Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP! I need some stories for a seminar.  (Read 784 times)
KJ4YGY

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2013, 11:00:43 AM »

I have been asked to give a talk to a group at an RV rally on HAM Radio. The focus of the talk will be the safety aspects of having HAM Radio in the RV. Many of the places we travel have little or no cell phone coverage, so having a radio in the RV can be a life saver in the event of a medical emergency or in the case of a simple mechanical breakdown.

So I'm asking for your help. Does anyone know any stories (or links to stories) of someone being helped, saved, or rescued using HAM Radio because no other lines of communication were available?

Your help with this is greatly appreciated.

Steve
KJ4YGY
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 11:38:20 AM »

1969 Hurricane Camile. I was stationed in Jacksonville, Fl at NAS Cecil Field. For several days the only communications out of Kessler Air Force base in Ms was between the amateur club station at Kessler and our club station in Jacksonville. We were using the Intercontinental network on 20M to coordinate between Kessler and the Pentagon. At one point we had the Air Force flying in a large generator to power the hospital. The pilots checked into the Intercontental net on 20M and kept in contact with us and Kesler via ham radio. I understood that there were no runway lights and no radio contact with the tower at Kessler at the time.

Amateur radio (and later CB) was used quite a lot before the days of cell phones. If you are out of cell phone coverage today, you are in the same boat unless you have an expensive satellite phone.

KL3HY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 01:37:26 PM »

This doesn't really relate to ham radio in the RV, and it's not in the same league as AA4PB's, but I'll throw out a recent experience I had.

My wife and I were just chatting in the shack/office/computer room one Friday evening a couple weeks ago while I had my 2m base parked on one of the local repeaters.  All of a sudden a guy comes on and says he's got an "explosion and a structure fire" near a particular intersection.  It took me a second, but I replied back, ID'd myself and asked him if he had a cell phone.  He said that he didn't.  At this point I wasn't sure if it was legit, because I had a hard time believing a person would carry around an HT with him, but no cell phone.

Anyhow, the emotion in his voice seemed real and I figured the safest course was to take the report at face value, and I called 911.  He stayed with me as I relayed questions from the Fire dispatcher to determine the nature and scope of the explosion/fire.  I ended up losing contact with him after the first police car pulled up, unfortunately, but I definitely count it as a success.  Smiley

Mike
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 02:01:06 PM »

Here's a link to several items you might be able to use from ARRL
http://www.arrl.org/how-will-you-communicate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: