Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Echo on headset  (Read 2170 times)
KD8TZC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 09:49:57 AM »

Thanks K1WJ... I have both Coax and Ladder line (Coax to attic and then it switches to the ladder line).  I can give that a try too.  What is causing it though?

John - KD8TZC
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 10:14:32 AM »

If you have RF being radiated from the twinlead/antenna in close proximity to your gear, something in your gear or some wire connected to your gear, is picking up this RF and feeding it through the audio circuits on your radio which you hear in the phones.  This is "crosstalk."

Getting rid of this annoyance is another subject to become involved with after you try the aforementioned suggestions.  You always go for the obvious or simplest things first OM.  Then your take on the more involved solutions.

Indoor antennas quite often present problems that outdoor antennas seldom do.  Like inject RF into the house wiring.  This is why it was suggested you go to your dipole and see if you still have the problem.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 11:19:32 AM »

I didn't read K1WJ's post as demeaning toward you at all.  His point was clearly that, being a technician class, you are unlikely to need multi-band HF capabilities at this point.  (Soon, hopefully, but not right now).  So the 10M balanced dipole presents somewhat fewer complications than what would have to be addressed with the G5RV.

I really don't think it was a slam against a Tech class licensee.

Terry, WØFM

(either way, a choke in the feed line would still be in order)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:21:43 AM by W0FM » Logged
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 01:02:19 PM »

OK, did not mean to make you feel bad - are you using ladder line or coax with G5RV?
If coax at radio, about 6-8ft from radio - take coax & put 10-12 turns around a 4.5 inch form to create a choke - I think this may help. 73 K1WJ Cool

Yes, the choke balun at feedpoint should be part and parcel of all G5 installations to prevent RF from riding back down the coax shield and into the shack. 

WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 04:03:27 PM »

G5Rv is a crappy antenna for 10M, the dipole will blow the socks off it anyday..... well actually just about anything will out perform a G5 on 10.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: