Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digipan and PSK31 power Output  (Read 3097 times)
N8EUI

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2013, 02:31:49 PM »

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the digital modes.  I'm hoping for an answer to a couple of questions.  When I'm setting up to operate PSK31 using Digipan, I set my rig output to maximum and then click on "tune."  From there I set my Signalink for about 30 watts out.  However, when I click on transmit, my output goes to about half, (15 to 16 watts).  Is this normal operating procedure?  My second question is for PSK31 power measurement: Do I measure my power output in the "tune" mode or transmit mode?

Thanks,
Tom, N8EUI 
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 04:29:48 AM »

The important thing is to keep your rig at maximum power and adjust your power output level by adjusting your the output of your interface and adjust it for your desired output level (30 watts is good) by looking at the meter on your rig when you actually transmit. Your output power when actually transmitting PSK31 will usually always be somewhat lower than when you transmit a carrier.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 05:26:35 AM »

Measuring the output power in tune mode gives you the maximum peak power, which is what you want. Once you start transmitting PSK31 the peak power will remain the same but changes in the waveform will cause the indication on an average-reading wattmeter to be somewhat lower. You'll usually see the wattmeter reading begin to vary a little as you type characters on the keyboard. When you aren't typing anything then the transmitter is sending idles.

N8EUI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 08:46:09 AM »

Great information.  Thank you both for your replies.

Tom, N8EUI
KD8TZC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 01:13:36 PM »

Interesting topic.  I have a TS 440S and for whatever reason, when I transmit on PSK31, my power meter (both internal to the rig and on my external tuner) says 0 watts.  When I transmit CW, I get a nice blast of power, but something is just goofy with PSK31.  Someone suggested checking my audio out levels, but I would think that would also effect my ability to send CQ from fldigi.

John - KD8TZC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: