Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Protecting from summer heat and winter cold?  (Read 2893 times)
K4TFJ

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2014, 08:31:17 AM »

I am beginning the install of a HF rig in my mobile. Rig of opportunity is an Alinco DX-70TH, with LDG AL-100 auto-tuner and a ham stick. How do  I prevent or reduce possible damage due to summer heat?

Normally I would think leaving the windows slightly open would help with heat but that diminishes the security of the vehicle.
What about windshield reflective covers?
Covering radio with a white cloth?
What have you done, why and did it work?

Tj, K4TFJ
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 09:18:52 AM »

Cracking windows can help lower air temps.  If the radio is going to be where sunlight can hit it, then the issue is solar heating and covering the radio can help.  Also make sure there is plenty of space around the radio for air movement. 
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 10:20:15 AM »

I never do "anything."

The rig won't be damaged by normal cold or heat (about -30F to +160F) ambient when not operating.

The only effects I've noticed by ambient extremes are:

-When "too cold," sometimes when powered on, the rig actually won't work until it warms up a bit from the vehicle heater.  Sometimes the LCD display will "freeze" and not properly indicate; but when warmed up, it comes back to life and works fine.

-When "too hot," sometimes when powered on the rig will work but the LCD display won't because it's "all black," and you can't see what it's reading until the rig cools off a bit from the vehicle air conditioning.  Then, it comes back to normal operation also.  In my experience, this doesn't take long, maybe a few minutes.

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 11:16:48 AM »

I use a silvered window shield ( looks like large sun glasses for the vehicle) and then I drape an old light colored base ball cap over the radio itself to keep direct sun off it. Other than that, nothing.   
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 07:45:39 PM »

Cracking the windows helps.  Using a sunshade in the front windows helps dramatically.  It would also help in the back window, but few people go that far.

I would avoid having the sun shine directly on the radio.

One danger of winter operations is static electric damage during exceptional dry conditions.  I zapped an Azden radio, requiring repair, one cold winter night on a SAR mission.  After that I always grounded myself before touching the radio.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 06:13:12 AM »

Where I am at, summer heat is a problem I wish I had....however, on the rare occasion it does ramp up, I agree, a windshield visor for the front windshield will help in blocking out the sun....the back windshield, as was said, most people don't go that far, and there's really nothing to hold up something to the back windshield like there is in the front...you can get them at Advance Auto or Autozone or similar automotive stores....make sure it's big enough for your windshield....bought mine when I had a smaller car, and now with my current vehicle, it's too small, and I have a hard time keeping it from slumping.....Good Luck.....

V
K3NRX

K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 07:39:24 AM »

Bright sunlight/heat can ruin  LCD displays.   Direct  sun will turn them all black.
so watchout for  cell phones and  GPS's  displays.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: