Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple Monitors  (Read 6584 times)
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 10:58:21 AM »

I use two monitors at work, all of us IT Geeks do and many of the secretaties. I don't have the space and funds that I am willing to pull from my hobby budget for multiple on the radio.

I find that two monitors are helpful especially when you want "reference" data on one and active working data on the on the other. That allows switching from active pursuits to semi-constant reference data with a slight shift of visual attention.

One of these days I will quit spending Radio money on other toys and get another monitor for the shack and then I will have two there.

KF7CG
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 05:33:35 AM »

I use a pair of 23" monitors.  One is mounted on an arm above my Orion 2 and the bottom of the display is just about 1/2 inch above the top of the transceiver.  A panadaptor window (NaP3 and LP-Pan) occupies the bottom of the screen on the left (about 4" high, 15" wide) and so is very close to the transceiver allowing me to see both without moving my head.  The remainder of that screen contains the windows of the DXLab suite.  The main screen, which sits behind my keyboard, is used for everyday computer work and for my WinWarbler window when operating RTTY. 

73, Floyd - K8AC
KF7GFL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 04:19:50 PM »

I have 3 monitors on my machine at home and 5 on my computer at work. I use every last one of them, but my situation may be different than most. I find that if I have a lot of screen real-estate, I will find a use for it.

Someone mentioned using a really high-resolution monitor. I did that at home and decided I needed 2. Then I decided I needed a 3rd. Right now I have all 3 full of stuff (this site, my personal e-mail, Skype chat, my work e-mail, and a couple of monitoring programs for work related stuff). As I run Linux, I also have 4 virtual desktops, giving me 12 possible screens. Earlier today I had 6 of them full of stuff. Some people can deal with stacked windows, but I like everything spread out so I can see it all.

The original poster asked about 3 monitors as he already had 2. I highly recommend it. The only problem is that you have to remember where your cursor is. With 3 large screens, it is easy to lose it as has already been pointed out.

Matt - KF7GFL
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 05:24:48 PM »

hi,

reminds me of an old ad in PC Mag, the guy in the ad was in
front of a pc with a dozen crt's vertically stacked.

if enabled in Pointer Options, you can tap the CTRL key to
help you locate the mouse pointer.

73 james
KC9DRE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 09:54:27 PM »

I have 2 24" stacked on top of each other thought about adding a 3rd as well either to the left or right set up portrait instead of landscape.  I used to work with a guy that had 3 all in a portrait configuration except they was 20"
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: