Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows XP - the end approaches......  (Read 18434 times)
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 10:41:27 PM »

Gosh, all the cheap old-fart hams are coming out of the woodwork on this one.

A crude, unnecessary, irrelevant comment if there ever was one.  What got your panties all in a bunch?  Lighten up and learn to show some respect.  You'll be "old" a darn sight sooner than you think and wonder where the time went just as all of us have.  Wish I could be there to see you respond to a similar comment.  You'll throw a hissy-fit to end all hissy-fits, I'd bet my station on it!
Tom
KB9VGE

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 12:36:14 PM »

Lighten up and learn to show some respect.  You'll be "old" a darn sight sooner than you think and wonder where the time went just as all of us have. 
Lighten up and get a sense of humor.  Now that Im "there", age wise, Im proud to call myself an "old-fart".   It wasnt easy getting here (and being on the cheap side definitely helped).
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 05:19:02 PM »

Dear everyone that now you are running windows 7 and windows 8 and can't go back to XP.
A) Too bad.
B) Leave the rest of us alone
Smiley

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 06:02:54 PM »

Dear everyone that now you are running windows 7 and windows 8 and can't go back to XP.
A) Too bad.
B) Leave the rest of us alone
Smiley

What an idiotic comment.  No one is forcing you to get out of the past and upgrade.  If you want to run a relic OS, then have at it!
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 06:06:50 PM »

A crude, unnecessary, irrelevant comment if there ever was one.  What got your panties all in a bunch?  Lighten up and learn to show some respect.  You'll be "old" a darn sight sooner than you think and wonder where the time went just as all of us have.  Wish I could be there to see you respond to a similar comment.  You'll throw a hissy-fit to end all hissy-fits, I'd bet my station on it!
Tom

I must have hit the nail on the head with you -

Cheap, check.
Old, check.
Fart, check.

Yep.    Grin
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »

I must have hit the nail on the head with you -

Cheap, check.
Old, check.
Fart, check.

Yep.    Grin

Yes you did, but called wrong nail as you really nailed yourself and it does not bode well for you. Good way to wear out your welcome fast. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2013, 07:32:18 AM »

One word:  Linux!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2013, 07:48:56 AM »

One word:  Linux!

While Linux is a viable OS it lacks a good consistent GUI as it varies with different versions and some driver support still. One reason Windows got so big was a consistent interface and driver support.   

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2013, 09:16:30 AM »

One reason Windows got so big was a consistent interface and driver support.   

That, and some of their business practices.   Wink

But seriously, I've been thinking of re-purposing my XP desktop to give Linux a try.   

Vince
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2013, 09:47:31 AM »

But seriously, I've been thinking of re-purposing my XP desktop to give Linux a try.   

It is worth a shot if you do not mind messing with it to get it to work for you.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2013, 10:00:21 AM »

Tom

A very simple way exists to deal with people who refuse to show their face.  Ignore them.  All that most of these unidentified people want is to stir up the pot.  If denied that, they'll go away.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2013, 10:06:07 AM »

One reason Windows got so big was a consistent interface and driver support.   

That, and some of their business practices.   Wink

Yes, the latest Gnome GUI change sort of surprised me, I suspect Gnome will maintain the new GUI for the next five or so years...  If you pick one distro, and stick with it, for the most part, the GUI does not change as often as Windows changes GUI's...  Every version of windows, is a bit different, and Windows 8 is a LOT different!  If you have not been looking at Linux for a few years, the driver issues are all but gone for run of the mill hardware...  For the odd hardware, like a high end scanner, you can get no support...  I always check my hardware prior to purchase, in 99% of the cases I have no issues...

If you are looking for the net install disk, try:
http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst
Be sure to try Gnome, the new interface is "interesting", and at first I thought I would hate it.  After using it, it is faster, and simpler to use than the old interface...  Much to my surprise, I actually like it, but only after giving it a few weeks of use.  I gave a copy of the net install to a friend, he did it, and Gnome, and he had the same feelings, hated it when he saw it, but after using it for a week or so, liked it...  Very odd, I am not used to disliking something and having a total turn around...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2013, 10:12:31 AM »

I'll stand by my statement.  There are companies that simply won't pay extortion rate fees to upgrade the OS the company uses.  If the system they're using now works for them, they'll continue to use it.

The comment about the newer hardware is slightly off base, however.  True, newer hardware sometimes uses less energy, but just like any other power supply, a computer supply puts out only what it has to to power the computer it is connected to.  Just because a supply is rated at 400 watts does not mean that it runs at that 400 watts every minute.  Likewise it doesn't mean the newer equipment will definitely use less.

The older OS that may be loaded onto a newer hardware unit will run just fine on that newer hardware unit too.  One does NOT have to have a new OS to pair with their new hardware.  That is yet another fallacy.  Yes, there may well be some hardware and drivers that the older OS won't support, but there is almost always either a driver that will work.  Likewise there is almost always a work-around so the hardware will function--or you just do not use that hardware.  Simple and to the point, so to each their own.  There is no law that says you have to upgrade anything, so if older OSes and PC systems work for you, Microsoft and the computer hardware makers will have to survive without your contribution.  They will survive, nonetheless.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2013, 10:49:05 AM »

I'll stand by my statement.  There are companies that simply won't pay extortion rate fees to upgrade the OS the company uses.  If the system they're using now works for them, they'll continue to use it.

It is not that expensive for OS. It is site licenses for Office software that can get pricey.

The comment about the newer hardware is slightly off base, however.  True, newer hardware sometimes uses less energy, but just like any other power supply, a computer supply puts out only what it has to to power the computer it is connected to.  Just because a supply is rated at 400 watts does not mean that it runs at that 400 watts every minute.  Likewise it doesn't mean the newer equipment will definitely use less.

No off base at all. New equipment is far more energy efficient in two way, one is the average and peak draw is much less and second modern systems compile and execute 3 to 5 times as many instruction per watt of energy as old one do. Die sizes are down to .022 microns and shrinking and with that power demand and increase in yeild per wafer which means lower hardware costs too. 

The older OS that may be loaded onto a newer hardware unit will run just fine on that newer hardware unit too.  One does NOT have to have a new OS to pair with their new hardware.  That is yet another fallacy.  Yes, there may well be some hardware and drivers that the older OS won't support, but there is almost always either a driver that will work.  Likewise there is almost always a work-around so the hardware will function--or you just do not use that hardware.  Simple and to the point, so to each their own.  There is no law that says you have to upgrade anything, so if older OSes and PC systems work for you, Microsoft and the computer hardware makers will have to survive without your contribution.  They will survive, nonetheless.

This is really a waste here. XP was never design to efficiently work is a true multi core environment and is not efficient on modern hardware. Vista and beyond was design around modern multi cpu hardware and USB2, 3 and SATA. Putting XP on new hardware is like putting lipstick on a pig , it is still a pig and XP on new hardware is still a dated inefficient and soon to be unsupported OS hamstringing new hardware.

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2013, 12:04:16 PM »

What is this? Operating system wars? Geesh . . .

Run what works for you. There is no "correct" operating system. I have been using Windows or DOS since 1987 so I have used almost every version that's has been released. Windows Me was horrible as was Vista though I know some people like Vista.

My main personal machine is a Mac running Mountain Lion.  My work laptop is currently Windows 8. I have a desktop at home running Windows 7 as another laptop. I have found, in my case, Win 7 to be the most stable version I have ever used. Less blue screens and system problems for me that any other version I have tried.

Linux: I don't want another hobby. That's why I bought the Mac. I want things to simply work as far as my computer goes at home and the Mac does simply do what I require. In my experience, getting Linux to do everything I require for personal computing takes too much time and effort. And there is no reward for doing so.

It really boils down to this. What application software do you need to run? Answer that, and that will influence your operating system choice for you.

If you want to run XP, fine. When I ask people why they insist on running XP, they never have a technical reason, it's always been they simply don't want to upgrade. Ohh they tell me all kinds of things, but there has never been a technical reason  . . . . Some people don't like change. That's OK.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:20:38 PM by K5UNX » Logged

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: