Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any interest in VHF operation from DM15?  (Read 3737 times)
WO2C

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2013, 07:47:50 PM »

Greetings, All. I've been away from 2 meter SSB/CW since the early 1990's, and have never operated 6 meters except for a few local QSO's. Therefore, I thought I'd pose this to those of you who are more knowledgeable about VHF.
I've recently relocated to the high dessert of California and find myself living in the middle of DM15. With plans for a simple, portable station (100 watts, 4 elements on 2 meters, and perhaps only a dipole on 6 meters), I'm wondering how much interest there might be among the VHF/UHF community.
Though not the rarest of grids, DM15 probably isn't the most activated either. If nothing else, it might be fun during the VHF contests. Any insight from more experienced and current VHF ops would be appreciated.
Ray, WO2C
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 08:15:46 PM by WO2C » Logged
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:09:32 PM »

There is a bunch of guys operating in the Phoenix area SSB and then switch to PSK.  Not sure what nights they are on but if I find out I'll post here.  Been wanting to get on 2 myself.  Sounds like fun to QSO several hundred miles and then you never know, an opening may occur. 

Rick  wn2c
WO2C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 05:37:08 AM »

Hi, Rick, and thanks for your reply. Having been away from VHF for so long and being new to the region, I can't know what the level of activity here might be. It's good to "test the waters" with a modest station before I go for the 11 element beam and the amplifier. Another favorable condition is my elevation here. This might work out.
Ray, WO2C
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 02:16:41 PM »

Hi Ray, you will just have to tune the bands for awhile with some small beams to see what you hear first.
A high location is very nice to have but you may need to call CQ  for some time to get attention.
144.200, 50.125.
High gain beams and hi power is the need.
Good luck.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 07:41:13 PM »

Ray, the locals are on 144.300 USB and then switch to Olivia 8-500, starting at 1900 local AZ Phoenix time.  Keep in mind Arizona does not use Daylight Savings time.  Hope this helps.  I am working on putting up a ten element on a 35 foot tower running 100 watts.  Maybe we can try it some time.

Rick  wn2c
WO2C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 08:36:03 PM »

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Rediscovering VHF SSB & CW after a two-decade lapse might be fun and your guidance is very helpful. As stated in my initial post, I'll probably start off with 100 watts and 4 elements. (But, I've already begun looking over amplifiers and larger beams.)  Wink
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 08:44:03 AM »

Ray, DM15 is actually fairly popular and always activated during the VHF contests (and pretty commonly activated in between).

Look for us in the June VHF QSO Party as N6VI, operating from DM04 about 75 miles northwest of Los Angeles: We operate from Frazier Peak, at 8012' above sea level and can "see" DM15 from there.  When the rovers hit DM15 on the higher bands (including 10.3 GHz), they're always strong.
KI6TQT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 09:01:17 AM »

Greetings, All. I've been away from 2 meter SSB/CW since the early 1990's, and have never operated 6 meters except for a few local QSO's. Therefore, I thought I'd pose this to those of you who are more knowledgeable about VHF.
I've recently relocated to the high dessert of California and find myself living in the middle of DM15. With plans for a simple, portable station (100 watts, 4 elements on 2 meters, and perhaps only a dipole on 6 meters), I'm wondering how much interest there might be among the VHF/UHF community.
Though not the rarest of grids, DM15 probably isn't the most activated either. If nothing else, it might be fun during the VHF contests. Any insight from more experienced and current VHF ops would be appreciated.
Ray, WO2C

I'm no old soul so take it with a grain of salt, but there were more people on the air above 50MHz for the 2012 June VHF contest than I heard before or since. It seems to be the one non-HF contest per year that SoCal Hams come out. See you from DM12 June 8th!

http://www.arrl.org/june-vhf
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 09:48:35 PM »

I'm still looking for DM15 from CM87 (or CM97 when I drive up to Mt. Diablo). In another month, 6 meter openings will start to become common. With luck, maybe we can make contact.

Dave, N6ORB
WO2C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 09:05:03 AM »

Hi, Dave. If we can hear one another, I'll be happy to provide you with this grid.
Thanks again to all of you more experienced VHF ops for the advice.
Ray
N7DMA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 08:38:56 PM »

Hi, Ray:

Down here in Tucson, AZ (DM42) we have a 2 meter SSB net every Thursday night at 1900 mst, on 144.210 mHz. Usually there are about 8 - 16 checkins. We just like to keep tabs on each other, and talk about our exploits on the bands. Net control duty is split between Chris, N7JND and myself. Kind of a long haul for you, but give it a try!

On Sunday mornings, there is another net, the Side Winders on Two net. Pete, N6ETA is net control. Usual checkins are from the southern arizona region, but used to get checkins from as far as ABQ & Las Cruces, N.M. Laddy, N8EWU in Apache Junction, AZ is a regular (abt 90 miles north of me), and he has a good station. He works into the L.A. area regularly after that net. SWOT Net, Sunday mornings, 0830 mst, 144.250 mHz. Some good VHF stations there.

You might want to try those two nets, and maybe drop Laddy an email. As far as I know, his email is good on QRZ.

Hope that helps!

Karl
N7DMA
DM42
N7DMA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 08:59:10 PM »

Ray:

Neglected to mention my fairly recent attempt at a 2m CW net. Can't seem to stir up much activity, but I do enjoy a weekly ragchew on CW with KD7UUN. He only lives about 5 miles from me. Monday evenings, 1900 mst, 144.080 mHz.

My station is pretty limited by HOA restrictions, and Mike and I usually run about 5 watts. Lemme know, and I'll crank up the power to my max 50 watts to a halo in the attic.

There is also a 6 meter AM net at 2000 mst on 50.400, and a 6 meter SSB net on Weddesday at 2000 mst, 50.130 mst. For a full list of local Tucson nets, visit:  http://www.oprc.org/node/18

6 meters is kinda catch as catch can. Es season is fast approaching, though!

As with my previous post, all times are local, with no adjustment for the time change.

Karl
N7DMA
Tucson, AZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: