Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noisy UPS!!  (Read 1591 times)
WB7TDG

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2014, 05:28:49 PM »

Hi all...
Some time ago I got a new commercial grade Cyberpower UPS that can use up to 6 external battery packs...I noticed when the power went out a few days ago, the ups kicked in and the darn fan is loud!
Anyone else have fun making some kind of soundproof enclosure for these things?
buying a commercial enclosure is out of the question...they are priced thru the roof!
I am thinking of getting a cheap dorm sized fridge and modifying it for a ups enclosure.
Size of ups is 18" high by 16" wide by 20" deep. Big and heavy.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 07:52:14 PM »

fridge idea is bad, traps heat, blows up electronics.

just put the monster in another room and run a line to it.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 06:38:27 AM »

fridge idea is bad, traps heat, blows up electronics.

just put the monster in another room and run a line to it.

Yes, I have used a 1000 watt APC for over 10 years now that also supports external battery packs. It is a bit noisy too. I agree move it to another room if it bothers you as you do not want to enclose it in any way because of cooling

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
WB7TDG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 07:56:01 AM »

Actually I was thinking of installing a couple of port holes in the fridge for air input/output. Since most of these little fridges have metal skins, it would also serve as a faraday shield.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 08:31:16 AM »

Actually I was thinking of installing a couple of port holes in the fridge for air input/output. Since most of these little fridges have metal skins, it would also serve as a faraday shield.

Move it to another room if it bothers you....

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 09:58:20 AM »

Use a working refrigerator and plug it in. Keep it cool. Then you can stash some tuning fluid in your station as well.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 10:31:24 AM »

Use a working refrigerator and plug it in. Keep it cool. Then you can stash some tuning fluid in your station as well.

It will not have enough BTU cooling power to cool a well loaded UPS. Especially if it is a small one. Then there is possible condensation issue. I would expect this from FIB though.

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 11:40:27 AM »

Who cares what you think JX. You again can't seem to determine what is humor and what is a serious answer. But that is your personal problem. Better run that generator in your garage more. You need a refresh of fumes.

But I am serious when I say your a clown.

What a clown!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 11:47:57 AM by W9FIB » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: