Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just ordered a refurbished TS-590S.  (Read 2732 times)
KD5FHW

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2013, 05:33:43 AM »

I saw yesterday that a popular retailer has some Kenwood Service Center-refurbished TS-590S' in stock for about $110 less than factory-new units. I had a factory-new TS-590S for a few months and only got to use it a couple of short times, but the receiver and tuner impressed me, so I decided to get another and figured that one that has been gone over by the service center is probably even better than a factory unit.

Does anyone have any experience with refurbished ham equipment?

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 06:44:05 AM »

I've bought a bunch of refurb gear over the years--computers, consumer electronics, cameras, and such.  My TS-480 is a refurb from Ham City, saved me a bunch.  The only time I've had a problem was with a negative scanner from B&H Photo.  I told them it didn't work and they sent me another one, zero problems.  Just MHO but refurb gear can be a real bargain, and as you say, it's just been checked by service people.   :-)   GL 73!  --ken
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 07:06:41 PM »

Probably doesn't apply to the '590 in question, but much "refurbished" electronic equipment isn't refurbished at all, that is repaired because of defects -- just perfectly good items returned to retailers by consumers for various reasons (often times because they can't figure out how to use it), who in turn send it back to manufacturers who check it out and repackage it for resale.

Mel - KS2G
KD5FHW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 10:04:22 PM »

Yeah, I used to work in retail electronics and there were certain items that upon return, whatever the reason, we had to send to refurb to be checked for functionality and repackaging. Some of the stuff was faulty, but most was just fine and returned for various reasons. I'm just hoping that Kenwood-refurbished means that it has been thoroughly checked for alignment and output before repackaging. I know not all the radios that come from the factory (or even the service center) can be 100% perfect, I'm just thinking that I've got a better chance at near perfection being that someone has put some test equipment on it.

KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 07:12:03 PM »

Is that "poplar retailer" offering any kind of warranty?

Many of them do for even the used gear that they bench-test and/or repair/refurbish themselves.

That said -- by going refurb you said you'll be saving $110 -- less than 10% off the current $1,600 street price of a brand new radio with a factory warranty.

Is it worth it?

Meel
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 04:41:18 AM »

Usually 'refurb' gear has the same warrantee as new gear or a similar one.  AAMOF, I've never come across any factory refurb item that doesn't.  Buying refurbished gear does have advantages over buying brand new, only one of which is the cost.  Contrary to popular opinion, not all new gear is checked or tested.  They only pull samples from every run to check.  Refurb gear has been checked.  73!
KD5FHW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 05:00:07 AM »

It's got a one year warranty, same as factory new. If it weren't a Kenwood backed radio I wouldn't have ordered it. I don't trust third party refurbs.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:03:10 AM by KD5FHW » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: