Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: South Korea jamming Voice of Korea (North Korea)?  (Read 12231 times)
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2013, 06:49:39 PM »

I got my first listen to Voice of Korea this morning, and I noticed that there was continuous talking in presumably Korean in the background-a different stn on the same freq. Is this South Korea deliberately jamming its northern neighbor? I know that the South jams MW freqs beamed from the North, but jamming a SW broadcast intended for North America is a whole other level of cojones. The USA never tried jamming Radio Moscow or RHC, even in the early 60s when some black radical fled to Cuba and was put on air to preach "kill-ins". And those signals were aimed at NAm. This signal isn't even intended for South Korea, yet they still jam it. Korea, where the Cold War rages on.  Roll Eyes

By the way, VoK was about the worst produced intl SW bc I have ever heard. First eight minutes consisted of revolutionary anthems, then some monotone announcer jabbering on in heavily accented English about NK's "right" to nukes, with every other sentence praising "Great Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il". I didn't find out that North Korea restarted it's nuclear weapons reactor until I saw it on the SF Chronicle's homepage. I guess that's what VoK was talking about, but the heavily accented English and the repetitious language of the announcement made that hard to figure out. I had to turn off the radio at 1520 UTC due to needing to be at the dentist at 1600 (9 am Pacific).
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 09:04:49 PM »

Hi-I presume you heard them on 11710kHz this morning as did I, here in San Francisco. Their north American beams mainly consist of those mil anthems that kinda sound like a gaggle of old Korean cartoon superhero themes, wartime propoganda, and general slamming of the "treacherous imperialist United States".
I heard the underlying voice transmission too. I assumed it was them running a translator in the background. Their program content lately seems to try and pump up the masses over there against us.
They boom in here every morning in the 1500utc hour at around +20 over thanks to the great Pacific and me being only 1.5 miles from the water.
Keep listening as I think it'll be getting juicier as time goes on Smiley
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 09:36:57 PM »

Hi-I presume you heard them on 11710kHz this morning as did I, here in San Francisco. Their north American beams mainly consist of those mil anthems that kinda sound like a gaggle of old Korean cartoon superhero themes, wartime propoganda, and general slamming of the "treacherous imperialist United States".
I heard the underlying voice transmission too. I assumed it was them running a translator in the background. Their program content lately seems to try and pump up the masses over there against us.
They boom in here every morning in the 1500utc hour at around +20 over thanks to the great Pacific and me being only 1.5 miles from the water.
Keep listening as I think it'll be getting juicier as time goes on Smiley

Negative, on the alt freq (9335) that Korean tx completely overwhelmed VOK's signal. It was incessant talking in Korean. The same thing was on 11710. It was talking even while the anthems were being played. It sounded for all the world like the infamous "flute and drum" jammer that the ChiComs use to jam Radio Free Asia. I'm in Sacramento, btw. The nonstop talking likely serves the same purpose as the ChiCom music jammer. It's possibly a rebroadcast of a KBS stream. I have erratic sleep patterns so I'm not up at 1500 UTC every morning. When I am I will tune in.

I tried listening to Voice of Justice, which is an Iranian anti-US stn, but the announcer had such a thick accent that I couldn't understand her. VOJ is on at 0330 on 15470. I also listen to the Voice of Russia news blurbs, and every so often CRI. It's weird that our enemies are using SW like crazy, and VOA just plays music due to budget cuts. VOA was the hero of the fall of Communism, the Russians were glued to it. Feels weird trying to get "censored" news from Russia and Iran. Cuba is just Caribbean and South American affairs, they abandoned the US bashing after Fidel quit.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 07:44:10 AM »

I find that the two SWBCs with the worst audio are VOK and pretty much anything Arabia. R. Cairo, R. Riyadh sound like a box of pissed-off hornets, and VOK is so bassy/barotone I have to max the tone to treble.
The VOA does actually report world news among their programming-top of the hour and on the half..they did a piece on N. Korea I heard this morning in the 1200utc hour on 7575kHz out of Thailand.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 09:19:30 AM »

I find that the two SWBCs with the worst audio are VOK and pretty much anything Arabia. R. Cairo, R. Riyadh sound like a box of pissed-off hornets, and VOK is so bassy/barotone I have to max the tone to treble.
The VOA does actually report world news among their programming-top of the hour and on the half..they did a piece on N. Korea I heard this morning in the 1200utc hour on 7575kHz out of Thailand.

Voice of Justice (Iran) is way overmodulated too, I have to use headphones and turn the volume way down, and even then I pick up about half of it. I don't have a tabletop SW rx, I'm using a Degen 1102 which is fine for most listening. By the way, the 0400 bc of VOK doesn't have the jammer, but you seem to be a morning person.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 03:59:12 PM »

I am an all-day dxer (retired) I run it with my morning coffee, occasionally monitor utilities in the daytime and catch MW DX and some SWBCs with my tea at night Smiley I'll have to check prop to Korea in that 0400 hour. Hey, good that we're listening, you never know when a BC will go away forever.
BTW I see the "un" transported his long ranger to the coast today. Playing too much.
Also saw mil aircraft parked at SFO earlier on my way home..of course that could be because of the POTUS being here-but there were a couple c5 Galaxies in there.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 06:18:33 PM »

I am an all-day dxer (retired) I run it with my morning coffee, occasionally monitor utilities in the daytime and catch MW DX and some SWBCs with my tea at night Smiley I'll have to check prop to Korea in that 0400 hour. Hey, good that we're listening, you never know when a BC will go away forever.
BTW I see the "un" transported his long ranger to the coast today. Playing too much.
Also saw mil aircraft parked at SFO earlier on my way home..of course that could be because of the POTUS being here-but there were a couple c5 Galaxies in there.

Try 13760 khz at 0400. It comes in pretty well.

Yeah, there's a lot of military buildup going on in the Pacific because of El Fatso and his temper tantrums. The good news is that he doesn't seem to be massing troops on the border, as he would for an invasion. I think the biggest risk to him is actually China-eventually Beijing is gonna get sick of him, if he keeps up, and replace him. The Chinese could have his head on a platter tomorrow if they so desired.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 06:52:12 AM »

I videoed a little piece last night-0400utc hour on 15180kHz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFIj2TSfTcc
N6PG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 02:57:46 AM »

This is the same kind of anti-American broadcast I received from N Korea on my old teletype machine back in 1985.  They were sending teletype messages about the Imperialist American's who were going to invade Cuba any day. As a kid that was a great thrill to receive. I wish I kept the paper that printed from my machine.
Scott N6PG
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 03:55:40 PM »

Try 13760 khz at 0400. It comes in pretty well.

Yeah, there's a lot of military buildup going on in the Pacific because of El Fatso and his temper tantrums. The good news is that he doesn't seem to be massing troops on the border, as he would for an invasion. I think the biggest risk to him is actually China-eventually Beijing is gonna get sick of him, if he keeps up, and replace him. The Chinese could have his head on a platter tomorrow if they so desired.

If you think China is sick of North Korea you need to lay off the Kool-Ade.  They just concluded joint military exercises.  Of course our domestic yellow media is trying to portray a rift between China and North Korea, but we don't have to believe our domestically produced propaganda any more than we have to believe the North Koreans.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: