Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vertical antenna comparisons  (Read 3511 times)
AF5CC

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2013, 07:20:01 PM »

How do the "radialless" verticals, like the R5, R7000, MA5V, Gap ones, compare in performance to the standard 1/4 wave verticals that are roof mounted with radials?  Does one tend to outperform the other?  I am looking how each performs for DXing and longer haul communications.

73 John AF5CC
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 12:09:08 PM »

I see after 4 days nobody has responded, so I will take a stab.  First understand that I have never used any of the 1/2 wave radial-less verticals, so what I am about to post is strictly my opinion.

I seriously doubt if ANY of the 1/2 wave so called radial-less verticals will out perform ANY 1/4 wavelength ground mounted vertical with a decent radial system.  If they did, then everybody would own one.

Of course you can achieve a good SWR and make contacts with just about any antenna that will take and radiate RF, but when compared to a "good" antenna, the results will be poor.

Dick  AD4U
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 04:13:35 PM »

If you want a like comparison of similar Vertical Antennas, there's a booklet published in 2000 that conducted these tests.

HF Vertical Performance; Test Methods & Results - Price $20.00
LINK: http://www.championradio.com/HF-VERTICAL-PERFORMANCE-TEST-METHODS-RESULTS.3

SUMMARY:
NØAX and K7LXC are at it again - this time it's HF multiband verticals. Now you can read an unbiased report on how they really performed. Antennas tested include the Cushcraft R8, Butternut HF6V, MFJ 1798, Force 12 ZR-3 and V-3, Diamond CP-6, Hustler 6BTV and Gap Titan. It's 64 pages of protocol, data sets and summaries.  Presented at the 2000 Dayton Hamvention.

Read a review by recognized antenna expert and published author LB Cebik, W4RNL.

See W4RNL's Book Review at:
LINK: http://www.antennex.com/shack/Mar03/sntest.html

I have this book and the hams attempted to conduct these tests as per each manufactures specs. They did NOT make ground mounted (radial / no radial) verticals vs roof mounted with Elevated radial comparisons. After going through the results, while it gave me some food for thought, yet I'm still researching, reading, and learning.

Also, there's always Antennas by N6LF, Rudy Severns recent articles / research on verticals.
LINK: http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/

Check out N6LF articles on …
= QEX article on elevated radial ground systems
= Series of QEX articles on ground system experiments

Answers for Vertical antennas are hardly ever simple black and white, but many shades of gray depending on your QTH, antenna placement location (ground vs Roof), and soil conditions to name a few factors.  

Hope this gives you some answers, and / or a direction for a starting point. Good Luck.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:15:43 PM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH dit dit    ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: