Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Significance of 1.805 MHz  (Read 4946 times)
W8QAS

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2013, 08:42:17 AM »

I discovered my radio tuned this morning to 1.805 MHz on AM.  When I disconnected last night due to the upcoming storms, I was on 3.816 on SSB.  My grandfather was an old CW guy.  His call sign was W8QAS.  I barely knew him and know very little about his experiences with ham radio.  I know he helped set up MARS in WWII in Cincinnati, OH.  I have a hand written letter of thanks from Harry Truman. Other than that, I no very little details.  So with that, can anyone tell me what might be significant about this frequency from back in the old days?  What brought this about.  I was awaken this morning during the storm with CW coming from my office.  As I neared my office, I could see my Kenwood TS-940 lit up but not other light coming from my office as I had shut everything down including my computer.  I also had disconnected everything (power, feed-lines, internet).  When I got to my office, the room when dark and no CW.  My wife and I both heard it loud and clear.  In fact she commented that she thought I had everything shut down for the weather.  One extra twist, my key was sitting in the center of my desk.  I haven't had it out in over a month.  My desk was cluttered with D-Star equipment as I am trying to master it.  It was all pushed aside and the key was front and center.  If anyone has any ideas, I sure would like to hear them.  Note: this wouldn't be a joke by my wife, she wouldn't know where to find my key, I keep stored behind my radio and one would have to know it was there.

Thanks,
Roy, W8QAS
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:16:47 AM »

I'm guessing you are about to be visited in the night by three ghosts; the Spirits of DX Past, DX Present, and DX Future.  You will wake up the next morning, ask a neighborhood child to go buy a big goose, and send a QSL to Tiny Tim for your last QSO.  :-)
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 09:20:44 AM »

Oh, there's another possibility.  Remember the story about the old shoemaker who was visited in the night by elves?  The elves entered his workshop while the shoemaker was asleep and made shoes for him to sell the next day.

Maybe the elves showed up in your shack with some sort of plan in mind, but got busy seeing what was happening on 160m and never did get around to making any shoes or whatever. 
W8QAS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 09:28:33 AM »

Really, that's the best you two could come up with? 
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 11:42:32 AM »

Seriously, you might be sleep-walking...
Things don't move by themselves, so someone did it.
Most likely you. Why you have no recollection of it and why you might have done it is another matter..
People have done strange things while sleeping, even drive and commit murder. Not that you would, LOL.
My point is that people can perform complex tasks while sleeping and not remember.

Gil.
KV4BL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 12:06:31 PM »

Hello Roy!  I'm guessing you have already at least considered the possibility that your grandfather (or other person) was trying to let you know they are there, or send you a message from the other side.   I am sure there will be no shortage of naysayers and haters on here in quick order, but I am comfortable enough with my experiences that I don't really care.

Friends, relatives, and others who have already made the transition DO stick around and check on us from time to time.  They do everything from engaging in mischief such as moving or hiding objects, to knocking on walls, to turning lights on or off (opposite of how you left them), to leaving little presents.  One lady of my acquaintance whose father used to give her dimes all the time when she was a little girl, said he apparently now leaves them laying around the house she lives alone in.  They turn up in odd places where there was no logical reason for them to be and where there were no dimes shortly before she found them.  This is the house she grew up in and which her dad was living in when he passed, some years ago.  

Do you know Morse well enough to copy it?  Were you able to make any of it out before it stopped?   I know, it is difficult for me to copy a repeater ID unless I am expecting it and "prepared" for it.  Did the Morse you heard sound like it was coming over the air, or from your side tone?   If from the side tone, that all the more would make me believe that my guess is correct.

Great story and thank you for sharing it with us!   Please keep us posted.

Ray  KV4BL
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:41:59 PM by KV4BL » Logged
KV4BL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 12:13:28 PM »

One other thing Roy; you said that you don't have a lot of things that belonged to your grandfather, other than the letter from Harry Truman.  I know this is a long shot, but could ANYBODY in your family have any of his old radio logs?   Those might be helpful in the 1.805 mystery.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 01:01:03 PM »

Don't completely discount your spiritual happening,remember rf from brainwaves while alive go on for eternity through space and who knows what shape,form or action possible receivers may take(we will all find out for sure once we get there).Until we do I'll put my money on the sleep walking theory,since I've done one or two strange things during the night myself.In the mean time enjoy your reacquainting with grand dad.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:09:30 PM by W1JKA » Logged
W8QAS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 04:02:06 PM »

Thanks for responses.  If it is okay, I'd like to group my replies.  As a pilot for over 20 years and a licensed aircraft mechanic for five, I am a creature of habit.  There is a place for everything and everything in its place.  When I get my key out, I use it.  When I am done, it gets put away.  I get it out about every six weeks to two months.  My wife's office is next to mine. our bedroom is at the other end of the house.  I was asleep in the bedroom.

I have checked and the logs were thrown away when they cleaned out the house.  Grandma died not long afterwards and the house was cleaned and sold.  At one point in the '80's I lived just a couple of doors away and stopped in and asked if they knew of anything.  I was told the house was gutted and remodeled before they moved in.

I wasn't able to copy any of the code. It wasn't a repeater.  The code was being hand sent.  It had inflections that weren't mechanical.  I wasn't sleep walking. My wife was up getting ready for work (in her office) and she was hollering at me because it was very loud and questioned what the radio was doing on during the storm.  All of the power and antenna connections were disconnected.  She was just about to come in and wake me to ask if should be left on.  I consider grandpa visited me.  I have often wondered who had contact with him, if he wrote any articles and submitted them for publication, or just if he had regular contacts that might still be around.  To my knowledge, he had no one he mentored.  I spent the day trying to prepare to record it if it happens again.    Hey Thanks.  If anything comes from this, I'll be sure to post it.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 04:32:20 PM »

... The code was being hand sent.  It had inflections that weren't mechanical. ...  I consider grandpa visited me. 

What if it was, not your grandpa, but some Evil Spirit who wanted you to THINK it was your grandfather?  Your ham shack isn't built over an old Indian grave site, is it?

Maybe it's Elvis, and you just couldn't read his code because of the Southern accent and the pills?

W8QAS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 04:39:40 PM »

Nope, no evil spirits or built over a graveyard or anything.  This property has been in my wife's family for a couple of weeks at least.  Seriously, they have owned/resided here for ore than 50 years.  The locals are just that, locals.  When I retired here, I almost needed a passport and papers.  The neighbors don't believe there is anything haunting here.  We have never experienced anything like this here before.  Before I moved here, I lived in 180 year old farm house that had it's share of stories but no ghosts.  nothing out of the ordinary other than the occasional illegal.  Again, thanks for the responses....
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 08:19:54 PM »

That`s a great story Roy. I`d say you did indeed get a visit from your grandfather. I don`t know of any significance of that frequency other than there`s a fishing beacon there(HV8E). Maybe he liked 160m. I`m sure your grandfather is happy you`re using his call. I`d look at it as a good positive thing,as I`m sure that`s what it was intended to be. Thanks for sharing that with us.
W8QAS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 09:43:14 PM »

Thanks.  I have tried to do my grandpa and his call sign proud.  I'll let you know if I get another visit.  I have gotten some email traffic on this as well.  It seems to be the majority that I should just enjoy the moment and keep doing what I am doing.  I'll say this; We were very fortunate to have been spared last night.  For those who weren't, you'll remain in our prayers for a speedy recovery.

W8QAS
KV4BL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 09:57:20 PM »

Hello again, Roy!   That is a shame that your grandfather's logs are lost to the ages.   Cool deal on the Morse being sent manually!  

Things to consider:
1)  Even though you did not know him very well, you have chosen to honor your grandfather by taking his call sign.

2)   I attempted to do a little research on your (his) call sign and discovered that you had done the same.

3)   You are both communicators.   Whether by trade, hobby, or both, that is what you do and what you are.

4)   Items 1 and 2 above, indicate to me that he has been on your mind over time, perhaps more than a little.

He is, no doubt, proud of you for your achievements in ham radio and he is honored that you cared enough about him to
have done the things you have.  Frequently, spirits are drawn closer to us when we are thinking of them and especially
when we are discussing that person (or entity) with others.

In my experience, sometimes it may take time for someone on the other side (friend, relative, or other) to get around to making contact.
Sometimes, they have attempted to make contact, but our logical, skeptical, mind tells us those attempts are "normal", everyday, things such as the house settling (sometimes it IS just that and nothing more, sometimes it is something else), our mind playing tricks on us, or some other form of denial.  For whatever reason, your grandfather (or maybe someone else) is trying to get your attention in the here and now, and they have found a very good way to do that.

As with those of us on this side of the grave, those on the other side like to be acknowledged and recognized.  If you think you feel your grandfather (or other person)'s presence around you, don't be ashamed to speak to them.  Call them by name or nickname (if known) if you feel a presence or are getting overt signs that someone is trying to get your attention.  Don't expect to see or hear them, unless you have special abilities and gifts that most of us do not.  If you are at work or some other place where talking to the empty air might get you in a bind, just acknowledge them mentally.   I have experienced things which lead me to believe they can and do read our thoughts.  Understand that many times, you may get no response from them at all.  The more open to this kind of thing you become, the more it may happen to you as time progresses.  There will also be times when such things seem to cease for weeks, months, even years, before resuming again.  I don't know why that is but it just happens that way at times.

Best of luck to you and I hope you can capture that Morse on tape or DV recorder.  

Ray  KV4BL
W8QAS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 10:24:13 PM »

Hey thanks Ray.  Other than the letter, I may have failed to mention one other item they kept.  How it came to be in our family is beyond me.  Mom doesn't know (or recall) and I didn't think to ask my dad before he passed.  Anyway, I also was given my grandpa's 1917 Vibroplex bug in the original wooden box.  I can't use it.  I am a straight key type of guy (who called him a piccolo player?).  Anyway, I cherish it.  It is pretty cool. I emailed Pete (NL7XM) ( http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/9782 )  to see if he any further data.  Hopefully, he'll come up with something.  Thanks again for your kind words.  It has been an experience and a different day for sure.

Roy, W8QAS
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: