Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Card chaser or Award chaser?  (Read 1521 times)
K1ZJH

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2013, 06:58:29 AM »

I'm going to admit that I have NEVER submitted cards for any of ARRL DXCC programs.

I wonder how many others are just chasing DX for their own satisfaction, and the get a new one in the log, and perhaps a card for the rare ones in the collection?  Most of my cards are stored away since I don't have the wall space to display any of them. Once I have them in the log and the card in hand, I consider that job done.  I know a lot of guys love the awards, but I could never get into it.

Pete  k1zjh

WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 07:32:14 AM »

I'm scanning my cards in using a handheld wand type scanner and putting them into a digital picture frame. That way I can display all of them.

I've submitted for DXCC, and will probably submit for the CW endorsement in the near future. I like to have a few goals to make things interesting, but my main goal is to enjoy the hobby.

Wx2s.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 07:34:12 AM »

I like the paper cards AND I like chasing awards. Honing in on 9BDXCC right now.

But maybe more than either of the above, I like the burst of activity in a contest. There is some symbiosis among all of them of course (when 5BDXCC can be nearly earned in a single 48 hour contest, that's pretty cool!)

And there's some anti-symbiosis. In a test, spending much more than a minute to get even a rare mult is probably a waste of time. This makes me very impatient with DX pileups and it's unusual for me to try for more than a few minutes before I find something else (non-radio) to do. I do know to come back later when things have thinned out and I have a chance. I also know from the tests, where my station is effective and I'll have a chance of being on top of a pileup, and where my station isn't effective and I stand no chance unless I'm the lone remaining caller.

Tim.
W6DXO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 07:44:04 AM »

I started chasing cards and then became totally focused on
my DXCC goals.

I didn't submit anything to the ARRL until I had
300 confirmed.  That was my first personal DXCC awards goal.

At this point I'm just chasing the HR.

The only two cards I really cherish and really wanted are my P5/4L4FN and my
NA1SS / RS0ISS from the International Space Station.

73 de harry, W6DXO
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 07:50:19 AM »

I've always been an awards chaser, though the cards are also nice!

Zack W1VT
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »

Cards only by direct mail,not interested in awards,green stamps or bureaus.Just self satifaction.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 08:53:05 AM »

I will admit it, I am a shameless paper chaser, both for award acquisition and for my own personal satisfaction, as I like to collect cards (and other things from other parts of the world, like stamps and beer bottle labels, etc).....I am shooting for Honor Roll in a mixed bag (bands, modes) fashion, so I am pursuing qsl cards for that reason, but also because I like the cards, especially if the country is a brand new one.....I don't think Honor Roll is going to happen anytime soon for me with conditions the way they are, my station set up, and lack of time, but one never knows.....

The only awards I do have are Mixed DXCC, WAC for CW, WAC for SSB, and a mixed WAS earned years ago....I am not real big on band countries....I don't care what band the dx is on or what mode we use, as long as it's outside the lower 48 (and even the lower 48 counts as a DXCC country).....If I could only eek out a qso from Zone 24, I would have WAZ complete, so that is on the pursuit list too....but that's it.....I love my qsl cards....they are wonderful to look at from all the different countries and cultures...and they give me a sense of dx accomplishment....verification that my meger signal was reached in another part of the world that is thousands of miles away, and is sometimes not real populated....using 100 watts and a wet noodle.....awards (that may come later) will be icing on the cake.....

V
KA3NRX

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 10:03:30 AM »

I only chase cards for Honor Roll. I prefer LOTW for 9bdxcc and dxcc challenge.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 10:14:19 AM »

I chase DXCC on all bands and modes, DXCC Challenge and WAZ for the 5B award only at this point. I already have WAS (including 160m WAS) and 5B WAC as well but won't be chasing anything extra here. I'm also still in the hunt for VUCC, but once I hit 100 I won't be going any further there, either.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 10:18:45 AM »

I never pass up a new one, but I don't chase cards or awards, I just work DX because it's FUN. And I much prefer a nice ragchew with the DX, if they're willing.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 10:30:08 AM »

Mine started out as an awards chasing endeavor.  When I got my license back (after I let it lapse in college), I asked my dad to help me put up an antenna.  When we were done, I asked him how effective he thought it would be.. His response was it's nice but it won't get you DXCC.  That was all it took.  At first my only reason to do it was to prove him wrong, but now, I do it more for the love of the chase. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 10:59:36 AM »

I'm going to admit that I have NEVER submitted cards for any of ARRL DXCC programs.

Same here and doubt I ever will. It's enough for me to qualify for the awards - I don't need any paper from the ARRL to tell me what I already know in terms of DXCC count per band etc.

I've worked 8BDXCC on a single dipole (did the 5 traditional bands that way in 27 months at 100 watts) - there's no ARRL endorsement for that. I know one op who is on the Honor Roll QRP...again, no endorsement for that either.

Successfully getting through a pile-up quickly is its own reward.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 11:30:49 AM »

Both.

Gene AF3Y
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 01:57:26 PM »

If it hadn't been for LoTW I don't think I would have ever applied for any awards.  Now that I have the awards they just sit inside a drawer in their original packing material. Someday when I'm near a Michael's I'll pickup some proper frames.

I do like getting cards from exotic places but once I look at them and check them off they just go into a big box.

When I have 300 countries confirmed via LoTW I'll probably update my records.  I'm currently at about 265 and have been using LoTW for about 2 years.

I don't really need the awards to validate my accomplishments but LoTW makes it super easy.

Chris/NU1O

N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 02:40:15 PM »

I'm an awards guy.

As soon as cards are in my DXCC record I put them in a box in a drawer.

With PT0S because I got a LoTW confirmation quickly I didn't even bother to send for a QSL card or use OQRS. I just sent them a donation. Why waste postage?
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: