Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you have "ESP" hearing?  (Read 3640 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2013, 07:56:40 AM »

I recently heard someone say "Some DX-ers have ESP hearing".

I laughed because if you have been a lowband DX-er, or if you live at the bottom of a bowl with hills all around - or have to pick signals out of the noise, you develop this listening skill.

One guy who is amazing this way is Vlad, UA4WHX.

Rich
KY6R
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:13:15 AM »

They even tried communicating from space using ESP!

http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/5/esp.php

"Edgar Mitchell, an astronaut aboard Apollo 14, was the sixth man to walk on the surface of the moon. While on board the spacecraft, he conducted a series of private ESP experiments....."

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 08:22:04 AM »

I have DSP. But I do use ESP from time to time.  Cool
AA9RN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 08:50:56 AM »

I wish I had it. The wife says I have selective hearing thou. But no use for dxing
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 11:15:07 AM »

I wish I had it. The wife says I have selective hearing thou. But no use for dxing

Sounds familiar from 40 years ago. "how can you make anything out of that noise and not hear me say carry out the trash ?"

She aptly called it selective hearing.

On a slightly more serious note...... I think the radio gators (2+ kw)  employ this technique.

73 Tony N5UD
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 12:23:17 PM »

Actually it is. QRM is QRM no matter where or who it's coming from  Grin
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 12:27:34 PM »

Actually it is. QRM is QRM no matter where or who it's coming from  Grin

Once you get really good at it - you don't need a narrow filter for someone only 1 kc away . . .
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 12:50:52 PM »

If someone has a 3db better hearing than I do does that equate to adding 3db to an antenna?  On some really weak signals I believe the answer is yes.  I do believe that some are better as ESP than others.  The biggest challenge is believing in yourself...I wish I could use my ESP ability to work more new ones.

Jonathan W6GX
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 09:58:13 PM »

I often have a case of ESP on the lowbands, 160 especially. But I must be doing something right since well over 95% are confirmed from the first QSO and pretty well everything else I re-worked when condx were better. For me to log an ESP the timing has to be perfect and I must get at least 3 characters of my call. I'll repeat a couple of times and listen for what sounds like a QSL. Again, the timing has to be accurate.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 08:09:14 AM »

I often have a case of ESP on the lowbands, 160 especially. But I must be doing something right since well over 95% are confirmed from the first QSO and pretty well everything else I re-worked when condx were better. For me to log an ESP the timing has to be perfect and I must get at least 3 characters of my call. I'll repeat a couple of times and listen for what sounds like a QSL. Again, the timing has to be accurate.

I agree and have pretty much the same experience.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 08:25:06 AM »

They even tried communicating from space using ESP!

http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/5/esp.php

"Edgar Mitchell, an astronaut aboard Apollo 14, was the sixth man to walk on the surface of the moon. While on board the spacecraft, he conducted a series of private ESP experiments....."

He has walked on the moon and picks up advanced degrees like most get the common cold but I have to believe NASA wishes they never selected him as an astronaut.  

From his little green men conspiracy theories to his claim he was cured of kidney cancer by a teenaged "remote healer" despite never getting a biopsy which proved he has cancer this man proves even people with many advanced degrees -- and who were astronauts, can be crazy.

The only normal thing about him is his love of the almighty dollar.  He tried to auction off a camera NASA supplied him to take photos while on the moon.  NASA sued him, he lost, and the camera is now in a museum.

Chris/NU1O
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 08:34:15 AM »

I really am lost with some ham lingo so please excuse me.  When you guys were writing about "The Deserving" I asked who determines who is deserving and who not.  I had never heard of that phrase.

Likewise with this ESP topic, I take it you guys mean the signal is right at the noise level, you hear a few letters and/or a number of your call and you deduce it's your call because of that info and that you're in sync with the other station.  Am I correct?  I hope nobody is making an Edgar Mitchell-like claim of paranormal ESP.

Chris/NU1O
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 09:13:01 AM »

Even though my hearing is not the best, I have always had a "gift" of being able to pick that weak cw signal out of the garbage, etc.   If I have heard it clearly, just once, THAT tone will always be audible to me, among QRM, QRM, QSB, no matter how weak, until it is completely gone.
I sometimes wonder why I can still hear the DX and everyone else has stopped calling. I always think "surely I cant be the only one hearing him......... Huh. ESP, for sure Cool.

However, I DO have a lot of trouble hearing SSB stations.  Its not the accents as much as so many of them sound like they are either 10 feet away from the mic, OR, have it IN their mouth. hi hi I am never able to really tune the station to suit my hearing unless they are VERY strong...   (Probably why I dont like to work SSB)

73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:18:05 AM by AF3Y » Logged
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 09:48:59 AM »

Quote from: NU1O link=topic=89282.msg666832#m. sg666832 date=1365608055
I really am lost with some ham lingo so please excuse me.  When you guys were writing about "The Deserving" I asked who determines who is deserving and who not.

Google Hugh Cassidy, WA6AUD, West Coast DX Bulletin, etc.  VE1DX has a site too. 

Please try not to take it literally.  There's no committee.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 09:58:09 AM »

Quote from: NU1O link=topic=89282.msg666832#m. sg666832 date=1365608055
I really am lost with some ham lingo so please excuse me.  When you guys were writing about "The Deserving" I asked who determines who is deserving and who not.

Google Hugh Cassidy, WA6AUD, West Coast DX Bulletin, etc.  VE1DX has a site too.  

Please try not to take it literally.  There's no committee.

Until I read the "Cass" and VE1DX articles, I used to think that phrase "The Deserving" was really annoying. I also thought "DX IS" was a bit "dweeby".. But after reading a whole bunch of these absolute gems about DX-ing - I am hooked. Its as much fun as the Gil cartoons that I love. Having been a QRP-er - but now "reformed" as a little pistol with a 500W amp, I love the way he refers to "QRP-ers".

I think the writing is genius - because the stories sum up the feelings I have when DX-ing. Especially when you get all worked up about something and then remember its only a hobby and laugh at the "passion".

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:02:48 AM by KY6R » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: