Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many will admit to it?  (Read 7695 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 08:48:57 AM »

I'll admit to only LISTENING on 7.163 mornings at 0900 GMT,mainly to check out my latest antenna project since I have no desire to use SSB and have a General class license.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 09:02:32 AM »

THANKS for all the replies.  I will admit, I am a little surprised at the results.

Looks like around 17 either think its OK, or have done it.

5 or so kinda or totally agree with me.

Around 3 who dont know what they think, or dont want to admit either way, or
just want to be a smartass.

The results actually make me feel a LOT prouder of my DXCC totals, none of which had
ANY help besides the spotting clusters.

Are net and sked QSOs tainted? ARRL does not think so.

BUT........ Remember this???  "W3***, 7R8NH* (THE DX!) IS ANSWERING YOU?  CAN U HEAR HIM? HE IS GIVING YOU A 56...... 5 BY 6, OK? W3***, HE GAVE YOU 56...56...56.  7R8NH, SORRY YOU CANT HEAR W3***...... HE SAYS 52  5 BY 2, OK?? OK OK OK, QSL QSL. OK, THANKS BOTH OF YOU GUYS, THATS A GOOD QSO".   

No further comments.

Thanks again/73, Gene AF3Y
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 10:13:45 AM »

Not to name anyone in particular,but how many DX stations have you worked by way of the cluster? Isn't that spoon feeding by another name? You already  know the stations call, their frequency, the beam heading and the general part of the world that has propagation, what could be simpler? I'ts much easier now than it was,say, 30 years ago. And I don't think anyone really cares how many "entities" I've worked, the only one that it really matters to is ME.I personally know that all the DX I've worked was by accepted legal methods. It's like the argument in hunting regarding bait, as long as it's legal it doesn't matter at the end of the day how you got your deer.Again, it comes down to personal accomplishment, if you feel less satisfied that you worked a station on a net, then DON"T DO IT! But don't judge others or somehow consider yourself better because you didn't, and at the end of the day when they worked a new one and you didn't, you can comfort yourself with the fact that their QSO didn't really count.
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2013, 10:43:28 AM »

Remember the clusters of the 1960 and 70's (as far back as my ham days goes)? The "cluster" in those days was a hand typed newsletter delivered by the PO usually once a week/month informing of the DX on the air. Most of the weekly newsletters were not free also with the best ones costing a good sum of $$ for DX news.

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2013, 11:22:11 AM »

Not to name anyone in particular,but how many DX stations have you worked by way of the cluster? Isn't that spoon feeding by another name? You already  know the stations call, their frequency, the beam heading and the general part of the world that has propagation, what could be simpler? I'ts much easier now than it was,say, 30 years ago. And I don't think anyone really cares how many "entities" I've worked, the only one that it really matters to is ME.I personally know that all the DX I've worked was by accepted legal methods. It's like the argument in hunting regarding bait, as long as it's legal it doesn't matter at the end of the day how you got your deer.Again, it comes down to personal accomplishment, if you feel less satisfied that you worked a station on a net, then DON"T DO IT! But don't judge others or somehow consider yourself better because you didn't, and at the end of the day when they worked a new one and you didn't, you can comfort yourself with the fact that their QSO didn't really count.

Hee Hee Hee....Love it!.... Wink Grin Shocked Roll Eyes....
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2013, 11:29:18 AM »

THANKS for all the replies.  I will admit, I am a little surprised at the results.

The results actually make me feel a LOT prouder of my DXCC totals, none of which had

BUT........ Remember this???  "W3***, 7R8NH* (THE DX!) IS ANSWERING YOU?  CAN U HEAR HIM? HE IS GIVING YOU A 56...... 5 BY 6, OK? W3***, HE GAVE YOU 56...56...56.  7R8NH, SORRY YOU CANT HEAR W3***...... HE SAYS 52  5 BY 2, OK?? OK OK OK, QSL QSL. OK, THANKS BOTH OF YOU GUYS, THATS A GOOD QSO".   

No further comments.

Hmmm...  make that 4.

Gene AF3Y
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2013, 12:21:09 PM »

No further comments.

Hmmm...  make that 4.

Gene AF3Y

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin Cheesy
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2013, 01:14:44 PM »

Spotting clusters?Huh Shocked Unclean unclean burn the witch!!!

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2013, 01:38:52 PM »

I worked Dudley and a few others for new ones via nets within the first year of operating, before I knew how tainted they were. Once I learned just how poorly it was viewed, and after my first DX contest, I swore of them permanently.

Wasn't Dudley Z22JE (SK)?  I think 9J2BO is a different OP who has the very distinctive CW fist.

Chris/NU1O
WG5G

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2013, 03:36:56 PM »

Gene, I could'nt resist, I have one qso with ZS8MI back in the late 90's where I heard him chatting with WA2JUN, after their qso I called Tony and he said "oh I talk to Peter every Saturday morning on this frequency, please stop by next weekend and say hello. Gene what would you do ? Dx nets back then were DX nets, with rare dx, the old timers here will confirm this, today is a joke compared to those days, for the record, all dxcc entities worked without assistance except if you want to count ZS8MI. My dxcc record is 341/333 mixed HR, and 335/328 cw, oh one last thing this was done all qrp. 73 Dan WG5G.
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2013, 06:30:22 PM »

Dan, I have a similar story about my first and only contact with VR6TC, Tom on Pitcairn Island in 1973. One day, I got a phone call from Tom, W5RG (SK), who was in qso with VR6TC and he told me to stand by after he finished with his weekly sked with Christian. As I was listening on frequency (as I assume many others were) when Tom concluded his sked, W5RG told VR6TC that he had someone on frequency who had “important news” for VR6TC! Boy, that made me feel an inch tall... Shocked  Shocked .....what would I say? Well, all I could say that it was nice to talk to him for the first time. He was gracious and we exchanged reports. I quickly faded into the woodwork, as I knew the many on frequency would like a contact with Pitcairn. After that QSO, VR6TC went QRT that evening. As usual, many kept calling for a long time. I just said to myself how fortunate it was to have that qso.

Unlike today, I had to wait a year for the card, as the only communications in and out of the island other than ham radio was via a mail boat that made the long route from Chile to the island and then on to New Zealand and back.

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2013, 06:42:27 PM »

BUT........ Remember this???  "W3***, 7R8NH* (THE DX!) IS ANSWERING YOU?  CAN U HEAR HIM? HE IS GIVING YOU A 56...... 5 BY 6, OK? W3***, HE GAVE YOU 56...56...56.  7R8NH, SORRY YOU CANT HEAR W3***...... HE SAYS 52  5 BY 2, OK?? OK OK OK, QSL QSL. OK, THANKS BOTH OF YOU GUYS, THATS A GOOD QSO".    

No further comments.

When I read this topic I thought it might be juicy. Like who admits to having inhaled, used illegal power, or beats their wife, but when I saw who the author was I didn't even have to read the message to know we were in store for yet another rant against nets.

So, your totals are "purer" than somebody who has worked the same number of countries but who used a net.  Is that your assertion because that is what you are implying but have not yet said explicitly?

I'll bet you a double sawbuck that you can't keep your word and refrain from another net comment for a year. The loser pays the $20 to the winner's ham radio charity of choice. Want to bet?

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:02:33 PM by NU1O » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2013, 07:05:48 PM »

I really feel sorry for anybody on this forum who still uses nets for anything other than catching fish or setting up a tennis court. On HF, and for the most part, the only use I have for a DX net is to say hi to an old friend. If you've never known better I won't hold it against you, but if you need it now, after participating in this forum (or other, similar groups) you really have my sympathy--and I sure as he-double-hockey-sticks won't call you a DXer. A List-Lizard™ perhaps, but not a DXer.

With one and only one exception. Something ultra-rare. As in "top-10", with one operator authorized to be there who works HF in no other fashion. The guy on Wake was a good example, until the Wake DXPedition was announced. Work him once and once only for the counter and I don't have an issue.

Your own ethics and personal views may be different that mine in this regard but that's how this DXer views List-Lizards™. Right up there with kids, lids and space cadets. If you've done it in the past without knowing any better consider yourself forgiven. I said it before. I did, for a few months, before I got my head out of my @#$. If you still call into a net to work DX, and anybody else on this forum hears you, well....prepare for a Virtual Wedgie <grin>.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2013, 07:18:21 PM »

Well, when Jim Smith activate A5, I didn't regret having signed into one of his sanctioned nets Smiley

Besides, 99% of the net stuff seems to be very common DXCC countries, I can't of too many rare ones that I've heard on nets.

pete
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2013, 11:02:57 PM »

Gene that would be China on a G5RV with lots of power  Smiley
Of course I could barely hear the guy but I got some unasked for help from some guys in the pileup that got tired of hearing me say "Repeat the Suffix Repeat Repeat!!" Grin
Since I got my Steppir I have made about 10 more contacts so that first one does not bother me at all. Personally I don't care if someone uses nets etc. it's up to the individual how seriously they want to treat Amateur Radio, for me it's all about having fun and relaxing after a hard days work. Cops, Lids and Nets are the least of my problems.

PS.  I reserve the right to change that opinion if I make HR (hi hi)

73s
Robert

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:13:21 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: