Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CPU Transmit Issue with my Yaesu FT-90R  (Read 1241 times)
POHONASIN

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2013, 04:22:41 AM »

I have a Yaeus FT-90r which my dad used for years in his truck.  I love the radio and when he sold his truck, he gave it to me.  For the first few months, it worked great, but suddenly I am getting a (ERR) message whenever I key the ptt on the mic.  The radio receives fine, but wont transmit on any Chanel, frequency or band.  I did a hard reset and set the radio back to factory, including wiping it clean of all memory.  I reprogrammed a few frequencies into it, and it worked ok for a few days, then I got the ERR message again.  Anyone know whats wrong, and if it can be fixed, or better yet, is it worth fixing?  Thanks
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 05:06:15 AM »

I'm not familiar with that particular radio, but whenever I have unexplained problems crop up, the first thing I do is check the memory back-up cell's voltage. When I inherited by dad's HTs, neither worked very long after turn-on. Yep, dead back-up cells. Usually a new cell is all it takes to fix the problem.

I would have thought the factory check-out would have taken care of it, but sometimes the obvious get overlooked.

FWIW, I will buy a guaranteed-fresh cell at the local battery store, and have the store spot-weld nickel solder tabs to it if I have to solder it into the circuit. It's a free service at my local store. GL
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 05:11:31 AM »

AS 'FYI said, it's probably something minor, like a button battery.  On some rigs, however, if that battery were to be disconnected, the radio has to be reprogrammed by the factory, so I wouldn't try replacing that battery (if that's the problem) by yourself unless you know exactly what you're doing.  Getting a service manual for the rig will probably help you more in the long run than any advice you see here.  You may be able to get one online for nothing, or you may have to get one otherwise, but it's a good investment, in any case.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 07:41:37 AM »

I have never heard of  the problem , that removing the   memory back up  battery  causes a  need for   factory  re-program.   I have  replaced  several  back up batts.
even  putting in  backwards causes no  harm.. just keeps the radio  stupid..
Batteriesamerica.com.    with  tabs   abut  3 bucks..
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 12:04:07 AM »

The ICOM 271 and 471 and at least one of their HF rigs would go dead and need factory re-programming if the battery was taken out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: