Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-1000 output power drift  (Read 5950 times)
VA3UT

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2013, 07:58:55 AM »

Hi all,

I have an FT-1000 that I have been using for a while with no issue.  Recently, I noticed a strange behavior of this fine radio.  When I key on CW right after the radio is turned on, the PO meter fluctuates like crazy.  I see the same on the SWR meter, so it is for sure something is not right.  However, when I talk to people in SSB mode, they don't hear any issue.

The fan kicks in after few minutes of transmitting, the problem seems disappearing.  When the final is warmed up and the fan is running, I don't see this problem any more.  However, it comes back when it cools down.

What could the issue?  Will I be able to find the source and service it myself?  I have some basic skills and knowledge in electronics but not an electrical engineer.

I appreciate any input and comment.

Thanks,

Chris  VA3UT
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 05:33:46 PM »

And this happens into a dummy load???
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 09:20:47 AM »

Sounds like a heat problem.  Is the heatsink obstructed by anything?  Can you feel a radical change in heatsink temperature?  Could also be a poor solder connection.....loose final(s) mounting screws..... anything that would cause the finals to heat up.
IZ4GRP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 02:40:43 PM »

First you have to know if really is a problem of power out or swr:
try to tx into a dummy load (N4ATS) and an external swr/po meter.
So you can understand if the problem is real or the ft1000 meters and its circuits are "crazy" during initial cool service . GL '73
VA3UT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 07:58:37 AM »

Thank you for all replies.  I will open the case tonight and will do some visual check.  I forgot to try it do a dummy load, so it takes more tests to determine the source of the problem.

Best 73,

Chris
VA3UT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 07:36:03 PM »

When it does happen, it happens to all bands and all power levels either to a dummy load or to an antenna.  I have same readings from both the meter on the rig and the external wattmeter, so it is not a meter issue. 

The problem is, it doesn't always do the same.  When I checked it last night, it was just fine, however I can see it now.  It seems to go away after few minutes of transmitting.  The sideband transmit audio is fine even when it does this.  I didn't try how it sounds like with CW mode.

I am suspecting some cold solder or loose connector.  Is it easy to access the final of this radio so that I can re-solder it?  I don't have a service manual.

Thank you for your help.
VA3UT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 12:34:09 PM »

At this point, I don't think I can handle the repair myself.  Could someone recommend a repair shop that I can send my FT-1000 for repair?

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: