Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good (early) morning for Winnipeg (New Member)  (Read 922 times)
RC286

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2013, 10:38:07 PM »

Good morning everyone.
I am new here. Been to the site many times for reference material, and the reviews section is great!
I figured it was about time I joined the community.

My name I Barrett,
I am from Winnipeg MB Canada, and have been meddling with this hobby for as long as I can remember.
I currently do not have my amateur license, but am in the process of studying and hope to take the exam in the near future.

Currently I mainly entertain myself with SWL, and DXing the AM broadcast band. I do enjoy fiddling with my scanners form time to time as well.
I am a member of a local CB club "Radio Canada DX group" that operates on 27.385Mhz LSB. This is where most of my on air time takes place until I get my license.
My screen name is actually my CB call for the group. I enjoy making long distance contacts and rag chewing with the locals when I manage to be near my radio when they are.
This has given me the opportunity to get my feet wet with some antenna designing and have a little fun actually getting on the air. Quite a few of the groups regular on air locals are HAM operators so thankfully there is a fair level of professionalism, proper techniques for identification, Q codes etc are used.

I am also learning CW, however just as I began to put effort into it, I got distracted with changing occupation, and the stress of getting used to a new job, so I have fallen a bit
behind. I will make the time however.

Nice to meet you all!

Barrett RC286
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 04:02:08 AM »

Welcome, but you've got to realize one thing.  This is a ham radio site, and there are some here that take a very dim view of CB operators.  Makes no difference that that is where some of them got their start.

CB is but a small part of personal communications, and I would encourage you to step up, study, and take your ham exam.  It will open up a whole new world for you--you'll wonder about your view of CB after you do.  (Maybe that's why some take a dim view of CB!)

Go ahead and ask questions.  The only dumb or stupid question is the one not asked!  Most here will try to help and will make you feel welcome.  73 (that's ham speak for best wishes) and try to get that ham license!
RC286

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 08:26:49 AM »

Absolutely. I didn't come here to talk about CB, I'm here because I'm interested in becoming a ham. Just figured I'd give a little bit about my background.

I mainly meddle with SWL, and often listen to the amatuer bands, experiment with decoding different digial modes etc. Alot of my discussions will be on these topics, and also receiving antenna design. And im also sure that I will have some questions
along my way to the point where I am ready to take the exam.

I am excited to get licensed as it will open up a nearly infinate combination of possibilites for me.

73 - Barrett.
VE5EIS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 03:31:26 PM »

Welcome aboard - I just got my VE5 Saskatchewan call nine days ago myself.  Smiley

Hope one day to talk to you on the air.

Jim
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 04:18:17 AM »

Absolutely. I didn't come here to talk about CB, I'm here because I'm interested in becoming a ham. Just figured I'd give a little bit about my background.

I mainly meddle with SWL, and often listen to the amatuer bands, experiment with decoding different digial modes etc. Alot of my discussions will be on these topics, and also receiving antenna design. And im also sure that I will have some questions
along my way to the point where I am ready to take the exam.

I am excited to get licensed as it will open up a nearly infinate combination of possibilites for me.

73 - Barrett.

Start studying Barrett, the test is a piece of cake to pass.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: