Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows XP - the end approaches......  (Read 17439 times)
W2RWJ

Ignore
« on: April 08, 2013, 05:50:57 PM »

With the end of support for Windows XP on the horizon, I started building replacements for the hodge-podge of XP computers at the N2MO station.

The "new" operating position computers are HP DC7900  CMT (Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 80GB HD).  OS is volume licensed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Monitors are HP2208W and HP 1506L

Here's the question:  Anyone have recommendation on cheap (less then $40.00 each) video cards that will support the above dual monitors configuration?  Cost is a major factor in this decision

73 Martin Flynn
W2RWJ

KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 12:18:21 PM »

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3853853&CatId=28

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=149617&CatId=3585

Check the exsising dual graphic and make sure theres not a win 7 driver avaiable for the exsisting on board chip set.

73, DE  Dave KD8GEH
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 04:31:07 AM »

Just an observation--with all due respect.  With the title of this thread, it was probably expected that it contained something about WinXP, not a request for a low price video card solution for a newer OS/computer combination.  
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 10:09:12 AM »

Have you checked the specs for the OEM cards now in the computers. Many of the Win 7 capable computers have video cards/cipsets the support dual monitors already. One monitor per output connection. That is the "VGA" connection and the HDMI or the other HD video out can drive separate monitors.

KF7CG
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 05:16:25 PM »

Have you checked the specs for the OEM cards now in the computers. Many of the Win 7 capable computers have video cards/chipsets the support dual monitors already. One monitor per output connection. That is the "VGA" connection and the HDMI or the other HD video out can drive separate monitors.

I tried using an HP  481408-004 (displayport to VGA) adapter, would not work. I guess I can't expect too much from a pile of "free" computers.

73 Martin Flynn
W2RWJ
KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 07:54:38 AM »

Did you update the display driver for win 7?  Did you check the bios and make sure the internal deiplay ports enabled?

73, Dave
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 04:08:54 AM »

Received the answer from HP:  The smaller monitor does not have suitable drivers for Windows 7.   Swapping to a pair of HPL2208W worked fine.

In case anyone is curious, this is slated to be the standard image for N2MO:

*  Open Office - Open Office is a free replacement for Microsoft Office.  Very solid and can read or write to any existing Microsoft file format.
*  Thunderbird E-mail Client
*  Firefox  web browser with adblock (no more blinking ads on QRZ)
*  N3FJP logging software, Network Version
*  N3FJP WeatherWarn:  http://www.wxspots.com/wxwarn.htm
*  Fundraiser Select Software - multi-user membership and donor tracking software: http://www.fundraisersoftware.com/products/for-medium-or-growing-nonprofits/fundraiser-select
*  CutePDF:  Allows creation of PDF files from any windows application: http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 04:12:20 AM by W2RWJ » Logged
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 05:28:10 AM »

Just an observation--with all due respect.  With the title of this thread, it was probably expected that it contained something about WinXP, not a request for a low price video card solution for a newer OS/computer combination.  

I agree with one exception, I don't respect posters who can't CLEARLY state a topic.  They just use up other people's valuable time deciphering what they REALLY meant.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 05:44:39 AM »

I agree with one exception, I don't respect posters who can't CLEARLY state a topic.  They just use up other people's valuable time deciphering what they REALLY meant.

No one is forcing you to come here and answer peoples questions.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 08:05:17 AM »

No one is forcing you to come here and answer peoples questions.

I am not commenting on answering questions.  My comment refers to the need to actually open a message to only find out that the title in no way represents the content of the message.  THAT is a time waster.
KD8TZC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 05:00:52 AM »

As an IT industry person, I'm not migrating any of my XP computers away from that operating system.  Yes, the end is near for XP, but the software works quite well and is a lot lighter on the hardware than Win 7.  WIth that being said though, it sounds like you have already migrated from XP or have made your mind up to do so.  It does provide some nice eye candy, but lots of overhead.

One of the places I would look for good, inexpensive video cards is New Egg (http://www.newegg.com/Video-Cards-Video-Devices/Category/ID-38).

You didn't say, but what type of port does the memory card need on your computer board?  I know that model has a built in video card, but I believe you stated that you want dual monitors.  I'm not sure the port needed on that board though.  I'm going to take a gander that it is a PCIe 2.0.  The big question that will determine the cost of the card for the most part will be the amount of memory that you desire.  If you are just using business style apps, then you can get away with less memory, and likely spend $30 - $60 for a decent video card.  If you also intend to play high quality graphics (e.g. games, videos, etc) on the machine, then get more memory.  If it were me, I would look for at least 1Gb of memory on the video card and go from there.  Also, will you need a DVI port or will a standard port work (or do you need an HDMI port)?

John

John - KD8TZC
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 07:05:01 AM »

As an IT industry person, I'm not migrating any of my XP computers away from that operating system.  Yes, the end is near for XP, but the software works quite well and is a lot lighter on the hardware than Win 7. 
As an ex IT manager, (thankfully retired), I am not migrating from XP unless I HAVE too...  Right now I see no reason to move...  My main OS is Linux, and I only keep XP around for MixW, and N3FJP...  N3FJP could be replaced by CQRLog which runs under Linux, so the only reason for XP is MixW...  I may virtualize a machine up under Linux, use a licensed XP and just do away with the XP machine...  I can just bring back the XP drive if something happens.  For that matter, I could just run N3FJP software as well in the virtual machine...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KA6MLE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 11:02:35 AM »

I missed the memo on Windows 98 expiring, it's still on one of my laptops for Packet/WinLink  Roll Eyes I have XP on my other Ham computer and as long as it has a modern virus protection program I think it will do great.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 03:42:47 PM »

Gosh, all the cheap old-fart hams are coming out of the woodwork on this one.
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 04:05:20 PM »

As an IT industry person, I'm not migrating any of my XP computers away from that operating system.  Yes, the end is near for XP, but the software works quite well and is a lot lighter on the hardware than Win 7.

John,
We are running under W7 downgrade licenses at the moment (MS volume licensing).   The "problem" is that the lack of patches after the end of official support.   Even with Sophos and a decent firewall, the risk of a zero day attack is too high for a network with so many users (41 active in AD with logins)

With only volunteer IT support, I need to make this as stable as possible.

73 Martin Flynn
W2RWJ
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: