Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: nuther new guy  (Read 2964 times)
KK4PVQ

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2013, 06:24:25 PM »

I am going to learn it..lol..I found the learnmorsecode site, and find the audio for each letter is a great way to learn,  I was wondering if any of you know of a audio download like those that I can load to my android or mp3 type player with it all on it..something to listen to while working etc, and not actually practicing.
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 10:05:26 PM »

You can generate and download any number of MP3 practice files online at: http://lcwo.net/download
Also the text to CW converter may be of iterest to generate customized files: http://lcwo.net/text2cw

Fabian

N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 04:11:52 AM »

I am going to learn it..lol..I found the learnmorsecode site, and find the audio for each letter is a great way to learn,  I was wondering if any of you know of a audio download like those that I can load to my android or mp3 type player with it all on it..something to listen to while working etc, and not actually practicing.

Here you go:  http://www.arrl.org/5-wpm-code-archive

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN N4OI  Grin
N4IAG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 07:56:04 AM »

For your entertainment. How about drums and Morse? Code is catchy. Wink

http://youtu.be/6XHwygN9CKM

Steve

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.
KD0EXQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 03:34:05 PM »

I have been using the Just Learn Morse Code program since January and found it very helpful.

You will find the ARRL practice files very useful as well.  And has been mentioned, in mp3 format.

The Code program helped me learn the letters, but frankly it can be a little frustrating to listen to random letters.  And I could never just start listening "cold" right away. 

Once I thought I had a good handle on the letters and numbers, I started listening to the ARRL practice files.  They all start out very much the same, so it is a good warm up.  Once you get to the actual message, you will find that listening to actual words/sentences is easier than listening to random letters.  At least it was for me.  And in addition to the code, there is a text file so you can read along (or after) you listen to the code, to help you associate the sounds you hear with the letters.   And I also use the text files to practice "sending" (thumb for the dit, index finger for the dah) sometimes as I listen to the code file the second time.

Of course, on the Just Learn Morse Program, you can input your own words/messages. For example, you could put in an example of a contact: cq - your call sign - rst report - qth - sign off  with call sign and listen to that. 

It is now April, and I have a good handle on the letters, numbers, etc.  3 1/2 months, but then I am an old man. The ARRL practice files have really boosted my confidence.

Good luck.  Persistence and regular practice is the key. 
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 12:57:45 PM »

You might try to generate some of your own files using a code practice oscillator.  Better if you can set up your rig to send the sidetone without transmitting.  Most rigs allow this nowadays.  You could record your code directly into the smart phone.  This way you will get sending practice as well.  Many ops never hear their own fist.  If you can't decode you own fist you may have sending issues.

You can send letters from a book or magazine.  Even backwards helps.

FWIW

73, JP, K8AG
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »

You might try to generate some of your own files using a code practice oscillator.  Better if you can set up your rig to send the sidetone without transmitting.  Most rigs allow this nowadays.  You could record your code directly into the smart phone.  This way you will get sending practice as well.  Many ops never hear their own fist.  If you can't decode you own fist you may have sending issues.

You can send letters from a book or magazine.  Even backwards helps.

FWIW

73, JP, K8AG

Good point.
Here are some possibilities that I have used and know to work as advertized .
1) If you have a modern radio with a built in keyer with side tone, turn of the break-in mode and it's a code practice oscillator.
2) with an external oscillator, tap off a line level output and feed it into a computer running HRD's DM780 or similar program in CW mode.
The program will show you if you are sending what you think you are sending.

G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 04:32:20 PM »

There seem to be more ways to learn morse these days than anything else!

Im currently learning. I use the K7QO code course, this is MP3 files, which I play on my Android phone, I also play those on my car stereo via an SD card. I would very much recommend that course for learning the characters.

I also use the G4FON software. In fact, as I type this, I have my laptop beside me sending me random characters at a character speed of 20wpm, but a word speed of 10wpm, continuously. I cant copy them all, as im working and my attention has to be away from it most of the time, but its an 'immersion' learning, and I dip into it as and when.

Try the K7QO course on your phones music player, and play the files in order, you'll know the basic alphabet in a couple of days!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: