Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consider Linux? I did and ...  (Read 44253 times)
NO5J

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2015, 08:35:52 AM »

OS software isn't supposed to be a contest. There is no best OS, only a best with your specific situation. Freedom to choose whichever, is something few understand, but many seem to have "Expert Opinions" about, so you won't be bothered with researching the truth. I use whatever works best for the task I assign it, I use all three of the Operating Systems in discussion here. It's hard to actually quantify "Best" if thats your aim then may I suggest an eHam review posting. My OS's do what I expect from them. My choices aren't chosen because an eHam forum poster dictates something is so. Figure out what you want to do, research what's capabe of doing that, then choose, then do. I doesn't matter who wins the Miss OS beauty pagent, reserve that technique for selecting swimwear. Just don't wear it in public. Wink
KB1HTW

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2015, 11:04:23 AM »

Late to the party...

One thing I didn't see in this thread (skipped a few of the pages in the middle) is the fact that Linux is very much like the amateur radio fraternity:

One person designs and builds a new rig/antenna/tuner/etc, and shares the plans and the experience with others. Linux and the Free/Open Source Software (F/OSS) model is the same. Tinker with code and share it. Build off the success of others by sharing source code. Need software to decode a digital voice stream? Yes, you can write your own or buy it, but the bought code may not provide a feature you want. With open source, if you have the technical ability, you can modify and add to the source code. With proprietary software, you can't (unless you can obtain the source from the author).

How do you think Linux has just about totally overtaken the network device market (most all home and small business routers use it, as well as lots of big iron by Cisco, Brocade, etc.), the Internet server market and the smartphone market (Android). The Internet is built on open source...
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2015, 12:05:41 PM »

Late to the party...

One thing I didn't see in this thread (skipped a few of the pages in the middle) is the fact that Linux is very much like the amateur radio fraternity:

One person designs and builds a new rig/antenna/tuner/etc, and shares the plans and the experience with others. Linux and the Free/Open Source Software (F/OSS) model is the same. Tinker with code and share it. Build off the success of others by sharing source code. Need software to decode a digital voice stream? Yes, you can write your own or buy it, but the bought code may not provide a feature you want. With open source, if you have the technical ability, you can modify and add to the source code. With proprietary software, you can't (unless you can obtain the source from the author).

How do you think Linux has just about totally overtaken the network device market (most all home and small business routers use it, as well as lots of big iron by Cisco, Brocade, etc.), the Internet server market and the smartphone market (Android). The Internet is built on open source...

Very true about Linux. Lets look at it from a ham radio perspective...

One wonders what would happen if PSK31 wasn't free to use and required a software license and an expensive $1500 modem, how many would use it today?

Would Packet or APRS have been as popular if only one manufacturer was allowed build it and TNC's cost $800?

On the other hand, would the adoption rate of DStar have been much higher if any manufacturer could add it to their radio without royalties, licenses, exclusive agreements and special proprietary chips?

Imagine if APRS software cost $100 and was proprietary.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
KC5YSQ

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2015, 07:30:01 PM »

I always fall back on the old saying "you can lead a horse to water but ya can't make him drink it". People seem to take the wrong/hard way all the time in life. In anything...except WORK. I am OVERJOYED that I am aware LINUX exists. If I had not discovered red hat when I did, I am afraid I would have left computers waaay back then. I consider myself a wise man. I have yet, however, to find logic in paying for trouble when you can get a LOT LESS trouble and WAY more variety for free. I do everything myself though. I go by the adage if it exists and I use it, I have to maintain it. Thank the Good Lord for Linux.
KC5YSQ
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2015, 10:19:51 AM »

I always fall back on the old saying "you can lead a horse to water but ya can't make him drink it". People seem to take the wrong/hard way all the time in life. In anything...except WORK. I am OVERJOYED that I am aware LINUX exists. If I had not discovered red hat when I did, I am afraid I would have left computers waaay back then. I consider myself a wise man. I have yet, however, to find logic in paying for trouble when you can get a LOT LESS trouble and WAY more variety for free. I do everything myself though. I go by the adage if it exists and I use it, I have to maintain it. Thank the Good Lord for Linux.
KC5YSQ

YES! ALL PRAISE TO OUR GOOD LORD LINUS TORVALDS!
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2015, 07:55:16 PM »

Interesting....people used to say this very same thing about Windows but with Bill Gates name in the sentence. I use Windows (XP, 7 and 8.1), Mac (and iOS) and my daily driver, Linux.

KC5YSQ

YES! ALL PRAISE TO OUR GOOD LORD LINUS TORVALDS!
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: