Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single Level Paddle ?  (Read 3049 times)
N6SBN

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:22:44 AM »

I am brand new to CW.  I have a single lever paddle.   The TS-590s menus allow for the Dash to be made by hand, and the Dit's to be automatic.  Would the panel of experts say this is the right way to set up my single lever paddle?

Thanks  Craig
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:39:14 AM »

I'm a new CW op, certainly no expert, but when I'm trying to copy a QSO, I definitly appreciate fully automatic keyers ( does both ditd and dahs).
The problem with dits only is that most guys don't time the dahs in proportion to the preset dit speed, making it difficult to listen to due to the erratic unevenness.
I use an automatic keyer so that I am reinforcing the sound of proper CW timing, so that if I ever want to do straight key, I will probably do it correctly from hearing proper timing while learning.

just my 2 cents...

K9OJT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 08:58:30 AM »

Craig...

That setup is for a bug.

Mode "A" should work for your SL paddle.

Mode "B" seems to be for Iambic keys.

Hope this helps

Mike AC8IR
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 09:38:20 AM »

A and B represent different timing patterns for handling your paddle.  Suggest reading up on them.  In the early electronic keyer days, manufacturers programmed their products for one or the other.  These days, most keyers can be user programmed for either timing.  Either mode can be used for single or double-lever paddles.  I suggest getting used to the B mode, but others may differ. 

Neil N3DF
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 11:26:51 AM »

I am brand new to CW.  I have a single lever paddle.   The TS-590s menus allow for the Dash to be made by hand, and the Dit's to be automatic.  Would the panel of experts say this is the right way to set up my single lever paddle?

Thanks  Craig

Hi Craig, I think that mode with the Dash made by hands and the dit to be automatic would be to mimic a semi-automatic key such as a vibroplex bug, only using it with a set of paddles. I would think you would want to find a mode that makes both the dits and the dashes automatic.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 12:12:15 PM »

Seems to me that since Iambic A or B relates to the auto dots or dashes from SQUEEZING, and you can not squeeze a single lever paddle, then it doesn't really matter WHAT you set it for. Bug mode sure won't be correct though!

paul
K9OJT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 01:02:08 PM »

Seems to me that since Iambic A or B relates to the auto dots or dashes from SQUEEZING, and you can not squeeze a single lever paddle, then it doesn't really matter WHAT you set it for. Bug mode sure won't be correct though!

paul

According to the online manual (page 33) Mode A sends only what is keyed...Mode B sends an additional dot or dash depending on the last one sent. Mode B is actually Mode B iambic.

As you indicated both contacts on a SL cannot be closed simultaneously thus preventing the use of Mode A as being used for Mode A iambic keying.

Mode A should be the logical choice.

Mike AC8IR
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 01:30:14 PM »

According to the online manual (page 33) Mode A sends only what is keyed...Mode B sends an additional dot or dash depending on the last one sent. Mode B is actually Mode B iambic.

As you indicated both contacts on a SL cannot be closed simultaneously thus preventing the use of Mode A as being used for Mode A iambic keying.

Mode A should be the logical choice.

Mike AC8IR

My understanding of mode B is that it'll add a dit to a dah, or dah to a dit, IF both paddles are closed, then simultaneously released.  With a single-lever paddle, both paddles are never closed at the same time, so I think that either mode A or mode B will work.  In fact, I just tested iambic modes A and B with the single-lever paddle connected to my K3, and there was absolutely no difference in the way they worked.

By the way, there should be nothing wrong with using bug mode with a single-lever paddle, provided that you want the key's operation to be bug-like, i.e., you form the dahs manually, and let the keyer form the dits.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 05:00:46 PM »

The hardest transition I had to make with different types of keys was going from Mode B to my old Vibroplex Presentation.  I was so used to having the dahs made automatically (and perfectly!) that I'd just wait, sending an extra-long dah, and wondering why it was "stuck"!

For me these days, it's Mode B or straight key.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
IK0YGJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 02:48:51 AM »

Hi Craig,
just set the keyer to iambic mode and forget any other set up: your single lever paddle will work perfectly.
If you want, you make take a peek on the chapter of my book devoted to the different kind of keys and keyer.
73 Carlo IK0YGJ

Download Zen and the Art Of Radiotelegraphy free in PDF format here:

http://www.qsl.net/ik0ygj/enu/index.html

Now in 4 languages: Italian, English, German, French 
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »

Hi Craig

I do have a TS590 and a single lever key and a Iambic paddle and a bug hooked up ll together on the TS590.

The single lever uses the TS590 build in electronic keyer.

The Vibroplex bug and the single lever key are both parrlel hooked up on the straight key entrance on the TS 590 the single lever is operated by a Pico Keyer of N0XAS.

In the TS590 your single lever can be hooked up on the big Jack connector (1/4 inch)
In the menu you can select iambic mode A or B but for me the single lever key tends to give an extra point every now and then when I use Iambic B mode.
This happens on both the TS590 as on the Pico Keyer.
So I put them both on Iambic mode A.

For your TS 590 the settings are:
Menu number 32: electric keyer mode A/B  choose for Iambic mode A or B yourself
Menu number 38: bug key function OFF.

good luck with your CW learning Craig.

73 Jos   
N6SBN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 02:56:25 PM »

Thanks all.  You're great!   Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print