Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other radio modes  (Read 10181 times)
K4IDK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 05:52:02 PM »

Along with all of the ham stuff that's in my drop kit, I carry along several MURS radios to hand out as needed, signed for of course so that I can make sure that I get them back.  As for CB, I have the first 40 channels on my HF EmComm stuff programed with CB frequencies, so that channel 1 is the correct frequency for that channel and on down the line.  Then I put a sticker on the top of my radio reminding me to turn the power way down before transmitting so that I'm still legal.  But so far I've yet to use any of the CB frequencies though. 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 06:53:12 AM »

K4IDK, You forgetting the fact that even though you're turning the power 'way down' before you transmit, you're still breaking the regs by transmitting on the CB bands with a radio not approved for use on that band.  I don't want to get into the right or wrong, or how the FCC doesn't police the CB band anyway, but if someone in authority sees you transmitting on the CB bands on your ham rig, you could be in serious trouble--including the probable loss of your ham license.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 07:14:15 AM »

It's nice to have one of everything, but it's even nicer to have what's in general use in the area you will be operating from.  In my area 800 Mhz and 1.2 Ghz isn't used much at all, so wouldn't really be a benefit.  It'd still be nice though...
 - Paul
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 08:05:47 AM »

K4IDK, I am with K1CJS 100%!

Yes, I know that you should be able to use any means of communication at your disposal in the event of an emergency, but if you insist on using the citizens radio service, buy a dedicated radio just for that purpose. They start at around $45 at RS, but you might even find a better deal at a truck stop near you!

And if you ever decide to put your current HF rig up for sale, you need to advertise the fact that it has been modified to transmit on the CB frequencies. I am betting you won't get many responses!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 09:28:27 AM »

You don't have to get a new one either.  You can get a used one on e-bay or elsewhere for less--and the older ones are probably better made to boot!
KC5YIV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 01:58:19 PM »

So far - other than HF for regional communications support and e-mail over radio (WINMOR/PACTOR) during local loss of infrastructure, our VHF/UHF capabilities can be had -largely- using off the shelf, unlicensed or easily licensed products and little training, allowing emergency volunteers who are not hams, to intercommunicate.
There's a lot more than  knowing how to push a PTT button to emcomm. You can hand an FRS talkie to anyone on the street and they'll know how to use it for simplex comms with another person. Ask them to pass official traffic with it, operate on a net, coordinate PL tones for different task groups, or even know what line-of-sight is, and you've lost them. Not to mention there is no such thing as an off-the-shelf unlicensed repeater. Tongue

Ham radio isn't just about knowing how to operate the equipment. The service we can provide is knowing how to operate it quickly, effectively, and efficiently to get information from A to B, without relying on communication infrastructure that is likely to be either down or oversaturated in times of crisis.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: