Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mounting 102 inch stainless steel whip on truck bedside  (Read 3462 times)
KC0YEW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 06:58:37 PM »

The ball mount i have ordered has arrived.  I am waiting for the rain to quit before i go out to install it.  I am also waiting on a 1/2 inch drill.  I am not as much worried about bending sheet metal...The truck *used* to look great but over time the rust is starting to get to it but the motor is still strong so i am not going to worry about it.  Maybe some day i will repair the rust but the rust is not a priority.  I have wondered about possibly making a hole so i could sink a two by four or *some* other thickness of wood in between the layers (i havent measured the distance between the layers, or possibly cutting a hole in the bottom layer so i have a place to mount through) Just so i have a firm location to mount through. 
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »

In my college days, I worked as a radio tech for a county agency that installed a lot of low band /\/\ ball mounts.  If you want to mount to sheet metal body skin, you'll need either a one inch hole saw (and a steady hand) or better, a one inch knock-out punch for sufficient clearance for the ball through-bolt.  A 3/4" electrical box conduit punch is close to an inch diameter and would work.  Borrow from an electrician?

The three plastic insulator ring holes are usually 1/4" OD holes and you can use the insulator as a drilling guide.

Another approach that would solve going through both the outside and inside bed skins....... If you were to get about 2 feet of 3" X 1/4" aluminum flat bar, you could make a bracket shaped like this...  __|-------|__   Bent in the shape of a large handle.  You could mount it using sheet metal bolts to the bed wall on the inside and mount the ball facing inward on the bracket.  Easy to route the coax to/from it, and only two or four small holes on the inside bed wall.  Something you could easily plug up later when you want to sell the truck.

Lee
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: