Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First HF mobile install  (Read 5039 times)
AA4N

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2013, 04:48:06 PM »

Well, I have spent most of the weekend installing an FT-857 in my Miata.  Don't laugh..  Between the threaded mounting holes on the rear deck and the trunk mounted battery, the miata is actually a pretty good mobile radio platform.

I got lazy and bought the atas-120 screwdriver.  I mounted it on the hard points for the (optional) hardtop, and I have a dual band 2M/440 antenna on an NMO mount in the middle of the deck lid.  So far, it is all working great.  The little screwdriver tunes up everything from 6M to 40M without a hiccup.  The dual band antenna works, well, like it always has...

I haven't actually tried a CW qso while driving yet, but hope to do so eventually.  I'm thinking that long highway trips would work nicely for CW rag chewing  Smiley. Also, hope to spend some quality time on lunch breaks in the company parking lot...

Right now, I've just got an old J-38 sitting on the console.  that was quick and easy.  What I would like to do is hard-mount some paddles right behind the gear shifter.  I haven't worked out a graceful way to do that yet.  I can't say that I'm super fond of the built-in keyer on the 857 though.  It's a bit rudimentary.  Still that little box does an awful lot of stuff.  I shouldn't complain  Smiley

In the past, I've worked mobile CW guys from the shack, and I always thought "wow, that would be a hoot!". But, now that I'm all ready to give it a try, I find myself hesitating... Well, that guy is pretty weak, might lose him in the road noise.   Well, there's a traffic light coming up, I'll have to shift a lot... Well, I'm about to dive into this valley, I'll probably lose him behind the mountain and that would be rude...  It's funny, I feel like a noobie all over again.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a little.  Always fun trying new things.

73. Mike
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 04:06:23 AM »

I tried mobile CW about a year ago, Mike.  It was fun but I've got moderately heavy traffic a lot of the time, and I just wasn't comfortable about it.  It might have been different if I'd gotten a memory keyer in the car along with the sideswiper.  Wink 

You're likely to hear some comments about the ATAS ...  Smiley   But I say any antenna is better than NO antenna.  And mobile HF can be a lot of fun, as you say.  Now you've got to post another message when you've had a chance to use your new installation, let us know how it's going!  73!
  --ken

W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:54:27 PM »

You're likely to hear some comments about the ATAS ..You bet because I had one & it was GARBAGE.I have used many antennas with HF mobile setups & the ATAS 120A may be the WORST so called antenna I have ever used.It was OK on 6 & 17 meters but not great.My Hustler antennas,Ham Sticks,DK-3,& current TARHEEL II all kicks the crap out of the ATAS 120A.See my eham feedback on the ATAS 120A for further info.HF mobile is fun but much more fun with a GOOD antenna. {:>)  Wink

Clayton
W4KVW

KA7RRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 12:03:04 AM »

I have a ATAS 120 antenna,with a 857D and it works GREAT I never had any problems with it.  So far I have worked into Russia Ausi and about 5-6 other DX-countries I also worked South America   the ATAS-120 is working just fine for me,and I have been happy,with it   

I have had a screw driver,and a little tar-heel ,and ham sticks . and have been happy with them also. They all work

My plans is to drive to Dayton this year and if any body cotacts me, they well  get a QSL card

suitable for framing from me
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 06:34:41 PM »

I have a ATAS 120 antenna,with a 857D and it works GREAT I never had any problems with it.  So far I have worked into Russia Ausi and about 5-6 other DX-countries I also worked South America   the ATAS-120 is working just fine for me,and I have been happy,with it   

I have had a screw driver,and a little tar-heel ,and ham sticks . and have been happy with them also. They all work

My plans is to drive to Dayton this year and if any body cotacts me, they well  get a QSL card

suitable for framing from me

They may all work, but some work a whole lot better than others!  It is all about 'Q'.

Rick  wn2c
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 02:24:01 PM »

I also use the ATAS on the car with an  ft 857d, its short enough to fit in the garage and autotunes , my 2 biggest needs.  On the pickup I use an atas 120 most of the time, but have a full sized DK-3 for 20/40 /80 m when parked also with a ft 857. I don't do mobile cw, but you can also find a leg mount ( a springy band that clamps on your leg) or even a "bean bag" filled with leas shot,  with the key mounted on that , which will be heavy enough to keep it from moving while sending.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 06:24:39 AM »

Mr. Willis hit the nail on the head. Just about any antenna will work to some degree. However, unless you have something to compare an ATAS or TinyWonder to, saying it works great is highly subjective.

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 08:09:38 AM »

saying it works great is highly subjective.

Yep.  I have an ATAS and have used it mobile on trips for over 10 years now.  I have compared it to other antennas and it sucks.  On 40M it's hard to say if the ATAS or my Isotron is better.   I think of it as a tunable QRO to QRP converter.  But it "works" - I have made thousands of mobile contacts with it, most during CW contests (good ops, good stations).  Performance really is mostly expectation.  The ATAS is convenient and low profile, and if you're OK with only working stations having good antennas and with good band conditions, this antenna will cut it.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 03:51:40 PM »

yup
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 01:55:46 PM »

I have to ask~~~I assume you have an automatic?
I bought a dual bander for my 2007 and found trying to use it with the close ratio 6 speed around town was impossible due to the constant shifting.
I also found that at 40 MPH plus I could not hear the radio very well (FT7900) but that problem was solved by putting a cheap $13. MFJ mobile speaker right next to my right ear on top of the center console.
I took the radio out of the car. Now granted if I took long road trips I might have got some use out of it but I just drive this car around locally.
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 11:38:38 PM »

Nope, it's a rather care worn old 5-speed.  I don't usually operate while driving in town, so shifting isn't much of a factor.  I listen a lot though.  I worked a few folks on the way to and from Dayton last weekend.  It works pretty well on the highway.

Ya, road noise is a problem.  I've got a speaker mounted right behind my head rest, so I can hear strong stations pretty well.  But, I'm not going to be pulling distant QRP stations out of the weeds while driving down the road at 70+ mph.

I also like to spend my lunch hour working CW from a hilltop near the plant.  When parked, I can do weak signal work pretty well.  But, I turn the power way down, since the miata has such a small battery.

I'm looking for a junk yard car so I can get a spare ashtray.  I plan to turn it into a plug-in mount for my paddles.  For the time being though, I'm still using the trusty old j-38.  I pulled into a fast food drive though the other day.  The guy at the window saw the key.  He asked me, "is that one of those things where you push a button, and after a while it means something?". I smiled and said, "yes it is.  It's a telegraph key".  He seemed happy with that. 

Cheers,   Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: