Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What should very rare DX-peditions cocentrate on?  (Read 6277 times)
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 11:01:29 AM »

A lot of my new pick ups were on the WARC bands, and I actually do pretty good there because of the SteppIR. I have 4 elements on 17 and 12 and 3 elements on 30. With 200 watts on 30 I am king of that band. Smiley

I have ten elements on 17m however none of those elements are resonant on 17m Cheesy  I modeled my antenna in EZNEC and on 17m the pattern looked like a rotatable dipole Shocked  Pumping 1500w into the semi-dummy load I actually do pretty well on 30m, 17m, and 12m.  I can't even imagine what's like to have four elements on 17m and 12m.

You don't need anything that fancy for WARC. I have a Force-12 2/2/1, which is two elements on 17, two elements on 12 and one element (a rotatable dipole) on 30m. My totals speak for themselves (317/298/306 respectively).

Oh sure. If you have the time.

But for guys like me who have like 20 minutes a day (if that much) to DX, I need to get in and get out in a few calls. Anything beyond that, forget it.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 02:16:32 PM »

Rating DX'peditions using the number of uniques as a major factor would be nice. Pumping up numbers by working the same stations 20 or 30 times seems useless to me. I'm more impressed with those that employ strategies and skills to work as many unique stations as possible.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 03:22:45 PM »

What I really think is necessary is a tweak to the Clublog code for DXpeditioners who want it. Change the matrix structure to 2 different sections: Bands worked and Modes worked. Fill all 9 bands and all 3 modes and no matter what else you work, no more checkboxes will appear, and no stats for leaders beyond the basic 9x3. The leaders will be those first 100 to fill 9x3 and that's it.

Some DXpeditions want to try for a QSO record, and the current leaderboard rocks for that purpose, but it shouldn't be a one-size-fits-all, I don't think. I believe it would also reduce QRM to a substantial degree as well.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2013, 08:12:41 PM »

There has to be a better way, it's supposed to be FUN.....I am beginning to feel it's no longer fun anymore  V
KA3NRX

Vince, a couple suggestions for you.  First, if you cannot or will not improve your antenna, you REALLY need to find yourself some QRO.  Obviously, you are just not getting the attention of the DX as often or as easily as you would like. As someone mentioned, a used Ameritron, or whatever, can be picked up for much less than you would think. It WILL make a ton of difference, and lower your blood pressure while you are at it. (Keep a check on the classified boards.........)

Secondly, sharpen up your CW...... I dont have to tell you, SSB attracts all the guys who CANNOT do CW, and there obviously are a helluva lot of them. (Along with CW ops who like self punishment) Nothing against non-CW types, but you have been at this long enough (much longer than me) to realize that CW is the way to HR or whatever your goals are.(Monaco, for instance Cheesy). Set your cluster filter for ONLY CW spots. Go and get the DX...!!

Third, make your odds a LOT better, by getting off of the damned 20 meter band. Every yahoo and their dysfunctional family has a 20m band antenna. Put a lot of listening emphasis on the WARC bands, for instance. They seem to have much less activity, even with a semi-rare DX active. Try it, you'll LIKE it!

I think we BOTH know that a 20meter SSB pileup is no place for the meek, or the little pistol, unless you have a lot of time and strong vocal chords.  I would stay away from there.... Most of the DX work more than one band. DONT MAKE IT HARDER THAN IT NEEDS TO BE Grin.

Lastly, relax OM...... We do NOT want to see another SK listing from a High Blood Pressure 'blow-out".  You love this hobby much more than you want to admit........ Thats OK, but when it gets too much to handle, do something else, as least for a little while. Maybe you could figure out a way to pick up a few extra bucks for that QRO! No matter where you are, there are always people who need something done that someone (you?) can find a few minutes to do for them. I know a guy who walks dogs here in our community.... Not the easiest job, but he says it keeps him in beer money. hihi Hang in there OM!

73, Gene AF3Y

Geno:

I am feeling every last one of your suggestions with a positive vibe....

RE: QRO -- I think I mentioned on the e-ham Amplifier threads that I almost bought an RM Italy amp at a hamfest back in Feb.....but 300 watts for $675.00 was not going to cut it with me....If it had been a 400 watt amp at that price, I would have jumped on it....

RE: CW...I don't know if you remember, but a good chunck of my dx thru the years was worked using CW....When I was first licensed, I never intended to use it after getting the necessary license class to operate DX....but I found out I liked it so I stuck with it...glad I did, as I would not have half the DXCC countries I do had I forgotten the code....

RE: 20 meters....I would get off the 20 meter band if the other bands would maybe OPEN UP!.....My lone qsos to Thailand are on 15 and 17 meters both SSB....I love the 15 meter band.....worked most of Africa on it....on 20 I have had great success over the years using both SSB and CW to many places...Including many a qso to the middle east, so I can't really knock it.....DX of some kind always seems to be on 20 meters regardless of time of year, conditions, sunspots, etc....don't get me wrong, 20 is where the majority of my dx has been since 1986....but I show no partiality to any one amateur band.....

and as for a High Blood Pressure blow out, well I had another one today as the sunroof on my car now looks like a deformed bat wing sticking up from the roof as the damn thing won't close....God only knows how much $$$$ I will get hosed out of for this repair, as I just dropped a wad of cash on new break pads and rotors for inspection.....Coming home in a full rage over more bad luck now involving my car, I for some reason turned on the dx cluster and saw A92GR spotted...Debating whether or not I should put myself through another miserable experience, I did decide to turn on the rig and give it another try......Guess what?......I got through!!!!!......and not only that, A92IO was spotted on CW......and Guess What???.......BAGGED HIM TOO!!!!!......27 years of DXing with not one qso to Bahrain, and after my turd last night, I bagged it twice in one night on SSB and CW for an ATNO.......Made me forget about the pileup the night before, and my sunroof.....at least temporarily......... Roll Eyes Shocked Angry Grin.................

V
KA3NRX
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2013, 08:17:44 PM »

I was wondering if you got through tonight. He was loud and almost begging for about 15 minutes earlier. Tonight, as I posted elsewhere, the bands are/were on fire from NA through to eastern Europe and Asia, and over the pole on 15 to HS, HL, BY and XV for me. Also EX, T6, UN, 4K, 4L and 5N all within an hour or so.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2013, 08:49:25 PM »

RE: QRO -- I think I mentioned on the e-ham Amplifier threads that I almost bought an RM Italy amp at a hamfest back in Feb.....but 300 watts for $675.00 was not going to cut it with me....If it had been a 400 watt amp at that price, I would have jumped on it....

You can do a lot better than that if you look around. Even here on eham, in the classifieds, AL-811s and AL-811Hs going for very reasonable prices. My AL-811 (3-hole version) made a huge difference in what I was able to accomplish. Save up another hundred or so and look for an AL-80B (around $800 used) and you'll be laughing.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2013, 11:30:56 AM »

You can do a lot better than that if you look around. Even here on eham, in the classifieds, AL-811s and AL-811Hs going for very reasonable prices. My AL-811 (3-hole version) made a huge difference in what I was able to accomplish. Save up another hundred or so and look for an AL-80B (around $800 used) and you'll be laughing.

Pete...got to tell ya, I would love to have the AL-811, but I don't think it would fit on my shelves....Look on my profile and see if there is a photo of my shack, (i think there is) and I think you will see what I mean...

V
KA3NRX
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »

Pete...got to tell ya, I would love to have the AL-811, but I don't think it would fit on my shelves....Look on my profile and see if there is a photo of my shack, (i think there is) and I think you will see what I mean...

It's not that big: 8 ¼" x 13 ¾" x 15 ½". Move the Astron supply under the desk somewhere, put the tuner atop the radio and the amp beside it. The problem is, that tuner won't handle more than 100W, so budget for one of those, too.

-- really, do you really need to see the meters? I have an RS-35M out of the way that I've never once looked at--it just sits there working 24/7 for 7 or 8 years now).

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2013, 12:55:32 PM »

It's not that big: 8 ¼" x 13 ¾" x 15 ½". Move the Astron supply under the desk somewhere, put the tuner atop the radio and the amp beside it. The problem is, that tuner won't handle more than 100W, so budget for one of those, too.

-- really, do you really need to see the meters? I have an RS-35M out of the way that I've never once looked at--it just sits there working 24/7 for 7 or 8 years now).

Get a bigger desk!

Jonathan W6GX
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2013, 12:57:22 PM »

Pete...that is an old picture....that little MFJ tuner has been replaced with another one that can handle up to a KW...the only thing is the new MFJ tuner (962C) is bigger than the 941B in that photo....the shack is not that big....it is literally the size of a walk in closet......It's an old converted fruit cellar, so I am really cramped.....(ok ok, lets hear all of the jokes...."you need to come out of the closet".."especially if it's a fruit cellar"..."there's a cure for cramps".....heard them all before).....but seriously, it is a very tiny space......

V
KA3NRX
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 01:01:49 PM by KA3NRX » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »

Pete...that is an old picture....that little MFJ tuner has been replaced with another one that can handle up to a KW...the only thing is the new MFJ tuner (962C) is bigger than the 941B in that photo....the shack is not that big....it is literally the size of a walk in closet......It's an old converted fruit cellar, so I am really cramped.....(ok ok, lets hear all of the jokes...."you need to come out of the closet".."especially if it's a fruit cellar"..."there's a cure for cramps".....heard them all before).....but seriously, it is a very tiny space......

Nothing a little re-arranging couldn't cure. There's room for anything Build a shelf, maybe, for the stuff you don't need to touch as often, hang the speaker off it, etc. Put the tuner on top of the amp, the radio to the left of it, a shelf above the radio (couple pieces of shelving material at HD and a couple of books for support), etc. Plenty of options if you think outside the closet--er--box.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: