Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The easiest country that took you the longest time to work?  (Read 4852 times)
AE5X

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2013, 09:40:01 AM »

After 30-something years, I finally worked Armenia for the 1st time just this morning. Most DXers probably get the entity within a handful of years but, until today, I'd never heard them.

There are other not-so-rare countries that I worked relatively late in the game...but I got 3B8 as a Novice.

How about you guys - the easiest that took the longest?

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 09:52:40 AM »

E4 - Palestine.

I had worked every entity around E4 easily, but missed two dx-peditions before working Vlad, E40VB just last year.

I was surprised beause I have 4X on many bands.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 10:13:38 AM »

Mongolia. That one evaded me forever. Especially as it was to be my last needed zone for WAZ in addition to a "rare" DXCC counter.

I'll turn this subject on its ear, though: Which difficult one took you the least time and effort to work? For me it was Bouvet. Just a couple of calls and in the log, 2 weeks later I had my card in hand. Bingo.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:18:18 AM »

P5 was hands down the easiest rare one I have ever worked, and then quickly received a QSL card from the super stateside  QSL manager.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:22:05 AM »

I have over 310 confirmed but I still don't have a card from Armenia. I worked them a few days ago on ssb and rtty but couldn't get a solid answer on the best way to QSL.

How is mail security in Armenia?

73 Mark N1UK
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 10:26:46 AM »

I'll turn this subject on its ear, though: Which difficult one took you the least time and effort to work? For me it was Bouvet. Just a couple of calls and in the log, 2 weeks later I had my card in hand. Bingo.

for me it was Palestine. One call and then he came back to me to get my callsign suffix correct.  20 meters SSB with 100 watts and a G5RV up 35 feet.  It was late at night and I believe he had just gotten on the air. The E40VB QSL card is sitting right here on my desk framed (and is the only card I went out of my way to get via snail mail -- the other is VP8ORK -- the chasing of which gave me the DX'ing bug)

The ones I need are too numerous to mention though to figure out which would be easiest.  
I have 185 LoTW confirmed mixed which breaks down to 173 CW and 133 SSB
KD8IZZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 10:45:50 AM »

I have about 150 countries SSB now but I still need Albania and Vatican City. (and Armenia and Palestine which I wouldn't call easy)
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 10:52:18 AM »

Hard to say.  Do you mean easy in the distance sense?  Easy in the garden variety sense???......Distance sense for me would have to be 4U1UN, but that's only because I had never heard them in all my years on the air until about 2007 or 2008....the same also applies for JX, Jan Mayan...HK0 Malpelo....and for PT0S as I missed several expeditions to there prior to this one......In the garden variety sense, I would have to say OJ0 Market Reef....at least it would appear to be garden varitety as they seem to be on the air every year in the Scandanavian Contests now.......I would have to give some garden variety loving to Antarctica too....been licensed for DXing since 1986 and never worked or even heard Antarctica on the air until 2010....then I was running into stations down there almost every other day.......wierd....

V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:01:06 AM by KA3NRX » Logged
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 11:29:38 AM »

I still do not have this rare far-away DX country called "United States" confirmed on 12M or 30M.

I'm actually missing a lot of the common ones on the WARC bands. I chase the rarely activated DX onto the WARC bands but don't necessarily bother for the common ones!
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 11:30:39 AM »

The easiest one that took me the longest?  That has to be Antarctica.  I searched for one for what seemed like an eternity.  Then one day there I was fat, dumb and happy calling CQ on 20M SSB when KC4USA called me!  How's that for easy ?

Don, K2DC
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »

I already had my DXCC certificate before I realized that the United States also counted. Smiley
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 11:31:10 AM »

Probably for me it was French Guiana (FY). Don't ask me why but for whatever reason for the first few years of DX'ing I just could not work one of those guys. It wasn't until I became active again a few years ago that I was able to work one to finally finish up all of my Central/South American countries. However still looming on the list is that darn UN Station 4U1UN. I still haven't managed to work them yet and they are just across the country. But go figure, I do have Navassa Smiley

John K7KB
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 12:03:12 PM »

After 30-something years, I finally worked Armenia for the 1st time just this morning. Most DXers probably get the entity within a handful of years but, until today, I'd never heard them.

There are other not-so-rare countries that I worked relatively late in the game...but I got 3B8 as a Novice.

How about you guys - the easiest that took the longest?

John AE5X

After 40 years as a ham, DXCC, almost 200 countries, etc., I just got a confirmed US Virgin Islands QSL...  Too bad I am doing only LoTW now... Smiley

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 12:08:58 PM »

The easiest one that took me the longest?  That has to be Antarctica.  I searched for one for what seemed like an eternity.  Then one day there I was fat, dumb and happy calling CQ on 20M SSB when KC4USA called me!  How's that for easy ?

Don, K2DC

That would probably make a more interesting topic - rare ones that called us!

For me it was the Falkland Islands coming back to my CQ.

John AE5X

WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »

I still do not have this rare far-away DX country called "United States" confirmed on 12M or 30M.

I'm actually missing a lot of the common ones on the WARC bands. I chase the rarely activated DX onto the WARC bands but don't necessarily bother for the common ones!

LOL. I don't even have US worked on any mode on 12m. DXLab reminds me about it whenever a spot comes through.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: