Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New QRP RADIO: X1M QRP Transceiver $299  (Read 54961 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2013, 01:07:59 PM »

Thanks
There is already one review up here on eham. If you get a chance to review it, that would be great .

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/11065

Still using Windows XP Pro.
WA3RSL

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2013, 03:46:15 PM »

Translated via Google:
The overall design brief
     Mass production X1MKII portable HF +6 m shortwave mode radio circuit structure is designed for 3-conversion circuit, the first IF of 64MHz high frequency program, the second IF 455KHz, ensure the performance of the receiver, may arise from a variety of stray fell to the working band, the indicators can reach a higher level. By design, the RF front-end dynamic range of 40 to 45dB, anti-blocking performance is also very good, can withstand about 25dBm input signal directly and not overloaded. Aircraft design, dynamic range 110dB, preamplifier, a put, two discharge can be controlled by the AGC. Impedance matching circuit at all levels, careful matching of design at all levels of the IF filter to guarantee the passband, with fluctuations less than 1 dB, ensure the machine's selectivity and low noise levels. Continuous design of front-end band-pass filter to achieve continuous coverage from 0.5MHz ~ 55MHz. After three converted IF signal is sampled by the ADC into the digital signal processing circuit for coherent demodulation, anti emission process.
    The machine receiving channel a large number of ADI's new models of IC design, so that the overall performance remains at a good level. RF power section uses all the Mitsubishi power tube series, and CNC bias circuit to control the various parts of the amplifier, so that the part of the circuit almost free debugging, and improve the overall reliability of the indicators can be ensured.
    X1MKII motherboard uses a 4-layer board design, the core digital board 6-layer design, the key unit circuit fully shielded, the resulting EMI / EMC improvement is very obvious. Extensive use of digital control and digital modulation and demodulation circuit, in addition to improve the consistency of the product, but also reduce the traditional circuit debugging, to reduce debugging workload and difficult to debug, DIY hands to bring the gospel.
Transceiver frequency range:
RX: 0.5 ~ 30M, 50 ~ 55M
TX: 0.5 ~ 30M, 50 ~ 55M
All continuous band transceiver;
Mode: SSB / CW / NFM / AM / RTTY
Receiver sensitivity: better 0.3uV
Operating voltage: 9 ~ 20VDC (the case of very low voltage, the output power will be reduced)
Transmitting power: maximum output of 20W, the segment average, power continuously adjustable
Receive Current: 0.42A @ Min
Emission current: 4.5A @ Max
Hand microphone interface: RJ45
Total mass: about 0.65Kg
Machine size: 128mm * 50mm * 180mm

Key indicator parameters:
Carrier suppression: ≥ 50dB
Vestigial sideband suppression: ≥ 50dB
Frequency stability: 0.5ppm
IF selectivity: ≤ 3 (60dB and 6dB bandwidth than)
Spurious harmonic components: ≤-45dB
The stray parasitic components: ≤-50dB
Design the whole dynamic: 110dB
AGC control characteristics: 80dB range output variation is less than or equal to 6 dB
Audio output power: 2W

Basic functions:
Large dynamic preamplifier, pre-fader;
The built-in voice compression, the compression ratio optional;
With NR function;
Power supply voltage indication;
With different frequency transceiver function, A / B can be independently set different modes and parameters;
Optional frequency mode, channel mode (100 channel storage);
With S table, Po table, SWR table shows;
The total reception channel gain can be adjusted;
Digital IF;
Built-in high VSWR protection, protection point can be set;
Built-in temperature sensor, intelligent control built-in fan for forced air cooling, can be set from the control temperature, fan operation mode can be set;
Boot interface can be set to display the call sign;
Built-in automatic key function, adjustable rate, and a practice mode (this mode emission);
Equipped with the the ATU interface, can be connected to the external ATU;
With external PTT, external audio input, the machine audio output interface, to facilitate the expansion of peripherals;
Connection with the HRD software, full-function control (fully compatible with ICOM full range of machines);
Equipped with multi-function microphone in hand (combined use HM-133 type microphone in hand);
Custom chassis, buttons, knobs;
Equipped with a handle;
Equipped with an on-board mounting bracket;
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2013, 05:27:05 PM »

Why didn't they build in a cheap AD USB soundcard/serial board for IF tap/PC control? That's like $5 worth of parts.

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2013, 05:31:31 PM »

Here is another place to get one:  http://www.kightradio.com/QRP-HF-Radios_c_87.html
Looks like they will have a 20 watt model out soon.

John AF5CC

That looks promising..  160m-6m, IF out, I/Q out. Serial control.
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2013, 06:25:56 PM »

A little confusing- is it general coverage RX? Any other comments? Build quality?

Dale W4OP
VE3KXX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 11:27:35 AM »

A little confusing- is it general coverage RX? Any other comments? Build quality?

Dale W4OP

I can comment on the X1M (not the MKII) - I think the MKII is a completely different bird than we're talking about here.  It's not just an upgrade, I think it's a completely new design.

The X1M board is very well put together and the radio is simple enough to operate if not a bit fiddly for large fingers or those with sight issues.  Documentation is still a bit sketchy and there are menu options in setup that aren't very well explained (if at all). Receive quality is a bit tinny on the small speaker and headphones are recommended for optimal operation.  The overall build quality is good - but just lacks a tiny bit of finish which still makes the radio look like a kit build.

There are filters which switch in and out in each band segment, you can hear a click when you transition from one to another.  My example is programmed with general coverage transmit although I think that they intend to block that in later shipments. I did read somewhere that the intent was to inhibit transmit outside of ham bands on the US model.

Receive quality on 10-40M is good but I still struggle with the built in speaker.  It does receive general coverage but note that the unit only receives CW and SSB, there are no AM or FM modes.  When using VFO B, the pre-amp turns on and gives weak signals a boost - I believe that this is selectable as you can also use VFO A/B to operate split frequencies.

I have made a couple of contacts so far.  Gotten decent reports on 20M SSB but the supplied stock microphone seems a bit insensitive.  I have read a couple of articles in the yahoo group saying that there are some adjustments inside the unit for microphone level.

The unit is supposed to be IC718 compatible and useable with HRD.  The comm port on the back looks every bit like an RS232 level port but thusfar has yielded nothing with respect to connection to my PC.  It is interesting to note that I did notice a marked increase in noise and a few extra birdies while I was testing this feature.  When I disconnected the cable the noise went away.  The manual doesn't say anything about the levels (TTL or RS232) nor does it give any pin outs related to the connector.  At this point I haven't tested PC control.

It's no KX3 or FT817, but for the fairly slim price of $300, it's a great little radio and I'm very happy with it so far.  I intend to pack it with me when I travel along with a lightweight set of dipoles and a small rechargeable battery pack.  I'll post more when I get a bit more experience with the unit and will post a review once I'm satisfied with my initial findings.

Hope this helps.

John VE3KXX
KC8HQX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2013, 07:54:10 PM »

How good (or bad) is selectivity?

K5DE

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2013, 08:49:45 AM »

And the best:
INTERNATIONAL ORDERS
We will be happy to ship to other countries however we can not accept "Credit Cards" Payment must be made via Bank transfer or Western Union Only

yes of course, sound trust.

Sound business.

if you want a good QRP transceiver just go for elecraft K1 or K2.

I bought and built a K1 4-band, but can't figure out where to plug in the mic for SSB.  As for the K2, if you go three times the price it's not really a justifiable comparison.  This little radio could fill a niche nicely.  I've just moved into digital communications, and if this could be made to work, it's one I'd consider for remote digital (or other) operation -- I'm not inclined to leave my main radio on when I'm away from the QTH, but a cheap second PC and a rig like this, might be worth doing.  It would also become a second radio for mobile set up with the K1-4, the reason i bought the K1 kit (though haven't actually done much in the way of mobile set up yet).

Rick
K5DE
KG0MN

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2013, 04:35:47 PM »

Here is the translation of the specs for the MKII

X1MKII mass-produced portable HF +6 m shortwave radio whole section full mode circuit structure designed as three times the IF DSP inverter circuit, a first intermediate frequency is 64MHz high frequency program, the second intermediate frequency is 455KHz, great guarantee of the receiver performance, it may also produce a variety of spurious band fell into work, the indicators can reach a higher level. By design, the RF front-end dynamic range up to 40 ~ 45dB, anti-blocking performance is very good, can withstand direct about 25dBm input signal is not overloaded. Machine design around 110dB dynamic range, preamp, an intermediate level, two intermediate level can controlled by AGC. Circuit impedance matching between the various levels are done, carefully designed to match the levels of the IF filter
PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2013, 06:52:50 PM »

Here is the translation of the specs for the MKII

X1MKII mass-produced portable HF +6 m shortwave radio whole section full mode circuit structure designed as three times the IF DSP inverter circuit, a first intermediate frequency is 64MHz high frequency program, the second intermediate frequency is 455KHz, great guarantee of the receiver performance, it may also produce a variety of spurious band fell into work, the indicators can reach a higher level. By design, the RF front-end dynamic range up to 40 ~ 45dB, anti-blocking performance is very good, can withstand direct about 25dBm input signal is not overloaded. Machine design around 110dB dynamic range, preamp, an intermediate level, two intermediate level can controlled by AGC. Circuit impedance matching between the various levels are done, carefully designed to match the levels of the IF filter
Sound Chinese to me  Grin Grin Grin
WD8KTQ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2013, 06:49:44 PM »

I have had mine going on 2 months now and can say it is probably the most fun I've had in my 36 years of ham radio. I have worked about 20 countries on 15, 17, and 20 meters SSB. This all with a ground mounted 5BTV antenna. Haven't tied it on CW yet just because I'm a little rusty at CW.
Mark (KV8T)
BG8OKU

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2013, 08:17:34 AM »

Translated via Google:
The overall design brief
     Mass production X1MKII portable HF +6 m shortwave mode radio circuit structure is designed for 3-conversion circuit, the first IF of 64MHz high frequency program, the second IF 455KHz, ensure the performance of the receiver, may arise from a variety of stray fell to the working band, the indicators can reach a higher level. By design, the RF front-end dynamic range of 40 to 45dB, anti-blocking performance is also very good, can withstand about 25dBm input signal directly and not overloaded. Aircraft design, dynamic range 110dB, preamplifier, a put, two discharge can be controlled by the AGC. Impedance matching circuit at all levels, careful matching of design at all levels of the IF filter to guarantee the passband, with fluctuations less than 1 dB, ensure the machine's selectivity and low noise levels. Continuous design of front-end band-pass filter to achieve continuous coverage from 0.5MHz ~ 55MHz. After three converted IF signal is sampled by the ADC into the digital signal processing circuit for coherent demodulation, anti emission process.
    The machine receiving channel a large number of ADI's new models of IC design, so that the overall performance remains at a good level. RF power section uses all the Mitsubishi power tube series, and CNC bias circuit to control the various parts of the amplifier, so that the part of the circuit almost free debugging, and improve the overall reliability of the indicators can be ensured.
    X1MKII motherboard uses a 4-layer board design, the core digital board 6-layer design, the key unit circuit fully shielded, the resulting EMI / EMC improvement is very obvious. Extensive use of digital control and digital modulation and demodulation circuit, in addition to improve the consistency of the product, but also reduce the traditional circuit debugging, to reduce debugging workload and difficult to debug, DIY hands to bring the gospel.
Transceiver frequency range:
RX: 0.5 ~ 30M, 50 ~ 55M
TX: 0.5 ~ 30M, 50 ~ 55M
All continuous band transceiver;
Mode: SSB / CW / NFM / AM / RTTY
Receiver sensitivity: better 0.3uV
Operating voltage: 9 ~ 20VDC (the case of very low voltage, the output power will be reduced)
Transmitting power: maximum output of 20W, the segment average, power continuously adjustable
Receive Current: 0.42A @ Min
Emission current: 4.5A @ Max
Hand microphone interface: RJ45
Total mass: about 0.65Kg
Machine size: 128mm * 50mm * 180mm

Key indicator parameters:
Carrier suppression: ≥ 50dB
Vestigial sideband suppression: ≥ 50dB
Frequency stability: 0.5ppm
IF selectivity: ≤ 3 (60dB and 6dB bandwidth than)
Spurious harmonic components: ≤-45dB
The stray parasitic components: ≤-50dB
Design the whole dynamic: 110dB
AGC control characteristics: 80dB range output variation is less than or equal to 6 dB
Audio output power: 2W

Basic functions:
Large dynamic preamplifier, pre-fader;
The built-in voice compression, the compression ratio optional;
With NR function;
Power supply voltage indication;
With different frequency transceiver function, A / B can be independently set different modes and parameters;
Optional frequency mode, channel mode (100 channel storage);
With S table, Po table, SWR table shows;
The total reception channel gain can be adjusted;
Digital IF;
Built-in high VSWR protection, protection point can be set;
Built-in temperature sensor, intelligent control built-in fan for forced air cooling, can be set from the control temperature, fan operation mode can be set;
Boot interface can be set to display the call sign;
Built-in automatic key function, adjustable rate, and a practice mode (this mode emission);
Equipped with the the ATU interface, can be connected to the external ATU;
With external PTT, external audio input, the machine audio output interface, to facilitate the expansion of peripherals;
Connection with the HRD software, full-function control (fully compatible with ICOM full range of machines);
Equipped with multi-function microphone in hand (combined use HM-133 type microphone in hand);
Custom chassis, buttons, knobs;
Equipped with a handle;
Equipped with an on-board mounting bracket;

Yes, I‘m just waiting for this Smiley
KB6MHK

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2013, 11:34:16 AM »

new pictures:

http://www.hellocq.net/forum/read.php?tid=318494
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2013, 11:15:37 PM »

FWIW DEpartment: 
Click on the above link at your own risk!
My AVAST antivrus blocks this site and
I get a "Trojan Horse Blocked" warning.

I got the same warning on some of the OTHER
www.hellocq.net links in this thread, too.
But hey, it's your computer........

You can find other avenues of information for this rig.
GL ES 73, Ken  AD6KA
BG8OKU

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2013, 08:00:53 AM »

I do not get the virus warning .
BTW: I'm a pc-cllin antivirus user.

FWIW DEpartment: 
Click on the above link at your own risk!
My AVAST antivrus blocks this site and
I get a "Trojan Horse Blocked" warning.

I got the same warning on some of the OTHER
www.hellocq.net links in this thread, too.
But hey, it's your computer........

You can find other avenues of information for this rig.
GL ES 73, Ken  AD6KA
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: