Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nature of keyed output to the transmitter  (Read 3836 times)
WA8JNM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 01:27:48 PM »

Now it makes sense, guys. Thanks so much.

The Flex manual isn't that far off. Page 8 says to use (just) tip and sleeve for a straight key, or (with some ambiquity, referring to "a" keyer signal) using all three connections.) Clearly they meant the internal keyer only for the three.

Sorry for all the trouble. I was just drawing a blank on an external key output connections, and confused also when to check the iambic radial button in the Flex settings.

To add to the confusion, my Hamgadgets keyer output is set for a 3.5 mm mono plug. I thought it was a stereo out.

Anyway, thanks for the education.

It seems unreasonably simple now.
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 04:55:19 PM »

WA8JNM:  I, also have the HamGadets MK-1 keyer.  Because of my handicap, must only use a keyboard for the input.  Have it connected into the CW-input on my ICOM ic-7410.

I have problems software-programming it, BUT I do like all of it's features Smiley

Ken KC8Y
WA8JNM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 05:36:48 AM »

For anyone who stumbles on this thread who has the same trouble understanding the CW input jack on the Flex 5000, some kind soul emailed me offline with the following additional info.

Early on, the Flex had a problem with the "ring" being shorted out on certain plugs when used in the CW jack. The solution is the setting under the keyer tab where you can check the two conductor option.

So, in summary, the problem I was having using an external KEYER ( as distinguished with only a paddle and use of the INTERNAL keyer) with the Flex 5000 is remedied by:

1. Not selecting "iambic" in the panadapter, thereby indicating the Flex should expect a straight key OR EXTERNAL keyer input, and,
2.  Electing the two conductor setting in the panadaptor, and,
3.  Understanding that the keyer output, 2 wires, uses the tip and shield only.

Seems simple now.

Dave
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: