The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using my Flex 6300 and an external tuner  (Read 2847 times)
N1FMV

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2016, 12:26:53 AM »

Hi all, I have been able to get up and running (mostly) with my Flex 6300, my first step into SDR. Now I need to figure out a better way of tuning it. I considered the optional built in ADU but it maxes out at matching a 3:1 SWR. I have an MFJ 998 tuner that I have used with my Kenwood 590 and it tunes everything I have ever connected it to. My question is there any way of getting it to tune when I press the tune button in the software? I know that I can:
1. Turn the power down to 5w
2. Switch to CW mode
3. Press the tune button on the MFJ 998
4. Switch the mode back to  LSB/USB
Is there a means of semi-automating this procedure? If so what connections do I need on the Flex and what connections do I need on the 998? Idealy I would like to be able to push the tuner button in the software and have it drop the power and key the tuner. Is this possible?
thanks
Frank
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 05:15:29 AM »

In the old radios, there was a tune button and you could set the power to whatever you wanted to in some menu.
W1XWX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 12:38:14 PM »

I have a Flex 3000. In the settings menu there is a setting under TRANSMIT for tuning power. I have mine set for 10 watts. I don't know if SmartSDR has this feature but look under settings.

I am also using a manual tuner an MFJ986-- I simply hit the TUNE button on the main screen and tune for best SWR using the MFJ986.

Life's too short for QRP
K9COX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 12:38:15 AM »

There is a tune button on SmartSDR with a tune power slider. That is all there is to it, just tap the tune button.
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 01:44:32 PM »

Hi all, I have been able to get up and running (mostly) with my Flex 6300, my first step into SDR. Now I need to figure out a better way of tuning it. I considered the optional built in ADU but it maxes out at matching a 3:1 SWR. I have an MFJ 998 tuner that I have used with my Kenwood 590 and it tunes everything I have ever connected it to. My question is there any way of getting it to tune when I press the tune button in the software? I know that I can:
1. Turn the power down to 5w
2. Switch to CW mode
3. Press the tune button on the MFJ 998
4. Switch the mode back to  LSB/USB
Is there a means of semi-automating this procedure? If so what connections do I need on the Flex and what connections do I need on the 998? Idealy I would like to be able to push the tuner button in the software and have it drop the power and key the tuner. Is this possible?
thanks
Frank

In all honesty tuning anything past a 3.0:1 swr on Coax is very hard to do in an autotuner that isn't the size of your flex radio. I have no recommendations for what you are asking however I have a manual tuner that far surpasses the performance of an automatic tuner but it takes longer to tune. I too have a 6300 and love it.

Also keep in mind that depending on the antenna you are feeding, even if you are able to match that 3:1 swr or 20:1 for that matter over unbalanced coaxial line your going to be plagued with gobs of common mode current. So ensure you utilize proper common mode chokes on both ends of your feed line to protect your shack/finals from common mode current. Remember - RF Always returns to the source.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:01:00 PM by KK4YDR » Logged
NI8R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 05:23:58 PM »

The flex tuner is very good at making matches., the 3 to1 is generally the edges of the spectrum , 6m and 160m. I would buy the internal tuner add on for the rig, you will be so much happier.
As good as a elecraft tuner in my opinion.

Greg
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 08:28:54 PM »

I use macros in DDUTIL.  I have a macro that cancels the RCA to the amp and turns on tune.  Once the 998 is tuned I have another macro that turns off tune and turns the RCA back on.  I can also use DDUTIL remotely so I can tune the 998 from across the house.

The code I use is in this post https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/option-to-disable-the-tx-relay-output-while-in-tune-mode-as-a-setting

73  W9OY
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 08:34:53 PM by W9OY » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: