Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC-706mkII for CW  (Read 3271 times)
KF4ZGZ

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2014, 08:06:15 PM »

Hi all!

My main rig is a very "experienced" Icom IC-725.
Simple, plain and bare bones, but it is a pretty good all around rig.

I also have an Icom IC-706mkII that I would like to use for portable work and do more cw and digital with it.
I was just wondering if there is anything other than filters I can do to optimize the 706mkII for CW.

Thanks,

Matt
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 08:16:56 PM »

"No".

The radio doesn't require any special modifications.  It works fine on CW.

Modern radios have more ways of interfering with a good signal, and many newer hams often don't understand proper settings.

-DSP/ NR Noise Reduction, OFF, Always for CW/Digital modes
-NB, Noise Blanker, OFF
-AGC, OFF or FAST. Always for CW/Digital modes
-IF Shift/Passband, Centered, adjust as needed once QSO established
-ANF Auto Notch Filter, OFF, adjust as needed once QSO established
-PreAmp, OFF, unless using a very weak antenna and more useful on upper bands
-Filter: Wide for search, then select narrow 500hz/300hz as needed
-Sidetone: adjust for a tone you can hear well and is comfortable. Tones between 500hz - 700hz are most commonly used by experienced ops.

Practice tuning by ear.  Practice Zero Beating a received signal, then turning on the BK IN mode for transmitting.

Enjoy!  The 706 is a great little radio.  bill

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:33:47 PM by KB4QAA » Logged
KC7YE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 09:00:35 PM »

Agree with the above. Use a very well traveled  706 for mobile CW. And is my backup when snowbirding. Don't even have CW filter in it and not going to spend the $ for filter for rig with well over 150,000 miles. Too bad Icom quit building the 706.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 09:47:45 AM »

I did a fair bit of CW with an IC-706mkIIg.  It worked fine.  The internal keyer is iambic, so any paddle works OK.

I used an "RTTY/CW" filter, bandwidth 350 Hz (I think).  IMHO, it's worth getting a CW filter (I think they're available in 250/350/500 Hz bandwidth).   They're not difficult to install.

.             Charles
KI5WW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 07:24:19 AM »

Every hf rig for the last, say 15 years i have purchased optional cw filters.  Its a must have for me.  I have a 706 mkIIg. With the 500 hz filter.  Works great.  If your budget allows try it. 
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 09:21:51 AM »

A 500hz filter can greatly improve the performance of any cw rig. Many(but not all) rigs use plug in filters,so if you find you want to try a different filter it`s no problem. As opposed to soldered in filters. Having a filter(s) installed will make your rig more desirable when you go to sell it.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 05:30:43 PM »

I have a MKII (non-G) with a 350Hz filter that I think is fine for CW. I prefer something better for a very seriously demanding operation like, say, a QRP sprint operating among non-QRP signals, but the 706 MKII is a fine all around radio IMHO. It has pretty decent QSK (full break-in), too.
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 05:36:12 PM »

When I purchased my new 706g in Tokyo back when they were first announced, one thing I noticed was the price of filters, etc 'over there'.
Less than $50 for cw, ssb filters, etc. so I loaded mine up.
Yes, it's the "European" version and the coverage on 2M was different.
But it has been an excellent radio and replaced several other Icoms in my inventory, including the highly valued 575H. The receiver in the g was as good, or better than the 575H........

ron
N4UE
KE4ILG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 07:52:59 AM »

I have used my IC-706 (original model) for years without a filter for cw.  When I added the 250hz filter it was like buying a brand new radio.  I hunted for a  signal then turned on the very narrow 250 hz filer and it was a joy to operate. 

When I started out in ham radio I used a heathkit SB101 which receiver seemed to be as wide as a barn and would listen 4, 5, sometimes more qso's while working one of them.  The difference with a narrow filter is astounding but the wide receiver really makes you concentrate on the station you are working.   73 Mike ke4ilg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: