Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Wireman still open?  (Read 5672 times)
AH6RR

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2013, 11:02:53 AM »

I placed an order online this past weekend and have yet to hear from them. Is the Wireman still in Business? If not why is the website still up and running? I hate to think that my credit card number is just sitting there for some hacker to find.

Roland AH6RR
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 11:08:14 AM »

They have a booth reserved and paid for at Dayton Hamvention next month so they are still in business.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 11:33:56 AM »

I placed an order online this past weekend and have yet to hear from them. Is the Wireman still in Business? If not why is the website still up and running? I hate to think that my credit card number is just sitting there for some hacker to find.

Roland AH6RR
I placed an order a week or so ago, and got it fine...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 04:05:24 PM »

They are open but seem to be lacking some in the communications dept. Good place to buy stuff though.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 04:28:48 PM »

They are open but seem to be lacking some in the communications dept. Good place to buy stuff though.

Boy you can say that again, at least they could do is send an acknowledgement of the order. Also my card has not been charged yet either. I will email them when I get home from work today. I ordered it on the 6th of this month it is just 300ft of copperweld #14 maybe they are out of it who knows since I have not heard a peep out of them.
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 01:09:33 PM »

I also think they have been having stock issues.  I ordered some rotor cable in December and finally got it in March.  However, they did communicate this to me and asked if I was willing to wait.  I was as I was getting stuff together for a spring time project.  But they did tell me and ask me.  After that I had to pester them for updates.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 01:22:58 PM »

Yes,stocking issues,my coax order was delayed by about 2 weeks,got it last week and they won't charge your card until it is shipped.They also told me that they were changing their computer system.I kept in touch with them via land line.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »

Just a update. I called and was told that they never received my order so I canceled it and 5 days later I see my card was charged and I received a email stating my order had shipped. If they never received my order then why did my card get charged and I get shipping tracking number. What a pee pour operation when you tell them that you dont want the order since they never got it in the first place according to them then they charge you for it once the finally check to see if they do have any web orders even though I told them never mind. Huh I am surprised they are still open. They should count their lucky stars that it was not much money because I would have blasted them big time (I might still when it arrives).
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »

hi,

Wireman don't use those expensive 'shopping cart' ordering systems so
that is the likely reason you got charged for the order you wanted canceled.

Just give them a call, they will make it right.

73 james
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 08:43:25 AM »

Quote from: AH6RR
Roland -

I placed a regular order (telephone) with The Wireman same week you posted.
I use the telephone, since I usually pick-up "end of rolls" (coax, antenna wire, rotor cable) that are Specials or Clearance items (First Come, First Get) -- added to my orders.
I also check on some items that are getting harder to source (ladder-line), due to only one cable mfg. in USA still making it.

My Order arrived promptly a couple days later.  
I have been dealing with Pres, N8UG since late 1970s.  
Today, his staff / family handles much of the day-to-day orders and
he doesn't attend the number of hamfests that he use to attend 30 years ago --
but neither do I !!
--
They are planning on attending Dayton, hope for good weather.
--
BTW, DX Engineering with their nice Internet merchandise web site ($$) have a full-time staff working on Internet.  They have made mistakes with my orders in past -- BUT we have always resolved the issues with a telephone call or e-mail.  Part of the e-commerce game.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 08:56:14 AM by W9GB » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 11:12:40 AM »

Wireman don't use those expensive 'shopping cart' ordering systems

Jeesh! Another lame excuse about incompetent ham suppliers. Remotely hosted secure shopping carts are very inexpensive.

Here's the price sheet for a highly reliable system that I have experience with.
http://www.shopsite.com/ready-to-buy.html

There may still be a few free carts available. The free ones make money charging for upgraded features as stores grow. For most sellers, it's far more efficient to take orders via a cart system than by email or phone.  
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 10:21:40 PM »

I have been using the WIRE MAN's FLEXI-4XL since 1994 & buy all of my wire & cable needs from them.Press Jones runs a good business but as in ANY business a MISTAKE can be made.The stuff works great & last a long long time with ZERO issues with breakdowns or failures on HF thru the VHF bands. Grin  {:>)   Smiley

Clayton
W4KVW
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 05:28:14 AM »

... I called and was told that they never received my order so I canceled it and 5 days later I see my card was charged and I received a email stating my order had shipped....

They probably have dozens of orders and looking up an individual order can be hit and miss--especially with a small company.  A change of one letter in a person's name can result in an order not found with a computer lookup.

Instead of being so critical, cut the people some slack.  They try to give good service at low prices.  If it's that unacceptable to you, simply order from a big name supplier--and pay the added costs.

AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 05:45:21 AM »

I agree, The Wireman's ordering system and sales communication could be improved. I've purchased a lot of antenna building supplies from them over the years at hamfests.  Friendly folks and good quality products.  Nevertheless, The Wireman seems to be sort of a Mom and Pop operation, you're not dealing with a large scale operation like HRO or AES, and for that, you are not paying HRO and AES prices either.

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 11:03:43 AM »

They probably have dozens of orders and looking up an individual order can be hit and miss--especially with a small company.  A change of one letter in a person's name can result in an order not found with a computer lookup.

Outrageous how incompetent business practices are so-often defended here. Imagine DOZENS of orders to look thru!

If my firm can't find an order under the buyer's name (which sometimes happens), we look under the ship-to address
or bill-to address
or under the email address
or under the phone number
or under the product ordered
or under the credit card number
or....

In extremely rare cases where we can't find an order while the customer is on the phone, we take his number and call him back, usually within 15 minutes.

If we then can't find the online order, he probably had us confused with another vendor and never placed an order with us.

Folks, this isn't hard... at all!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: