Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many will admit to it?  (Read 6873 times)
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 04:35:47 PM »

I worked a guy in Panama on the 247 DX net some years ago for the only Panama station I've ever been able to work. On the other hand, I worked Banaba Island (T33ZZ) on 17M in 2008 when I was at the top of a local mountain (Mt. Diablo) and miles from any access to the dx clusters.

So, I think I'm even.

Dave, N6ORB
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 04:58:15 PM »

None.  But if Pratas Island or Navassa Island was doing skews, I'd be on them like white on rice.  No questions asked!

Randy
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 05:01:52 PM »

I worked YI1DZ back in 2004 for an ATNO, and the net control (Alan Strauss WA4JTK sk) was his manager at the time.

But, I would never admit it.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 05:48:32 PM »

I have never checked into a DX net, and unless
DPRK shows up on a net, I do not plan to.

I needed Ashley too (EL) but figured I would wait until I could
snag someone from Liberia on my own.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 05:53:48 PM »

I was quite pleased to work Kahoolawe on a net--it is a former bombing target and much harder to find on the air than any of the US Possessions on the DXCC list.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 06:01:48 PM by W1VT » Logged
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 09:40:04 PM »

Personally, I have nothing against someone who uses a net to get a new one if they need it. At one time I was very active with the Pacific DX Net with Jim Smith along with the Afrikaners net. I met a lot of very nice people on those nets and don't regret participating with them one bit. I don't participate in DX nets now but if you think I'm going to feel bad about using a net it the past, that's not going to happen Gene.

John K7KB
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 10:33:34 PM »

Admitting to a net or a sked QSO?  I have done far more evil things in my life than a net QSO Cheesy

I worked Z81D via a sked.  Then I worked him two more times 'in the wild'.  Diya is the nicest ham you could ever meet.  I have no regrets nor do I condemn sked QSOs.

Once in a while I like to get on the Anza DX net.  These guys are very professional and a lot of fun to work.  And when the propagation allows I become the DX and everyone on the net wants to work me Grin  Over many Anza net sessions I did net a few garden variety Oceania contacts such as V73, H44, 5W, etc.  Only one contact I made that is still my one and only contact for an ATNO- VK9NMZ.  I'm proud of this QSO not because it's an ATNO but I got to know the operator through numerous correspondences.  And I got to learn about Norfolk's history and beauty as a result of this 'Net' contact.  This never happens in a regular DX qso.  So DX nets have a special place in my heart.

DX is more than just a number on a leaderboard or a plaque on the wall.  To me the friendship is what makes DX IS.

Jonathan W6GX
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 11:24:12 PM »

Nicely put, Jonathan.
I check into the ANZA Net about twice a year to say hello to some friends who frequent it. All but one of the new ones I worked there a few years ago, I have worked again myself.
I would not have worked Colin WA2YUN/KH9 otherwise. He does not appear "in the wild".

One sked QSO so far, for an ATNO. Now there's nothing on that is ATNO for me that I could even ask for a sked.

"Too much assistance" grates with me, but I haven't observed that in a long while.

73 and don't forget to have fun,
Luke VK3HJ
N3YZ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 04:21:15 AM »

Yes. Me.

Gene, I usually agree with your posts, but not today.

There are three kinds of hams who benefit from the dx nets.

First, the small station with a dipole, qrp and poor conditions, who could work the control well but is lost in a pileup.

Second, the new ham, unsure of how or when or what to say. He/she can listen and learn.

Finally, the dx. Yes, I was portable TF a number of years ago. On a dipole at the NATO Base Keflavik. I could geerate an EU pileup in a heartbeat... But couldnt cut thru the callers to work one. Try to be on the other side. I really appreciated the net controllers on 20 meters for sorting the US stations so many more could work TF.

73! John, Annapolis, MD
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2013, 06:19:48 AM »

Geno....Seriously??....Can we give it a rest???.....Honest to Christ, some of you guys and your dead horses....if it frosts you so much, why don't you get a faction of your "competitor" type friends together and petition the ARRL to get nets and skeds between dxers banned???....I guarantee, they'd look at you funny!...... Grin Grin Grin Grin....Oh, and by the by, proudly admited without shame, blame or lilly livered (Liberal/Catholic/Jewish/Obama/White/Glo-BULL Warming) guilt...to the use of DX NETS...and will do so again in a heartbeat....especially if nothing else is going on,......Luv ya, Man!..... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes....... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked.......

V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:31:29 AM by KA3NRX » Logged
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2013, 06:42:49 AM »

I remember working Jim Smith A51JS on Mary's net on 20 meters.  I was checking into that net with the hope he'd pop in, and sure enough he did Smiley  Actually, I would have spent my time better trying to work him in the open, but that was the way Jim worked his Dxpedition to get Butan back on the air. I certainly don't regret getting that card!

Pete
WA4IIF

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2013, 07:27:32 AM »

As long as you make a valid two-way radio contact with a DX station, what difference does it make how you found the station? If you don't like using nets or making schedules for DX contacts, don't do it.   
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2013, 07:36:20 AM »

I never have, but don't have any real objection to it.

WX2S.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2013, 07:43:22 AM »

I think DX Nets are a good thing in that they allow beginners to have a degree of success.  They certainly teach the need for patience and listening--two valuable skills every DXer should have!

The best thing about operating from a club station is that it gives you the opportunity to do one on one tutoring on DXing--it is great to have a smart student and see the light turn on!

Zack W1VT
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 08:10:07 AM »

I've found that ANYTHING that was worked on a net was workable in the open at a later date. I'll also confess that 99% of my rarest DX entities were entirely due to DX clusters, starting with the old YCCC packet system on two meters.

And if you got on the wrong side of 'PHO, you never worked DX on his nets Smiley

Pete
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: