Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The easiest country that took you the longest time to work?  (Read 4084 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 03:00:27 PM »

Can I change the question to SHOULD BE easiest, but took the longest?  If so, Monaco and Mt. Athos.
Someday soon I hope that will change to  Pakistan and/or Iran.  I just dont hear these guys,even when they are spotted.  I have worked circles all around them, but not those 2 Sad

Gene AF3Y
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 03:45:18 PM »

For me it's definitely XW (worked in 2013).  It's an easy path from CO or my old QTH in ID but there have been no dxpeditions and almost no activities from resident hams.

And ZD7 was a close second place. I only worked it in 2012. Prior to 2012 I could never crack the pile up running 600w into a wire antenna from my old QTH in Idaho.

FS was also a difficult one.  I only worked it in 2012.

Jonathan W6GX
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 03:46:30 PM »

Egypt was my easiest "rare" DX contacts. Vlad was CQing away and I picked him up 50w no problems. I am still waiting on the card though, but it will be here any time now I suspect.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 04:10:41 PM »

Can I change the question to SHOULD BE easiest, but took the longest?  If so, Monaco and Mt. Athos.
Someday soon I hope that will change to  Pakistan and/or Iran.  I just dont hear these guys,even when they are spotted.  I have worked circles all around them, but not those 2 Sad

Gene AF3Y

Monaco and Mt. Athos are not easy for anyone.  Monaco is close to you but the terrain there limits the propagation to NA.  I think the question has more to do with garden variety DX that took the longest to work.  A while back I made a post about FS.  I never heard them until in 2012.  It was my last DXCC in the Carribean except the rare ones.

Jonathan W6GX
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 06:22:25 PM »

I'm still looking for Vietnam for an ATNO.  I only need a total of eight countries, but Vietnam is one of them  I've got all the other zone 26 entities. 

Chuck  NI0C
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 06:37:22 PM »

Monaco and Mt. Athos are not easy for anyone.  Monaco is close to you but the terrain there limits the propagation to NA.  I think the question has more to do with garden variety DX that took the longest to work.  A while back I made a post about FS.  I never heard them until in 2012.  It was my last DXCC in the Carribean except the rare ones.

3A isn't all that hard if you have a Yagi and can beam long-path at the right time (or have enough height and forward gain for SP), but it is a bit tough. SV/a, though....you really need patience and power to get through to Apollo, or at least tremendous luck and perfect timing. I'm surprised at FS being that hard. There's usually at least one or two activations every year during contest season. VP2V is the real toughie from the Caribbean since there's only one resident ham who's basically SSB/ragchew only and who doesn't like to QSL, and DX vacations there only happen every few years. FJ is another one you don't see up all that often due to the insane expenses involved in staying there and resort operators not wanting their estates sprouting unsightly antennae.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 07:09:38 PM »

The easiest one that took me the longest?  That has to be Antarctica.  I searched for one for what seemed like an eternity.  Then one day there I was fat, dumb and happy calling CQ on 20M SSB when KC4USA called me!  How's that for easy ?

Don, K2DC

That would probably make a more interesting topic - rare ones that called us!

For me it was the Falkland Islands coming back to my CQ.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

I had 3C0C call me to have me call a friend KH7Y on the phone to get him on frequency and while we were waiting I had a very nice QSO with Elmo. And after Fred came on the world was chomping on the bit to work Elmo. I did get a very nice card and a thank you from Elmo also and that was for #244 for me, that was fun.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 09:49:21 PM »

That would probably make a more interesting topic - rare ones that called us!

For me it was the Falkland Islands coming back to my CQ.

Happened to me too!  VP8NO  called me on 15m last year in the CQWPX RTTY contest.  Gave me a new RTTY country.

John AF5CC
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 09:50:55 PM »

I still need ZD9

John AF5CC
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 10:14:08 PM »

I only need a total of eight countries, but Vietnam is one of them.

I think this has to be the most extreme example I've seen.  Your QTH must reside in a RF black hole for XV, just like FS is to me Cheesy  You must be the only ham on this side of the galaxy that has HR but never worked a XV.

Jonathan W6GX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 10:17:13 PM »

I still need ZD9

John AF5CC

Same here.  However your example is pretty extreme as I don't have nearly the DXCC count as you.

Jonathan W6GX
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 03:27:53 AM »

Gene AF3Y

Gene,

Monaco isn't nearly as easy SP to the US as you might think.  They have a strict 100W power limit, and ther is a HUGE mountain range immediately to the west, so on many bands, LP might be easier.

Don, K2DC
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 06:55:14 AM »

I still need ZD9
I would not classify ZD9 as easy by any stretch of the imagination. It's rarely activated nowadays (maybe once every few years) and we share common propagation with Europe and South America. I'd put ZD9 in the 'semi-rare' category. Much like CY9 or TI9. In fact, I'd wager CY9 gets more activity than ZD9. There was major activity there in 2010 and I managed to get 'em on 9 bands/3 modes, but before 2010 I managed one contact in 2003 and one more in 2006.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 07:02:07 AM »

I'll turn this subject on its ear, though: Which difficult one took you the least time and effort to work? For me it was Bouvet. Just a couple of calls and in the log, 2 weeks later I had my card in hand. Bingo.

Socotra/Yemen. Thick pileup but I got them in the first hour after a few calls.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 07:05:52 AM »

Believe it or not, the most common one that I did not work was Japan. I didn't work them for a good few years after I put my beam up.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: