Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: security system for the home/shack?  (Read 5895 times)
KD8IWZ

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2013, 10:07:46 PM »

I'm looking for suggestions/experience for an outdoor camera security system. Been thinking my antennas advertise I have some expensive electronics in the house. The criteria are for the best combination of:
1. cost
2. reliability
3. clear picture (day and night)
4. weatherproof (not weather resistant)
5. wireless
6. motion activated

I've looked online, lots are available, and all claim to be the best. I know my question might be kinda like "which is the best rig" , just hoping to get some reliable comments from your experiences.

Also, any thoughts on displaying the 'decals' that most systems offer? Just wondered if telling everyone they are on camera is good or bad advertising.

Thanks for all help, 73  Dale
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 12:30:49 AM »

Put up a sign on the gate saying DOBERMAN PUPS FOR SALE  Cheesy

Tanakasan
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 05:06:22 AM »

Out here in the country, one of the favorite security tricks is to put a muddy pair of size 16 boots on the porch, next to a 2 gallon dog dish (properly dented up) with the name Brutus on it. Then on the door, a note that says: “Bubba – don’t go in the house.  The dogs got the neighbor again and we have them locked up for a while. Me and Ralph went to the store to buy more ammo and will be right back.”

Seriously though – Multi camera recording security systems can be had from $300 at Harbor Freight, and for $400 to $1000 at Sam’s Club.  You can also get a “Game Camera” like the type used by hunters to photograph animals.  Some with an infrared flash  can be had in the $200 to $300 range.

As far as signs, I do not think it is a bad idea. While they will not stop the professional thief, they may deter the teenager who comes upon what appears to be an easy target.

Clint – W5CPT -
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 05:11:59 AM »

There are also advertizements for a complete, monitored home security system--video and all available--for about "$2 a day" on TV.  I thing the system's name is Vivint.  The only problem with it is that those payments go on....  forever...
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 05:37:22 AM »

Post a couple conspicuous security surveillance signs with a couple fake cameras up high that can't be easily discerned if real or not.As an alternate you could sell your high end gear then buy a KX3 which could be easily hidden under Brutus's water bowl or inside Bubba's size 16 boots when you are away from home.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 06:34:19 AM »

Think the   """other side of the coin""
The antennas  signify  hi-tech..  rados, motin detectors,  security  cameras,, internet linked  cameras,,
Not a likely target for a B and E  type. And  also  If known  as  'ham radio'  then the  B and E also knows   small market and closely  watched., No market to average  buyer/fence..

Maybe you antenna system  is the best security system, even if there were no radios   inside.

SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 06:58:23 AM »

On my front door I have a large sticker that reads "Insured by Smith and Wesson" and out at the back door I have a sign that says" Protected by Smith and Wesson three nights a week, you guess which three" .  I have never had any problems at my home. When I get out of the truck every evening the S and W is on my belt. The neighborhood punks often see it with me close by. We have had several break ins in the neighborhood but thank God not me.
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 07:59:58 AM »

SWMAN – those signs are not a good idea.  In the unfortunate incident where you are forced to defend your family, home and property, those signs will be seen by the investigators.  The litigation will use them to show how you were ready to shoot anyone for any reason.   Alarm Signs are just as effective and cannot be used against you in court.  I am not saying to “Not keep a weapon ready”; I am just suggesting that you do not advertise the fact.

Clint – W5CPT -
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 08:30:26 AM »

Possible litigation is a none issue if you have successfully defended you own or family members life.However you may want to think twice about what value you put on property.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 09:10:23 AM »

JKA:  I wrote a "Letter to the Editor" some time ago about defending property by lethal force.

I was taken to task by someone in a city about 200 miles from here, who admitted that she had bars on her windows and doors, that essentially expressed this same thought:

However you may want to think twice about what value you put on property.

My response to her was, "That decision is for the thief to make, not mine." 

I didn't hear anymore from her.
KF7GFL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 12:45:53 PM »

W5CPT: Your note had me laughing so loudly that everyone in the office had to come and read it. Classic.

As for my security system: A 100-pound German Shepherd who barks at anything that moves. Door-to-door salespeople don't stick around too long when they see her trying to jump at them through the door. She is as gentle as can be once she gets to know you though.

I got the dog for my wife when I was travelling out of town a lot. There was a news story about how professional burglars are not afraid of alarms or alarm companies but will give a wide berth to a home with a dog. Even the small ones.

Matt - KF7GFL
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 06:51:26 PM »

Possible litigation is a none issue if you have successfully defended you own or family members life.However you may want to think twice about what value you put on property.

I don't put much value on someone who tries to steal from me and the ONLY thing I'd put on someone who breaks into my house and harms my smaller dogs is a BOUNTY.
Tom
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 04:33:28 AM »

What is wrong is that when a lowlife breaks in with intent to harm and gets shot, the homeowner is not given the price of the cartridge by the state - who have saved a load of money by not having to keep said lowlife in jail.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 05:11:57 AM »

I'm looking for suggestions/experience for an outdoor camera security system. Been thinking my antennas advertise I have some expensive electronics in the house. The criteria are for the best combination of:
1. cost
2. reliability
3. clear picture (day and night)
4. weatherproof (not weather resistant)
5. wireless
6. motion activated

I've looked online, lots are available, and all claim to be the best. I know my question might be kinda like "which is the best rig" , just hoping to get some reliable comments from your experiences.

Also, any thoughts on displaying the 'decals' that most systems offer? Just wondered if telling everyone they are on camera is good or bad advertising.

Thanks for all help, 73  Dale

I would tend to think that most idiots that are going to break into your house will not have a clue what the antenna are used for.

If you have insurance (you do have home owners insurance?) then your equipment would be replaced if it is stolen. It will be replaced with new radios etc.

I have had antennas up for 21 years and have not had any break ins.

SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 07:05:06 AM »

I have no mercy or sympathy for any of the lowlifes that I see in my part of town. Most of the ones I am refering to wear hoodies and have their ugly pants hanging down to the middle of their ass. They think that they own the streets when they walk. Yes, I can put a price on protecting my family and yes even for my possessions if anyone was to break in or try and do something outside or anywere. They will be brought down in a heartbeat. And I hope that I will be reimbursed for the 357 shell that I had to waste on them. There is to much violence and bad things going on and I am getting real tired of it. Just my honest thoughts and opinion.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:16:14 AM by SWMAN » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: