Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuck scanner: Radio Shack Pro-2053  (Read 7090 times)
N0RWW

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2013, 12:22:56 AM »

Hello everyone:
  I've had a Radio Shack Pro-2053 scanner going more-or-less continuously for seven years, and recently a problem has developed.  The scanner "sticks" on one channel (number 726, if that's important), and refuses to scan any further.  That particular channel is on 46.752MHz FM, and there's no signal on that frequency, and I doubt it's a birdie, as this is a recent development.  If the scanner is tuned manually, other channels receive just fine, but the scanner continues to "stick" on #726.  The scanner is not stopping due to squelch, as the pop-up screen showing what the frequency is and the associated label doesn't appear, as it does when the squelch is fully off on any other active channel.  I have tried pressing the reset button on the back, turning off the radio and removing power completely for a few days, and the problem still exists.  I haven't tried totally wiping the memory and reprogramming, as I'm not sure I can get the programming software to load up on a modern computer (after all, it's been seven years, and three OS's ago).

Does anyone else have a suggestion before I try the total wipe and re-install?  Has anyone else experienced this?  Or is it just time to retire the machine and get something more modern?

Thanks!  N0RWW
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 12:56:42 AM »

Did you try to reprogram that particular channel to a different frequency far away? If it still gets stuck it is something internal.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 05:12:20 AM »

Or disconnect the antenna and use a very short wire to short antenna to ground, then put it into scan. 

If it still stops on that one freq. then you likely have a problem internal to the receiver. 

KB1GTX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 07:43:40 AM »

Can you lock out that #726? and put the freq in a different spot?
N0RWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 10:14:32 PM »

Ok, some answers to questions posted:

KB1GTX : I tried locking out #726, but it didn't matter if it was locked out or not, it still stops scanning on that channel and sticks.  I haven't moved that particular frequency to another slot, because...

KA4POL : I plugged in 50.125 AM into #726, and it takes the reprogram, but still sticks on that channel.

KE3WD : Hadn't thought of shorting the antenna.  I pulled the external antenna off the back, replaced it with a short RG213 jumper, and shorted the center pin to the shell.  It still scans until it hits #726, then it sticks again.

At this point, I'm going to do some digging around in my station desk and see if I can dig up the cable and programming software, and load it up on the oldest laptop I've got and see if I can download the memory of the scanner, then do a full reset to factory settings.  If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to buy a new scanner.  Bummer.  Thanks for the help.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 10:20:42 PM »

It looks like the channel provides a lock pulse by any means. Try to erase all contents and leave it empty. If it still gets stuck you need a service manual.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 02:53:24 PM »

At this point, I'm going to do some digging around in my station desk and see if I can dig up the cable and programming software, and load it up on the oldest laptop I've got and see if I can download the memory of the scanner, then do a full reset to factory settings.  If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to buy a new scanner.

From the PRO-2053 Support Website:
http://support.radioshack.com/support_tutorials/communications/cfq-2000466.htm#3

While there is not a PC interface for the PRO-2053 currently available through RadioShack, there is a cable and software available through a third-party website dedicated to the PRO-93: http://www.pro93.com/

I GUESS this means the PRO-93 Cable & Software
works for the PRO-2053???....don't know any other reason
they would put that there.....but ya never know.

The guys on the RadioReference.com scanner forum
are VERY knowledgeable. You might want to post your
question/situation there. They have helped me a lot
with scanner issues in the past.
http://www.radioreference.com/
Good luck and 73, Ken  AD6KA
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 11:33:44 AM »

From your description of the effects, I doubt that reprogramming will have any effect on it.  Sounds like a scanning logic problem, like maybe that channel has a priority lock because of a problem in the hardware.  Short of getting the controlling IC replaced, there may not much that can be done.

If you lock out the bank of channels that contains that one troublesome channel, you may be able to get the scanner to not lock up--but I doubt if it's economical to even try to have it fixed.  It would probably be cheaper to just get a new scanner.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:35:51 AM by K1CJS » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: