Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dared to challenge Canadian basic exam... passed!  (Read 4785 times)
VE5EIS

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2013, 07:18:48 PM »

Hi,

Been on the forum a few months but until now have been unlicensed.  I'd picked up the Canadian licensing manual a couple of years ago but never got around to getting ready for the test as I should have.

The local club advertised a licensing course so I enrolled in January.  So far so good.

Yesterday at class, the instructor advised a student had asked to challenge the exam and asked if anyone else was interested.  I was encouraged to consider challenging it.  I had nothing to lose (the club doesn't charge us for exam attempts) so I went, sure, let's do it.  I didn't think I was ready to pass yet but I figured I'd at least get an idea of where I stood.

Wouldn't you know that I got a 76 on the exam - not enough for HF privs but enough to get me started on VHF and UHF.  What a pleasant surprise!  (And I now know I'm close to getting my Honours license to get onto the really interesting bands.  Smiley )

Not only that, but within 18 hours of *starting* to write the exam, I was in the Industry Canada database.

I tried to go on the air this morning on the local 2m repeater, but I think I need a better antenna from my house.  Still, it was cool to be able to try and be legal.  I'll try the 2m net tomorrow night and see what happens.

Sites like this have been a great encouragement, and the ham community the world over is very motivating.  I appreciate all the kind words and attempts to motivate.  Smiley

Jim (VE5EIS)
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 10:50:01 PM »

Congrats on the basic exam Jim. I still remember my first ever qso as a new novice in May `75. Worked a station in Lancaster,PA,about 100 miles from here on 80m cw. Nervous as hell! Almost couldn`t complete the contact. Our local YMCA had a nice club station,with a separate novice and general station setup. Good luck,and hope to hear you on the bands.
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 02:51:16 PM »

Congratulations - and by the way your call sounds fantastic in CW. Only one Dah and all the rest Dits.

Clint - W5CPT -
VE5EIS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 02:53:07 PM »

Congratulations - and by the way your call sounds fantastic in CW. Only one Dah and all the rest Dits.

I know - great motivation to learn CW, isn't it?  Smiley

Thank you both for the kind words.

Jim
VE5EIS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 09:14:04 AM »

Update:  wrote the scheduled exam on Saturday (May 18, 2013) and now I'm a Canadian Basic with Honours.

In English:  I now have access to all amateur frequencies with a maximum of 250 watts of power.  Before I was just on all amateur frequencies above 30 MHz.

Now... to learn CW!  (And an Advanced certificate is probably in my future too, but one challenge at a time...)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: