Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows XP - the end approaches......  (Read 17473 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 04:56:16 PM »

As an IT industry person, I'm not migrating any of my XP computers away from that operating system.  Yes, the end is near for XP, but the software works quite well and is a lot lighter on the hardware than Win 7.

Delaying the inevitable as XP is 13+ years old now and very dated. As far as easier on hardware this is not true unless you are trying to load 7 on a old XP computer. The silly part is even a modern cheap entry level PC can easily run win7 quickly and DDR3 ram is dirt cheap and modern system use far less power too which with a larger network can add up to thousands of dollars a year in savings energy and cooling bills. In end you are not really saving much if anything at all.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 04:20:57 PM »

I agree with W8JX.  It is time to move on.  XP is dead.  I just upgraded computers including getting rid of XP and it was "good riddance".
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 07:15:57 AM »

...I just upgraded computers including getting rid of XP and it was "good riddance".

"Good riddance?"  XP was and is one of the most stable windows platforms out there.  I know of companies who are buying new machines that are STILL getting Win XP professional installed on them.  Yes, I agree that its dated and that as it gets older there are less and less software offerings that will run on them, but tell that to the people who still run Win 98 because there are certain programs that will NOT run on the newer systems due to speed and size differences!

Planned obsolescence is all well and good--but would YOU want to be treated that way when you get older?  Yes, it does happen to humans too!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 07:34:08 AM »

...I just upgraded computers including getting rid of XP and it was "good riddance".

"Good riddance?"  XP was and is one of the most stable windows platforms out there.  I know of companies who are buying new machines that are STILL getting Win XP professional installed on them.  Yes, I agree that its dated and that as it gets older there are less and less software offerings that will run on them, but tell that to the people who still run Win 98 because there are certain programs that will NOT run on the newer systems due to speed and size differences!

Planned obsolescence is all well and good--but would YOU want to be treated that way when you get older?  Yes, it does happen to humans too!

It says something for the companies limited IT experience and understanding. Most Stable OS I ever used was 64 bit Vista and 64 bit 7 is about the same. As far as stable old OS'es, Win 2000 was far more stable than XP was and before that NT4. Win9x were the most unstable of the lot. As far as not run on newer system due to speed and size is pure BS. If it does not run it is because the code either poorly written or not properly compiled into proper 32 bit code.

Again this points back to IT's lack of understanding and knowledge of how to adapt and change with times. No way would I by new modern hardware and instal a 13 year old OS on it. Dumb.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 07:46:19 AM »

I know of companies who are buying new machines that are STILL getting Win XP professional installed on them. 

This is true - it assumes that that have a Volume license available to them with downgrade rights (Vista and Windows 7 came with this option)  Sale of new machines with OEM versions of XP ended quite a while back.

The only reason we are running windows at all is the clubs selected applications require it.

Martin
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 08:11:29 AM »

It says something for the companies limited IT experience and understanding. Most Stable OS I ever used was 64 bit Vista and 64 bit 7 is about the same. As far as stable old OS'es, Win 2000 was far more stable than XP was and before that NT4. Win9x were the most unstable of the lot. As far as not run on newer system due to speed and size is pure BS. If it does not run it is because the code either poorly written or not properly compiled into proper 32 bit code.

Again this points back to IT's lack of understanding and knowledge of how to adapt and change with times. No way would I by new modern hardware and instal a 13 year old OS on it. Dumb.

I agree that perhaps in the past, an IT department may have thought vista and win7 not as stable as XP but I doubt anymore.
By far, the reason for still getting XP on companies computers is cost.  The last company I worked for was still on XP and in a few months will beging going to Win7.  Why?  We had 40,000 computers to upgrade.  Along with that, we also had to upgrade copies of Office.  So, 40,000 * $500 gives a cool 20 million and another 20 million or so in personnel costs. Not small change when the board wants costs in IT reduced.

VA2FSQ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 08:50:16 AM »

I agree that perhaps in the past, an IT department may have thought vista and win7 not as stable as XP but I doubt anymore.
By far, the reason for still getting XP on companies computers is cost.  The last company I worked for was still on XP and in a few months will beging going to Win7.  Why?  We had 40,000 computers to upgrade.  Along with that, we also had to upgrade copies of Office.  So, 40,000 * $500 gives a cool 20 million and another 20 million or so in personnel costs. Not small change when the board wants costs in IT reduced.

I understand your point but you also need to factor in the potential for increased productivity too. New hardware and software lets you do more in less time. Then, 40,000 old PC's use a lot of power and make a lot of heat too. There is the potential to save a lot of coin on energy bills too which mitigates cost of upgrade too.

VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 09:46:10 PM »

Unfortunately many large companies do not grasp the concept of increased productivity, its all about cutting costs at any cost.
So the productivity drops, the frustration increases, and before you know it, the company is closing down or operations are shifted to another part of the world.

They kill creativity and motivation.

VA2FSQ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 07:39:05 AM »

Unfortunately many large companies do not grasp the concept of increased productivity, its all about cutting costs at any cost.
So the productivity drops, the frustration increases, and before you know it, the company is closing down or operations are shifted to another part of the world.

They kill creativity and motivation.

I agree and few even remotely consider the energy costs being greatly reduced with new hardware too.

K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 07:16:43 AM »

Gosh, all the cheap old-fart hams are coming out of the woodwork on this one.

At least they have call letters and aren't hiding their identities... and actually making useful posts. Imagine that?
NW0LF

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »

Among the computers here, I run a pair of DELL OptiPlex GX-270 computers that are P4-3.2GHz with 2 GB ram running Win7 32 bit and one is even running a WinXP virtual machine using VMware player.  For my needs, it runs just fine.  I am not a gamer and yes I do have dual core computers here.  I keep the old Plex's running because they do what I need them to do in the manner I want them to.  When they let out the factory smoke, I will replace them with dual core computers.  It is not being a cheap old fart ham.  I'm a field service tech and I hate to recycle any old equipment if it can do what I want in a reasonable manner.

Wolfie
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 04:27:46 PM »

If it ain't broke - don't fix it  Roll Eyes
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 04:39:14 PM »

Among the computers here, I run a pair of DELL OptiPlex GX-270 computers that are P4-3.2GHz with 2 GB ram running Win7 32 bit and one is even running a WinXP virtual machine using VMware player.  For my needs, it runs just fine.  I am not a gamer and yes I do have dual core computers here.  I keep the old Plex's running because they do what I need them to do in the manner I want them to.  When they let out the factory smoke, I will replace them with dual core computers.  It is not being a cheap old fart ham.  I'm a field service tech and I hate to recycle any old equipment if it can do what I want in a reasonable manner.

Wolfie

The P4 can double as a coffee warmer and room heater too! Those CPU's alone used about 100 watts.

KA6MLE

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 09:31:13 AM »

The P4 can double as a coffee warmer and room heater too! Those CPU's alone used about 100 watts.

Well let's see. An average killowatt hour cost about .10 and 100 watts is 1/10 of that so that cpu is costing .01 per hour... I think I can afford that.  Roll Eyes
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 09:59:09 AM »

Well let's see. An average killowatt hour cost about .10 and 100 watts is 1/10 of that so that cpu is costing .01 per hour... I think I can afford that.  Roll Eyes

That's just CPU, then there is motherboard, video, HD. etc and power supply of that era that draw about 300 watts+ for computer then display. Figure on at least 4 cents a hour x 24hr x 7 days x 52 weeks equals about $350/yr per system. ( it could actually be even higher) Cheaper in long run to use a faster modern and more energy efficient system. They can use less than 100 watts for every thing.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: