Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many will admit to it?  (Read 8236 times)
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2013, 06:11:43 AM »

Much to our friends Geno, Pete, et al's happiness, there are not as many DX nets on the frequencies as there were 20 or 30 years ago it seems (maybe it seems that way to me because I havn't been on much).....but they are there....like it or not.....some of us like them, some of us don't.....the time has come to get over it and move on......again, can we PLEASE end beating this horse that is so, dead, it's carcas stinks?Huh....-PLEASE?Huh....

The horse is quite deceased for us, but it's a good topic to revisit every so often as we do get new visitors to this little slice of eham now and then, with freshly-minted calls and, hopefully, putting the issue front and centre for them may cure some bad habits earlier rather than later. It would have saved me endless frustration for many of those early months on the air, I'll say that much!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2013, 07:36:33 AM »

Remember, Pete...One man's "bad habits" and "frustrations"...is another man's relaxation and contentment....Just say'n..... Wink

V
KA3NRX
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2013, 08:50:43 AM »

When I was a teenager back in the 80's I used them from time to time. I thought that they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. I remember the 14.160 net in the late 80's / early 90's.

Nowadays I used clusters or just tuning around to work DX. In recent years I have only used a DX net once to work an ATNO, which was Maquerie Island (Trevor). I was up at the wee hours of the morning working (at home on the laptop next to the station). While scripts were running on servers I tuned around a bit and here I hear a loud net control station and he announces the DX on frequency, one being Maquerie. I figured what the heck... I threw my call in and worked him on a net. Yep, I admit to it.. but hey.. that was the one and only time I heard Maquerie Island. I'm not going to say "No, I'd much rather wait until I have bad propagation or no propagation with my very limited schedule just so I can nab them in a pileup instead". I'm glad I worked him, I have the QSL in my collection and who knows when somebody will go back.

Bottom line is.. it doesn't bother me if people do or don't use them. In most cases you still need to fight a pileup to get on a net if there is something "good" there (from what I remember in my younger days). It's not much different then using a dx cluster to "see" where the DX is. If you want to be a real purist.. then turn off the computer.. no nets, no clusters.. just antenna and radio and skill. I still work much dx that way... even ATNO's. To each his own on how they prefer to work the DX. If it makes you happy go for it.. if it doesn't then don't go for it..
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2013, 08:53:44 AM »

I have never heard a DX net but would love to listen to one to hear what all the Qis about. I don't like the idea of having a net controller decide who gets to work the DX, I would rather use my skill (or lack there of) to work the new one I need.  

REPLY: Obviously you have never heard a DX net, Chris. If you did, you would know that a net controler does not "decide" who gets to work the DX....Like it's an exclusive country club or secret organization or something...The net controller takes the list off of what he hears and if he/she hears no more they usually ask if there is anyone else that wants to be on the list....and if he/she can't hear any more, they will usually ask for any relays from the other net controllers on the freq...then the net control run the list and the stations decide who among the DX on the net they want to be spoon fed, er um sorry...want to work.....no fussing, no fighthing.....the DX that checks into the nets proabably don't want to deal with the mayhem that some people live for.....they figure, let the net controller handle that scene.....I seem to recall at one point and history, (and Geno, this will make your hair curl), that I actually ran a DX net for a while on 14.226.5, because the regulars weren't around...with my 100 watts and wet noodle....It was really kind of fun.....Much to our friends Geno, Pete, et al's happiness, there are not as many DX nets on the frequencies as there were 20 or 30 years ago it seems (maybe it seems that way to me because I havn't been on much).....but they are there....like it or not.....some of us like them, some of us don't.....the time has come to get over it and move on......again, can we PLEASE end beating this horse that is so, dead, it's carcas stinks?Huh....-PLEASE?Huh....

V
KA3NRX

Vinny,

The quote you have attributed to me was written by AD9DX.  You are actually the forum's resident expert on these things but only came out of the closet today.  Wink  The majority of my experience with nets was back in 1988 and 1989 as a new ham on a 15 meter net run by Denny, GW3CDP SK.  He would get some nice stuff from Africa on so there were big pileups to even make his first list which was probably capped at about 10 or 12.  Often times I could not even get on the list because there were many with beams and amps on the net. Those experiences are what make me believe a net is OK for a guy with a wire antenna or vertical and 100W but somebody with my current station should not be using them to pick up new one's.  When I call CQ DX I actually generate a pileup so it would be overkill if I was currently working new countries in a net.

My problem with those who ridicule net users is they are using DX clusters and that is like picking up a TV guide to see what's on but instead of TV it gives a band-by-band list of all the DX.  I also think the DX clusters have taken all of the thrill of the hunt and much of the skill out of DXing.  I really enjoyed tuning up and down the CW portion of the bands listening for any clues that would give me a new one.  I wish those who never experienced that could go back in time and see what it was like so they could compare it to today where the chances of finding a new one before it gets on the cluster are greater than the odds of your Pirates winning it all.

Chris/NU1O

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2013, 09:09:50 AM »

Bottom line is.. it doesn't bother me if people do or don't use them. In most cases you still need to fight a pileup to get on a net if there is something "good" there (from what I remember in my younger days). It's not much different then using a dx cluster to "see" where the DX is. If you want to be a real purist.. then turn off the computer.. no nets, no clusters.. just antenna and radio and skill. I still work much dx that way... even ATNO's. To each his own on how they prefer to work the DX. If it makes you happy go for it.. if it doesn't then don't go for it..

I have tried calling CQ DX Asia when the path over the pole is open on 15 but you first need to get all of Europe to cooperate and that is a hard job but it can be done, and on the few times I tried it I did have a nice run of Indian and Indonesian stations I would not normally work.  Most of the stations were running 100W to either small tribanders or dipoles. That was fun so I'll do it more often.

You are 100% correct that a purist should really shut off the computer but it's not going to happen.  The ham who did so would be at such a disadvantage that he may as well be fighting lions and tigers in the Coliseum in front of Nero.

Chris/NU1O

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2013, 09:25:49 AM »

Vinny,

The quote you have attributed to me was written by AD9DX.  You are actually the forum's resident expert on these things but only came out of the closet today.  Wink  The majority of my experience with nets was back in 1988 and 1989 as a new ham on a 15 meter net run by Denny, GW3CDP SK.  He would get some nice stuff from Africa on so there were big pileups to even make his first list which was probably capped at about 10 or 12.  Often times I could not even get on the list because there were many with beams and amps on the net. Those experiences are what make me believe a net is OK for a guy with a wire antenna or vertical and 100W but somebody with my current station should not be using them to pick up new one's.  When I call CQ DX I actually generate a pileup so it would be overkill if I was currently working new countries in a net.

Sorry Chris....was early in the AM and my glasses need cleaned!.....and I remember that net on 15 meters with Denny...he really was a character....I too worked much in the way of African stations on that net....it was big fun, as that was when the Cycle was in full swing and everything was new...I remember vividly hearing the news on that net that a certain Monk living in a certain DXCC place that is currently in demand was about to obtain a ham license to put that certain chunk of DXCC place on the air... ..OMG, I long for the day!......Go Buccos!...(HIT THE DAMN BALL!!!.... Angry..)....

V
KA3NRX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2013, 01:26:44 PM »

Sorry Chris....was early in the AM and my glasses need cleaned!.....and I remember that net on 15 meters with Denny...he really was a character....I too worked much in the way of African stations on that net....it was big fun, as that was when the Cycle was in full swing and everything was new...I remember vividly hearing the news on that net that a certain Monk living in a certain DXCC place that is currently in demand was about to obtain a ham license to put that certain chunk of DXCC place on the air... ..OMG, I long for the day!......Go Buccos!...(HIT THE DAMN BALL!!!.... Angry..)....

V
KA3NRX

No problem, Vinnie.

Denny was an avid golfer. I'm pretty certain he used to golf almost everyday and he even played it in the winter. Many would bring up golf and ask him about his game and he loved talking about it.  He was also a stern disciplinarian. You got your one chance at the report and if you were wrong he was quick to say, "no contact."  It happened to me one day and I was depressed figuring the chance to work whatever country I missed was gone for a long time.

The other thing about "Snooky's Net" was it was a source of much needed DX information. Some, including Denny, would stay for a few minutes after the net so you could get QSL routes or the DX gossip of the day.

Nobody could get the DX onto a net like Denny and I'm pretty sure the guy who the net was named after, "Snooky", played a big role behind the scenes. From time to time "Snooky" would check into the net to see how things were going. I had the impression "Snooky" may have started the net and turned it over to Denny but I do not know that for a fact.

I did a search for Snooky's Net and "Snooky" is actually Hosmer Thompson, KA1DE. No wonder he got a nickname with Hosmer for a first name.  Wink  He is now living in that development that golfer Nancy Lopez is always pitching on cable TV called The Villages down near Orlando. He must be up to his head in CC&Rs in that community so he probably isn't too active. His biography is interesting and it'll bring back some memories for those of us who used "Snooky's Net." He makes it clear that he started the net and he mentions some of the regular DX that checked in. He mentions Denny as a DX station but doesn't write anything about Denny being net control or for how long. I could not recall the frequency anymore but his bio says 21.335. He writes his net was active from 1978 thru 1995 and there was also a 20 meter frequency for when the cycle headed down and 15 closed but I only used the 15 meter frequency.

If you are interested in his bio and more info about the net here is the link:

http://www.qrz.com/db/KA1DE

Chris/NU1O
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2013, 06:17:54 PM »

Man, that is great stuff!....What a history.....Snooky's net brings back memories.....And ya know, I'd rather Snooky be some guy named Hosmer than Snooky from Jersey Shore!....If that were the case, I would probably be siding with Geno in this arguement!....... Grin Grin Grin Grin Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked...........

V
KA3NRX
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: