Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuning up on DX  (Read 1808 times)
N4CR

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2013, 07:03:29 PM »

What is it with these idiots that tune up on the DX frequency.

We haven't had conditions with India in years. So as soon as someone is spotted, guaranteed pileup with India barely above the noise. And what happens next? Someone tunes up on the DX frequency.

So I asked them to please tune up off the DX and I get told "Shut up, Lid" by they guy tuning up.

By the way, there WERE a bunch of polite hams tuning 3kHz up and down.

By the time he stops tuning, which was really excessively long, a couple of minutes, the conditions are gone.

How pathetic.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 07:06:35 PM »

I don't get it either. I tune my amp in to a dummy load, like I assume all responsible hams do. I would think there is only one reason to do so... To elicit a negative response from other hams. 

To be perfectly honest, YOU are just as much to blame as the tuner upper guy though.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 07:07:56 PM »

My request took 2 seconds and caused no more interference than everyone who was calling the DX.

Unless you are referring to feeding the troll. Guilty I guess.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:11:05 PM by N4CR » Logged

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 07:12:56 PM »

My request took 2 seconds and caused no more interference than everyone who was calling the DX.

Unless you are referring to feeding the troll. Guilty I guess.

Both... You could have jumped on someone who was trying to hear his call and you feed the troll.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 07:17:22 PM »

I don't think these guys are tuner-uppers, but QRMers.  Seems in the last few weeks (at least on 20M ssb) that some very long "tuners" seem to land on almost anything somewhat rare.  There can't be that many amps that need that much tuning.  Hams that need to get a life, or be locked up in their closet.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 07:24:24 PM »

Both... You could have jumped on someone who was trying to hear his call and you feed the troll.

I at least timed it so I asked him during the pile up and not during the listening phase. I could easily tell when the pile up was on.

Once he started up, nobody heard the DX. The DX was 20 dB or more down for me. And he continued to tune for another minute after. When he stopped, the DX was gone and there was no pileup calling the DX. If he was still there after that, I would have continued to hear the pileup. I was hearing people in Canada, Panama Canal and Eu working him. And then nothing. Tune up and down the band and the band is still alive.

This was just a rude ham raining on the parade.

73 de N4CR, Phil

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 08:16:51 PM »

I have a button on my radio called 'DNF'.  It works very well on SSB.  This problem won't go away anytime soon.  So it's up to us and the radio manufacturers to come up with a solution.

Jonathan W6GX
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 08:26:37 PM »

I have a button on my radio called 'DNF'.  It works very well on SSB.  This problem won't go away anytime soon.  So it's up to us and the radio manufacturers to come up with a solution.

I had autonotch on, but he was desensing me.

73 de N4CR, Phil

K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 07:49:09 AM »

I don't think these guys are tuner-uppers, but QRMers.  Seems in the last few weeks (at least on 20M ssb) that some very long "tuners" seem to land on almost anything somewhat rare.  There can't be that many amps that need that much tuning.  Hams that need to get a life, or be locked up in their closet.

I agree.  It has absolutely nothing to do with tuning up.  It's malicious QRM.

I vote for locked up.  Smiley
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 09:36:42 AM »

A competent operator can do a final, on air tuneup with his PA in a couple of seconds. There is no need to do it exactly on the DX frequency. Notch filters don't help when the tuner-upper is zero beat with the DX.
The tuner-upper is either stupid or malicious.
I vote for summary execution.
But No Torture, ok?
Luke VK3HJ
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 09:40:34 AM »

I wonder if people realize on CW its easy to tell who they are after they tune up on the DX freq. and then start calling? If they do its amazing that people would want to present themselves to the world in that manner. "Hey everybody, I'm a(n) __________"(fill in the blank)!
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 10:13:34 AM »

The tuner-upper is either stupid or malicious.
I vote for summary execution.
But No Torture, ok?
Luke VK3HJ

I'm generally against torture too.  How about post-execution torture only for those offenses deemed malicious?
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »

I wonder if people realize on CW its easy to tell who they are after they tune up on the DX freq. and then start calling? If they do its amazing that people would want to present themselves to the world in that manner. "Hey everybody, I'm a(n) __________"(fill in the blank)!

ugh, I did that once by accident. A week or so after our daughter was born I was in a bit of a sleepless haze trying to work a dxpedition.. got a few friendly and not so friendly emails as a result..
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »

I brought this topic up in my Christmas wish list for the past 2 years since I started chasing DX.  Call it QRM or idiot tuner uppers but the offenders don't read these forums.  If the truth be known, they probably have a difficult time reading anyway.  And if you have a decent antenna system, give it up.  There's no filter available that could reduce most tuner uppers signal enough to make hearing the DX station possible.  I just grit my teeth, turn the volume down and tolerate the idiot.

Randy
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »

dumb people do dumb things...
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: