Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K3 or ftdx3000  (Read 64728 times)
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2013, 11:42:40 AM »

Do some of you guys work in the PR departments of Japanese radio makers?   Shocked

Do you work in the PR department of Elecraft?

While I have some criticisms for Icom and Yaesu, I have not made a career of making bizarre and unsupportable allegations of failure against them on this forum, like SOME PEOPLE have chosen to do regarding Elecraft.  I am merely a very satisfied customer who appreciates good service and good products.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2013, 05:40:09 PM »

Do some of you guys work in the PR departments of Japanese radio makers?   Shocked

While I have some criticisms for Icom and Yaesu, I have not made a career of making bizarre and unsupportable allegations of failure against them on this forum, like SOME PEOPLE have chosen to do regarding Elecraft. 

Like what?

I am merely a very satisfied customer who appreciates good service and good products.

So are we but we don't go around saying an 857d is better than a K3.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »

While I have some criticisms for Icom and Yaesu, I have not made a career of making bizarre and unsupportable allegations of failure against them on this forum, like SOME PEOPLE have chosen to do regarding Elecraft. 

Like what?

I am merely a very satisfied customer who appreciates good service and good products.

Zenki has outright lied about the IMD figures of the Elecraft radios, was called out about it, and never corrected his error.  I suspect his job is reputation management and this is why he refuses to identify himself.

Anyway the difference between a person claiming that an 857d is better than a K3, and a person claiming that a K3 is better than a TS-990s  is that the Elecraft user is correct and the Yaesu user is not.  The figures are right there for the whole world to see.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2013, 02:26:48 AM »

Why the debate between these two rigs? It only proves hams no longer need any operating/listening skills required with pre K3/ftdx3000 rigs in the past 50 yrs. or so to make a contact or attain such lofty goals as DXCC HR or placing high up in a major contest.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 03:20:45 AM by W1JKA » Logged
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2013, 11:13:35 AM »

Why the debate between these two rigs? It only proves hams no longer need any operating/listening skills required with pre K3/ftdx3000 rigs in the past 50 yrs. or so to make a contact or attain such lofty goals as DXCC HR or placing high up in a major contest.

As technology moves forward so do capabilities.  I'm sure the spark gap guys were just like you, complaining about those darn kids with their vacuum tubes.  Now I'll get off your lawn.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2013, 01:18:55 PM »

Answered as expected Wink
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2013, 01:39:31 PM »

Answered as expected Wink

So I guess your point is that you had no point.  Technology moves forward pops, your old tube powered boat anchors are now more or less average to low end, performance wise.  But you can still feel a bit ashamed, like you're cheating, compared to the spark gap and crystal set guys who clearly were much better operators than anybody who ever used tube rigs.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2013, 04:00:17 PM »

Anyway the difference between a person claiming that an 857d is better than a K3, and a person claiming that a K3 is better than a TS-990s  is that the Elecraft user is correct and the Yaesu user is not.  The figures are right there for the whole world to see.

LOL almost coughed up my lunch reading that.  So let me get this straight if I said to you that behind Door Number one is TS-990S and Behind Door Number 2 is a K3 you would pick door number 2?  Roll Eyes  If that’s the case can you PM me, I have some land in Florida you might want to buy. Grin

I have used a K3 and a K3 is a one trick Pony, it has a super narrow front end that makes it have an ever so slight advantage in CW reception when dealing with heavy QRM situations.   IMO Elecraft will always have that advantage because no other company is going to Narrow down their front end that much; because the price for that narrowing is really poor sounding SSB reception.  Elecraft does it because it’s the only trick that they can use to convince people to buy their products.

The K3 has one of the worst ergonomic designs, between it’s 3 layers of multi button pressing that requires a Nifty cheat sheet next to you 24/7 and it’s 1990’s looking LCD display that’s trying to display 50 things in the space of 25 plus it’s lack luster SSB Tx audio and really harsh and hard to understand SSB Rx audio my head is exploding at the thought that you could even compare the two radios. Huh   Oh let me guess, those Sherwood numbers say the Elecraft is the best!  The guy has picked out one column of numbers and sorted the list based on that because he feels that’s the most important criteria to judge a Radio by Roll Eyes!  Pleez give me a freaking break!

I could ask 100 blind folded Hams to choose between his number one ranked radio and his 50th and I would doubt that 10% of them could hear a difference even with CW in heavy QRM!  Much less tell the the difference between any of the top 20.  On the other hand I bet all 100 would tell you to get the dam headphones off of them when you start playing some SSB audio from the K3.

For those thinking of buying a K3 I highly suggest you watch the whole of this video from a guy who loves his K3 and is just demonstrating how to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv_on_k447E

If you can deal with all those key presses to do the most basic of things plus deal with a counter intuitive button layout and an old style LCD that shows important info for just a few seconds and then reverts back to something else and Lastly deal with menus that look like something from a HT and you ONLY do CW then the K3 is definitely your Radio.

I will spare you my thoughts on the look and feel of this luxury product and it's use of the worlds finest plastics, not to mention the amazingly low price you can get the whole system for or maybe I will talk about the K3 price in another post.

I hate bashing anybodys radio but when I read crap BS like a K3 is better than a 990S I cant help but say something.

BTW I also suggest you look up some videos on the K3 doing Phone versus another radio.  Your ear drums feel like they are going to explode when using the K3 for any length of time.   Listening fatigue with the K3 is a 10 out of 10 and the multi button presses become so daunting that you never try to do certain things because each and every time it’s a pain in the butt to figure them out without getting out a booklet.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:43:12 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2013, 09:56:11 PM »

Anyway the difference between a person claiming that an 857d is better than a K3, and a person claiming that a K3 is better than a TS-990s  is that the Elecraft user is correct and the Yaesu user is not.  The figures are right there for the whole world to see.

LOL almost coughed up my lunch reading that.  So let me get this straight if I said to you that behind Door Number one is TS-990S and Behind Door Number 2 is a K3 you would pick door number 2?  Roll Eyes  If that’s the case can you PM me, I have some land in Florida you might want to buy. Grin

I have used a K3 and a K3 is a one trick Pony, it has a super narrow front end that makes it have an ever so slight advantage in CW reception when dealing with heavy QRM situations.   IMO Elecraft will always have that advantage because no other company is going to Narrow down their front end that much; because the price for that narrowing is really poor sounding SSB reception.  Elecraft does it because it’s the only trick that they can use to convince people to buy their products.

The K3 has one of the worst ergonomic designs, between it’s 3 layers of multi button pressing that requires a Nifty cheat sheet next to you 24/7 and it’s 1990’s looking LCD display that’s trying to display 50 things in the space of 25 plus it’s lack luster SSB Tx audio and really harsh and hard to understand SSB Rx audio my head is exploding at the thought that you could even compare the two radios. Huh   Oh let me guess, those Sherwood numbers say the Elecraft is the best!  The guy has picked out one column of numbers and sorted the list based on that because he feels that’s the most important criteria to judge a Radio by Roll Eyes!  Pleez give me a freaking break!

I could ask 100 blind folded Hams to choose between his number one ranked radio and his 50th and I would doubt that 10% of them could hear a difference even with CW in heavy QRM!  Much less tell the the difference between any of the top 20.  On the other hand I bet all 100 would tell you to get the dam headphones off of them when you start playing some SSB audio from the K3.

For those thinking of buying a K3 I highly suggest you watch the whole of this video from a guy who loves his K3 and is just demonstrating how to use it.

If you can deal with all those key presses to do the most basic of things plus deal with a counter intuitive button layout and an old style LCD that shows important info for just a few seconds and then reverts back to something else and Lastly deal with menus that look like something from a HT and you ONLY do CW then the K3 is definitely your Radio.

I will spare you my thoughts on the look and feel of this luxury product and it's use of the worlds finest plastics, not to mention the amazingly low price you can get the whole system for or maybe I will talk about the K3 price in another post.

I hate bashing anybodys radio but when I read crap BS like a K3 is better than a 990S I cant help but say something.

BTW I also suggest you look up some videos on the K3 doing Phone versus another radio.  Your ear drums feel like they are going to explode when using the K3 for any length of time.   Listening fatigue with the K3 is a 10 out of 10 and the multi button presses become so daunting that you never try to do certain things because each and every time it’s a pain in the butt to figure them out without getting out a booklet.

Of course I would choose the K3.  Can you imagine what it might cost to repair a 990?  It'd cost half a K3 just to mail it in, and you'd probably have to wait about 3 months to get it fixed.

I sat around at the local HRO and played with the TS-990 for a while just last week.  Oh it's big and fancy, but I didn't really feel like I would get anything done with it that I couldn't with a K3, and the current draw is very high even without any signal.  There are lots of buttons, but I didn't feel like it helped to create a nice user interface.  More like the flight deck of the SR-71.  Also the cutesey kitchy skeuomorphic old timey VFO dial on the LCD screen was just awful.  Heck, I could run a K3 off a battery for a day or two, and the 990 would suck that battery dry in an hour or two WITHOUT IT EVEN TRANSMITTING.

I bet you couldn't understand somebody who'd rather have a Vanagon than a Hummer, too.

The SSB sounds great on my KX3 (even narrower than the K3!) as long as you hook the unit up to a nice proper external speaker.  On transmit I have had several unsolicited compliments.  Perhaps the users you have heard never bothered to read the manual and figure out how to adjust the SSB TX EQ.

The KX3 uses almost the same exact UI as the K3 and I don't have any problems with it.  All the buttons are clearly labeled, and the commonly used functions are readily accessible.

Elecraft radios are designed to be fixed by the user.  They even include their own basic test equipment and signal generators.

No, I've no desire to get into a gigantic Japanese radio that costs as much as a small car, will only be serviced by the manufacturer for a few years, and which sucks down more electricity than an average middle-class household.

In almost every test measurement the K3 (and the KX3) beat or even BLOW AWAY the 990.  I know it's tough to hear, especially if you're 8 grand deep into Kenwood (I'd hope they give you a few dizen shares of stock with your radio purchase!) but it's the truth.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:30:32 PM by KE7TMA » Logged
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2013, 12:05:26 PM »

I could ask 100 blind folded Hams to choose between his number one ranked radio and his 50th and I would doubt that 10% of them could hear a difference even with CW in heavy QRM!  Much less tell the the difference between any of the top 20.  On the other hand I bet all 100 would tell you to get the dam headphones off of them when you start playing some SSB audio from the K3.

Of course I would choose the K3.  Can you imagine what it might cost to repair a 990?  It'd cost half a K3 just to mail it in, and you'd probably have to wait about 3 months to get it fixed.

I sat around at the local HRO and played with the TS-990 for a while just last week.  Oh it's big and fancy, but I didn't really feel like I would get anything done with it that I couldn't with a K3, and the current draw is very high even without any signal.  There are lots of buttons, but I didn't feel like it helped to create a nice user interface.  More like the flight deck of the SR-71.  Also the cutesey kitchy skeuomorphic old timey VFO dial on the LCD screen was just awful.  Heck, I could run a K3 off a battery for a day or two, and the 990 would suck that battery dry in an hour or two WITHOUT IT EVEN TRANSMITTING.

I bet you couldn't understand somebody who'd rather have a Vanagon than a Hummer, too.

The SSB sounds great on my KX3 (even narrower than the K3!) as long as you hook the unit up to a nice proper external speaker.  On transmit I have had several unsolicited compliments.  Perhaps the users you have heard never bothered to read the manual and figure out how to adjust the SSB TX EQ.

The KX3 uses almost the same exact UI as the K3 and I don't have any problems with it.  All the buttons are clearly labeled, and the commonly used functions are readily accessible.

Elecraft radios are designed to be fixed by the user.  They even include their own basic test equipment and signal generators.

No, I've no desire to get into a gigantic Japanese radio that costs as much as a small car, will only be serviced by the manufacturer for a few years, and which sucks down more electricity than an average middle-class household.

In almost every test measurement the K3 (and the KX3) beat or even BLOW AWAY the 990.  I know it's tough to hear, especially if you're 8 grand deep into Kenwood (I'd hope they give you a few dizen shares of stock with your radio purchase!) but it's the truth.

The K3 is an ergonomic nightmare.  The receive audio is tiring to listen to for any length of time.  The transmit audio is "contesty".  It looks like it was designed in some guy's garage back in the 1980's.  I would choose the TS-990s over 10 K3's.  The Kenwood looks and plays like a real radio, not some tiring old looking and frustrating cracker box(K3).
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2013, 04:55:30 PM »

Anyway the difference between a person claiming that an 857d is better than a K3, and a person claiming that a K3 is better than a TS-990s  is that the Elecraft user is correct and the Yaesu user is not.  The figures are right there for the whole world to see.

LOL almost coughed up my lunch reading that.  So let me get this straight if I said to you that behind Door Number one is TS-990S and Behind Door Number 2 is a K3 you would pick door number 2?  Roll Eyes  If that’s the case can you PM me, I have some land in Florida you might want to buy. Grin

I have used a K3 and a K3 is a one trick Pony, it has a super narrow front end that makes it have an ever so slight advantage in CW reception when dealing with heavy QRM situations.   IMO Elecraft will always have that advantage because no other company is going to Narrow down their front end that much; because the price for that narrowing is really poor sounding SSB reception.  Elecraft does it because it’s the only trick that they can use to convince people to buy their products.

The K3 has one of the worst ergonomic designs, between it’s 3 layers of multi button pressing that requires a Nifty cheat sheet next to you 24/7 and it’s 1990’s looking LCD display that’s trying to display 50 things in the space of 25 plus it’s lack luster SSB Tx audio and really harsh and hard to understand SSB Rx audio my head is exploding at the thought that you could even compare the two radios. Huh   Oh let me guess, those Sherwood numbers say the Elecraft is the best!  The guy has picked out one column of numbers and sorted the list based on that because he feels that’s the most important criteria to judge a Radio by Roll Eyes!  Pleez give me a freaking break!

I could ask 100 blind folded Hams to choose between his number one ranked radio and his 50th and I would doubt that 10% of them could hear a difference even with CW in heavy QRM!  Much less tell the the difference between any of the top 20.  On the other hand I bet all 100 would tell you to get the dam headphones off of them when you start playing some SSB audio from the K3.

BTW I also suggest you look up some videos on the K3 doing Phone versus another radio.  Your ear drums feel like they are going to explode when using the K3 for any length of time.   Listening fatigue with the K3 is a 10 out of 10 and the multi button presses become so daunting that you never try to do certain things because each and every time it’s a pain in the butt to figure them out without getting out a booklet.

Of course I would choose the K3.  Can you imagine what it might cost to repair a 990?  It'd cost half a K3 just to mail it in, and you'd probably have to wait about 3 months to get it fixed.

I sat around at the local HRO and played with the TS-990 for a while just last week.  Oh it's big and fancy, but I didn't really feel like I would get anything done with it that I couldn't with a K3, and the current draw is very high even without any signal.  There are lots of buttons, but I didn't feel like it helped to create a nice user interface.  More like the flight deck of the SR-71.  Also the cutesey kitchy skeuomorphic old timey VFO dial on the LCD screen was just awful.  Heck, I could run a K3 off a battery for a day or two, and the 990 would suck that battery dry in an hour or two WITHOUT IT EVEN TRANSMITTING.

The KX3 uses almost the same exact UI as the K3 and I don't have any problems with it.  All the buttons are clearly labeled, and the commonly used functions are readily accessible.

Elecraft radios are designed to be fixed by the user.  They even include their own basic test equipment and signal generators.

In almost every test measurement the K3 (and the KX3) beat or even BLOW AWAY the 990.  I know it's tough to hear, especially if you're 8 grand deep into Kenwood (I'd hope they give you a few dizen shares of stock with your radio purchase!) but it's the truth.

From reading your post I can see that you’re a total Elecraft Fanatic, so there is no point going any further.

I would like to see all these Test measurements where the K3 and KX3 blow away the 990.  Can you show us some of those test measurements?

And BTW I think the Guy who spent $4000 to get a loaded K3 is the one who got ripped off, not the guy who spent $8000 on a 990, but hey that’s my opinion.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2013, 03:26:15 PM »

The K3 is an ergonomic nightmare.  The receive audio is tiring to listen to for any length of time.  The transmit audio is "contesty".  It looks like it was designed in some guy's garage back in the 1980's.  I would choose the TS-990s over 10 K3's.  The Kenwood looks and plays like a real radio, not some tiring old looking and frustrating cracker box(K3).

Your opinion on the matter is your own, but I would hesitate to give it any credibility.  Are you even an amateur radio operator?

For those of us who don't want to spend almost ten grand on a radio, who intend to operate remotely, who wish to be able to diagnose, repair and align our radios, the Kenwood has absolutely no place in our shacks.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2013, 03:32:29 PM »

LOL almost coughed up my lunch reading that.  So let me get this straight if I said to you that behind Door Number one is TS-990S and Behind Door Number 2 is a K3 you would pick door number 2?  Roll Eyes  If that’s the case can you PM me, I have some land in Florida you might want to buy. Grin

I have used a K3 and a K3 is a one trick Pony, it has a super narrow front end that makes it have an ever so slight advantage in CW reception when dealing with heavy QRM situations.   IMO Elecraft will always have that advantage because no other company is going to Narrow down their front end that much; because the price for that narrowing is really poor sounding SSB reception.  Elecraft does it because it’s the only trick that they can use to convince people to buy their products.

The K3 has one of the worst ergonomic designs, between it’s 3 layers of multi button pressing that requires a Nifty cheat sheet next to you 24/7 and it’s 1990’s looking LCD display that’s trying to display 50 things in the space of 25 plus it’s lack luster SSB Tx audio and really harsh and hard to understand SSB Rx audio my head is exploding at the thought that you could even compare the two radios. Huh   Oh let me guess, those Sherwood numbers say the Elecraft is the best!  The guy has picked out one column of numbers and sorted the list based on that because he feels that’s the most important criteria to judge a Radio by Roll Eyes!  Pleez give me a freaking break!

BTW I also suggest you look up some videos on the K3 doing Phone versus another radio.  Your ear drums feel like they are going to explode when using the K3 for any length of time.   Listening fatigue with the K3 is a 10 out of 10 and the multi button presses become so daunting that you never try to do certain things because each and every time it’s a pain in the butt to figure them out without getting out a booklet.

Of course I would choose the K3.  Can you imagine what it might cost to repair a 990?  It'd cost half a K3 just to mail it in, and you'd probably have to wait about 3 months to get it fixed.

I sat around at the local HRO and played with the TS-990 for a while just last week.  Oh it's big and fancy, but I didn't really feel like I would get anything done with it that I couldn't with a K3, and the current draw is very high even without any signal.  There are lots of buttons, but I didn't feel like it helped to create a nice user interface.  More like the flight deck of the SR-71.  Also the cutesey kitchy skeuomorphic old timey VFO dial on the LCD screen was just awful.  Heck, I could run a K3 off a battery for a day or two, and the 990 would suck that battery dry in an hour or two WITHOUT IT EVEN TRANSMITTING.

The KX3 uses almost the same exact UI as the K3 and I don't have any problems with it.  All the buttons are clearly labeled, and the commonly used functions are readily accessible.

Elecraft radios are designed to be fixed by the user.  They even include their own basic test equipment and signal generators.

In almost every test measurement the K3 (and the KX3) beat or even BLOW AWAY the 990.  I know it's tough to hear, especially if you're 8 grand deep into Kenwood (I'd hope they give you a few dizen shares of stock with your radio purchase!) but it's the truth.

From reading your post I can see that you’re a total Elecraft Fanatic, so there is no point going any further.

I would like to see all these Test measurements where the K3 and KX3 blow away the 990.  Can you show us some of those test measurements?

And BTW I think the Guy who spent $4000 to get a loaded K3 is the one who got ripped off, not the guy who spent $8000 on a 990, but hey that’s my opinion.

I own four Yaesu radios, two Icoms, and one Elecraft.  To call me a fanatic is a bit of a stretch.  I still think the FT-817ND is one of the most brilliant pieces of technology that I have had the pleasure to own, even if it is quite long in the tooth at this point.  I could never bring myself to sell it even though it has been supplanted in my use by the KX3.

The guy who spent $4k on a loaded K3 has a better performing radio in every important way.  Sure, he will have to use a few extra button presses to get at some functions, but his investment is sound, the company he bought his radio from will look after him, and he can count on parts and service being available for a very long time.  Did you know that Elecraft still sells the first radio they ever offered, way back in 1999 and offers replacement parts and upgrades for it too?  This is a track record that Japanese radio companies are not able to match.

I suppose if you are comfortable with blowing $8-12k every half decade or so to stay on top of the Japanese gigantic radio game, this is a fine thing for you and the Japanese economy.  However, don't mistake the fancy flight deck UI of the TS-990 for high performance in the RF domain.
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2013, 12:06:20 AM »

Are you guys serious? The way you guys have been bickering I wouldn't be supprized that there isn't anybody left who cares what either of you has to say. And what's with all that quoting? We are perfectly capable of reading what the other guy said right above your post.

If you guys are trying to make fools out of yourselves then I guess both of you are on the right track.

Pick your transceiver and stop trying to convince the rest of the world to use the same. Let them use whatever transceiver the like and save yourself een ulser in the process.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2013, 05:09:59 AM »

Re: PD2R

Apparently they are serious with short memories to boot.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: