Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's Play "Guess that DX'pedition" Part 2  (Read 3314 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 12:35:21 PM »

Exactly. I'm actually encouraged about FT5ZM being *only* $400K. I will send them $100 for sure.

I've heard rumors about several others that you and I need, but it seems they will happen, bit just in 2014 instead of 2013.

But these two "big announcements" are just the beginning - there will be more announcements in 2013 I am sure.

Rich
KY6R
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 12:53:53 PM »

I'm placing my bet on Kingman.  Both Kingman2013 and Kingman2014 domains are taken Cheesy  And the news said 'Big Announcement' Grin

Jonathan W6GX
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 01:18:11 PM »

I'm placing my bet on Kingman.  Both Kingman2013 and Kingman2014 domains are taken Cheesy  And the news said 'Big Announcement' Grin

Jonathan W6GX

That would be a dream come true. I did see some musician named Josh Kingman who might have grabbed at least one of those. Make sure you look at .org.  too.     
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2013, 03:06:23 PM »

I'm placing my bet on Kingman.  Both Kingman2013 and Kingman2014 domains are taken Cheesy  And the news said 'Big Announcement' Grin

Jonathan W6GX

Now Kingman is one that I do need....however, were there not rumblings about it going on the deleted list?......or was I mistaking about that???....if it's Kingman, that would be the trifecta of Pacific ATNOs for 2013....Wake, Banaba and Kingman.....that would be ok with me!.....if only we had sunspots.....

V
KA3NRX
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 03:08:27 PM by KA3NRX » Logged
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »

.if only we had sunspots.....

V
KA3NRX

Sunspot number is 126 today.  Let's hope it keeps climbing!

73 John AF5CC
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2013, 04:04:31 PM »

Nobody has guessed Crozet yet.  With FT5Z being activated, maybe Crozet will be too. That would sure be a nice one to see a major DXpedition to.

John AF5CC
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2013, 05:21:02 PM »

I'm placing my bet on Kingman.  Both Kingman2013 and Kingman2014 domains are taken Cheesy  And the news said 'Big Announcement' Grin

Jonathan W6GX

Now Kingman is one that I do need....however, were there not rumblings about it going on the deleted list?......or was I mistaking about that???....if it's Kingman, that would be the trifecta of Pacific ATNOs for 2013....Wake, Banaba and Kingman.....that would be ok with me!.....if only we had sunspots.....

V
KA3NRX

Kingman has not been activated since 2000, when K5K went there, and the Navy almost had them turn around.

Since that time, President George Bush signed it into a National  Marine monument along with most other US possessions in the Pacific. Technically, when that happened, Kingman should have been deleted. It was grandfathered in, with the provision that when the US Navy signed it over to the US F&W, it constituted a status change that was cause for deletion.

On top of that, a ship grounded on the reef and caused irreperable damage and now it no longer meets the minimum size rule.

However, there is a third DXCC rule that seems to keep it onn the list, and is so intertwined with the whole set of rules that grandfathered a bunch in, that I personally think the ARRL didn't want to open such a can of worms.

In 2008, a company called the Kingman Investment Company tried to sue the US claiming the US no longer owned. Kingman, and gets really weird because of a family that owns part of Palmyra and which
sold the other part to The Nature Conservancy. The lawsuit also mentions something about that family, Palmyra and Kingmman, that's when I mentally declared Kingman in limbo.

All of this malarky has scared 4 guys who told me they wanted to activate it away from Kingman. They all say its too risky and expensive to bother. Its bad enough you have to kiss the kings crown to get access rights, but you also have to kiss feet and derrier,,,,

Wikipedia now says its virtually underwater.

So, hey, I so badly want it to be activated, and who knows, maybe it will. Frankly, it will be even a bigger miracle than Yemen.

I will donate $100 to anyone who goes there and help in anyway I can.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 05:35:35 PM by KY6R » Logged
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2013, 09:12:42 AM »

I'll guess Johnston Island. 5 person team for 6 months, what's a few hams added going to hurt?

http://wfscjobs.tamu.edu/jobs/crazy-ant-strike-team-expedition-volunteer-johnston-atoll-nwr-central-pacific-ocean/
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2013, 09:18:37 AM »

I'll guess Johnston Island. 5 person team for 6 months, what's a few hams added going to hurt?

http://wfscjobs.tamu.edu/jobs/crazy-ant-strike-team-expedition-volunteer-johnston-atoll-nwr-central-pacific-ocean/

That could be interesting.  Six moths of activity would make Johnson Atoll a very common entity. Even us little guys could get them on all bands.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »

That could be interesting.  Six moths of activity would make Johnson Atoll a very common entity. Even us little guys could get them on all bands.

If we could find out who are the volunteers, make them all pass the general license, supply them with the necessary equipment, teach them DX'ing via Skype, and provide some financial assistance for their hardship.  Five stations and six months later Johnston will be outside of the 100 most wanted.  Mission accomplished.

Jonathan W6GX
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 09:34:48 AM »

If we could find out who are the volunteers, make them all pass the general license, supply them with the necessary equipment, teach them DX'ing via Skype, and provide some financial assistance for their hardship.  Five stations and six months later Johnston will be outside of the 100 most wanted.  Mission accomplished.

Jonathan W6GX

If we did that, Johnson I would be as common as Canada.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2013, 10:00:13 AM »

Just for giggles I modified the qualifications.

Prior experience in the following is recommended: camping, invasive species control, DX pileup handling, shorebird and seabird identification and monitoring, entomological surveying, HF propagation, familiarity with GIS tools and software, data management, pesticide application and possession of a valid US ham radio license.

Jonathan W6GX
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2013, 11:12:43 AM »

I think SV2ASP/A or a country of little interest to the European Community dxer

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2013, 11:18:49 AM »

Just for giggles I modified the qualifications.

Prior experience in the following is recommended: camping, invasive species control, DX pileup handling, shorebird and seabird identification and monitoring, entomological surveying, HF propagation, familiarity with GIS tools and software, data management, pesticide application and possession of a valid US ham radio license.

Jonathan W6GX

TX5K had all of this. Seriously!
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2013, 01:18:08 PM »

I think SV2ASP/A or a country of little interest to the European Community dxer

That's why it is of great interest outside EU!  Grin
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: