Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best antenna other than vertical for small yard  (Read 1564 times)
KD0LAV

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2013, 04:57:25 PM »

Am switching to a dipole.  Been looking at the "true talk" G5RV among others such as the Alpha Delta line.  Probably will have to do an inverted V.  No trees.  have also looked at a pushup pole for the center.  Have an AT 200 antenna tuner to give me 80m to 10 or even 6.  Currently using vertical.  Any suggestions?  I should also mention I do have a 26 wire radial field for the vertical.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:12:40 PM by KD0LAV » Logged
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 05:06:12 PM »

Do you have the room to guy a push pole X amount of feet from your house peak/chimney ect.so as to run a dipole?
KD0LAV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 05:10:45 PM »

Yes, I have room to guy a push pole.  The house is a single story and have thought of going up to 32 ft.  No amplifier.  Just a Kenwood 590.  Lot size is 70 ft wide with power lines across the back.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 05:40:05 PM »

Nothing wrong with using a dipole even at 30 ft. which is about average for most hams.You will make plenty of contacts without need of an amp so it should not even be a consideration as to type of antenna you erect.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 08:37:40 PM »

Nothing wrong with using a dipole even at 30 ft. which is about average for most hams.You will make plenty of contacts without need of an amp so it should not even be a consideration as to type of antenna you erect.
I am using such an antenna. Homebrewed it myself.  More or less a G5RV type of antenna.  Got 5BDXCC with it and 100 watts. Worked 285 countries on it so far.

73 John AF5CC
KD0LAV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 04:34:59 PM »

Thanks for the info John.  According to eham reviews there is a huge number of people that have used the tru talk G5RV with a high satisfaction rating.  Kerry has been very good at answering questions.  I also see a lot of people using one of the Alpha Delta series of antennas.  Trying to get the best bang for the buck.

Duane
KD0LAV
KD0LAV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 02:40:04 PM »

Made the plunge.  G5RV has been ordered and 3 fiberglass push-up poles. Thanks everyone for the advice
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: