surprised to see that most had 5 or more computers in the house if I remember correctly. 

I think most were always into electronics so playing with the first computers was natural and logging was an obvious step....   and DATA etc..

Nothing wrong with paper logs.   To each his own.

<For those offended at the thought of showing they are who they say they are>

The first thing that popped into my mind was showing ID for voting..  How anyone can think that you can walk in and vote without ID is crazy. 

Like the lady working for the polls that was proud to have voted 6 times and said she wanted to vote more....

Crazy... Huh

N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 01:45:48 PM »

Oh, it's the "it's just a HOBBY!!!1!111!!ONE!!!1" attitude.

So what, that doesn't mean that ARRL can't choose to have some integrity in their system.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 01:52:32 PM »

Some non-US hams are offended at the thought of sending an ID document and a copy of their licence to get setup on LoTW.

I would suggest to ARRL that they have some other process that could help in this regard. For example, they could allow card checkers to validate LoTW credentials.

I wonder if thats the problem with hams from Bulgaria, Bosnia, Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro, Hungary, ect, ect. DO ANY of those guys use LOTW?  Every time I start checking my logs to see who owes a card, the list is MOSTLY hams from those countries, who just dont seem to use LOTW.  WHY?HuhHuhHuhHuh??

73, Gene AF3Y
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: