Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stealth antennas  (Read 14785 times)
WV4L

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2013, 08:41:28 AM »

Any body here tried one of these?  I don't see any mentioned in the review section.

http://www.stealth-tele.com/plugins/custompages/catlist.php?id_categories=155

Wayne C
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 12:32:55 PM »

They are nothing more than a Conan 9310. Mine Labs, of metal detector fame, purchased Conan last year. They apparently spun off the antenna making division. It is now based in Dubai.

The power limit tells the whole story!

N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »

I wouldnt hook YOUR radio to one of these dodads even if you paid me!!  Well maybe if you paid me enough i would but otherwise no!  LOLOL Grin
ALEXST

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:09:39 PM »

There much more than Codan. Stealth is not Codan division. You can compare Codan antenna(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5uClLtV-Is) with Stealth antenna(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJBUthN-4qA). Stealth 9310 is able to work with any transceiver including CODAN and it can be automatically tuned less than 0.5 sec.
Here is 93-series Stealth Antennas inside look - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c95wjBnat0c
Here is one of the comments regarding 9310 antenna https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=447821828620109&set=a.130053853730243.24233.130031737065788&type=1&theater
Here is manufacturer's account on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/StealthTelecom
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:39:04 PM »

Have you looked at the price? How many barrels of oil do you have to send them to get one  Grin
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 03:57:10 PM »

A rose, by any other name is still a rose. However, in this case is comes with thorns.

Yes it tunes fast. Not as fast as an AH-4 or FC-40 auto-coupler. It is about the same, but uses a slightly longer whip. It is, after all, a base loaded antenna.

Yes, it isn't a Conan. It is, however, an exact copy. That notwithstanding, my comment above is still prudent. It has a power limit of 200 watts. That fact speaks volumes.

What's more, all of the hype about the antenna providing NVIS is inane. Anyone who owns a copy of EZNEC can easily debunk that issue.

For less money, one can buy a Tarheel or Scorpion that will out perform it by 10 to 20 dB!

G7DIE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 07:18:18 AM »

I don't doubt there are more efficient radiators from the likes of Tarheel and Scorpion, but there's little doubt about the antenna's quality construction, it looks a very well engineered product in the video, not what I'd attach to my car, but a quality product without doubt.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 12:34:43 PM »

Looking good and working good do not always go together!!  Cheesy
(At least in my experience)
 I think that even the ATAS 120 would be better than this particular antenna. Not exactly stealth, but, it would have some chance of radiating a signal better. I saw plenty of screwdriver antennas
and others at a hamfest in Belton Texas yesterday. Some were huge and others, (like the Little Tarheel II) were not that intrusive at all. But, if the name of the game is getting the most performance for your money, a large, antenna is hard to beat. But, something is better than
nothing if you are wanting to get on the air mobile.
james
WD5GWY

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 10:52:30 AM »

I agree.  I use a DK-3 and an ATAS 120 on the truck , the ATAS 120 is for use while driving down th road as I can tune it with the push of 1 button while still driving. The DK-3 is used for when the truck is parked and I caan look at the meter to tune it. I also use the  DK-3 for 80 meters mobile as the ATAS won't go there.  I use  only the ATAS 120 on the car as it fits in the garage. I don't think I have actually ever seen one of those "stealth" antennas in the flesh.  I say go with what you know.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 06:32:21 AM »

How can anyone consider that a 'stealthy' antenna?
 - Paul
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 07:43:15 AM »

How can anyone consider that a 'stealthy' antenna?
 - Paul

Compared to my HP-100 with the large whip and heavy duty trailer hitch mount on my Tahoe, it's stealthy... Smiley

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
VK3AP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 07:26:45 PM »

A rose, by any other name is still a rose. However, in this case is comes with thorns.

Yes it tunes fast. Not as fast as an AH-4 or FC-40 auto-coupler. It is about the same, but uses a slightly longer whip. It is, after all, a base loaded antenna.

Yes, it isn't a Conan. It is, however, an exact copy. That notwithstanding, my comment above is still prudent. It has a power limit of 200 watts. That fact speaks volumes.

What's more, all of the hype about the antenna providing NVIS is inane. Anyone who owns a copy of EZNEC can easily debunk that issue.

For less money, one can buy a Tarheel or Scorpion that will out perform it by 10 to 20 dB!

Why do people keep calling them Conan? It's Codan, not Conan.
Either way it's NOT an exact copy, it's quite different. Multiple control system function, belt driven moving coils, it's a very very different antenna to the Codan 9350. It also has a full engineering diagnostics, you can change the min/max swr points, bring in or lock out coil sections, change speed ratios and steps etc and recover previously tuned frequencies and run diagnostics etc.
Connectors are also in different positions, at a 45 deg angle to allow for sloping entry, they're easier to mount.
Performance wise, I agree yes they are the same, I've used both, but crawling through the thick scrub, give me the Stealth anyday. That's what it was designed for and you can see it.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 06:49:03 AM »

Having seen and touched one in the flesh calling it a stealth antenna is a bit of a lie.

I've also seen a cutaway one so have seen what is in the base. Its nothing like the Tarheels. Instead think of it as a StepIR with  a $300 Turbotuner screwdriver antenna controller built into the base. And when you've seen the cutaway model you can tell where the money has gone.

AA0ST

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 07:07:55 PM »

I have one. It is mounted at the right rear corner of the pickup bed of my Nissan Titan. The mount is square tubing mounted to the frame and run up through the stake bed pocket. The bed has an aluminum cover. As mentioned above; it is not a screwdriver antenna. The coil seems to be about 1/3 of the way from the bottom, so it is not as efficient as an antenna with a center located coil but it is very durable and mine has taken a beating in the hill country of Texas and the Ozarks of southwest Missouri and I haven"t broken it yet.

It does not has a "tuner" per say. It moves a copper sleeve over the coils to tune to the desired freq when the tune button on the radio is pushed. It does not have a memory of different frequencies stored like some remote tuners do because it does not have a "tuner". It does move the sleeve over the coil with a stepper motor and a toothed rubber belt in about 1/2 second. This is from one band to the other regardless of which band you choose. So yes 10 m to 80 m then back to 10 m then to 40 m. Each is only 1/2 second long.

Since band conditions determine everything,  I will say that it has been a consistent performer for what is expected from a mobile antenna based upon band conditions on any band between 3.5 MHz and 30 MHz.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: