Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOA Hex Beam  (Read 61752 times)
W9DEC

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2013, 05:10:20 AM »

I live in a HOA in Florida and I decided to mount a hex beam. I put it at the back of the house and mounted it on a 15 foot tower using a  5 foot mast. This is high enough to turn 360° but remains invisible from the street in front of the house. It can of course be seen by my neighbors on either side but there is no one behind me as we back up to a conservation area. I'm sure the antenna would perform better if it were higher but it's doing a fiine job. They are great antennas.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 01:34:23 PM »

Exact situation at my QTH,my homebrew 20m hex is 22ft. it out performs my 20m dipole at 33 ft. simply because the hex is quieter and rotatable.Yes they are great antennas especially for QRP-DX nuts like me.
VK6WB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 05:49:53 PM »

Hi all

HEX Beam is very nice for small yard HOA. mine got up to about 27ft,on push up mast,
use to have 2ele tri band yagi. from I remember.its outperform the 2ele Yagi.
Live too short for QRP...400 watt VK limit. own for 5 month 121 country worked.
this 6 band HEX BEAM made by K4KIO. superb hi hi.

cheers 73 de VK6WB

see my HEX Beam at QRZ.COM
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 09:58:46 AM »

Hex beams do work well.
In my HOA anything that can be seen over the fence by the neighbor must be approved.
I thought I was in trouble but they did allow the erection of my 33' vertical so all is well there.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 12:16:50 PM »

Yes, about 4 dB forward gain over a dipole.
W7EJT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 06:41:37 AM »

A 15 ft tower in a HOA restricted area?

How does this get by the HOA Police?

Mine won't even permit a Dish network antenna.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 07:09:58 AM »

An HOA cannot ban the installation of a Dish Network antenna.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/installing-consumer-owned-antennas-and-satellite-dishes

W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 07:19:44 AM »

Simple, people don't know their rights and they get scared of the management people.
Even in my HOA that gave me permission for my 33' vertical, they state "no antennas of any kind" and that all must be approved in advance after you submit plans and pay a fee to have it approved or denied.
I pointed out to them that their language in the rules violates rules for TV antennas and satellite dishes in my opinion and cited the law. Never got a response.
And my HOA is managed by HOMCO which I understand manages many HOAs and standardizes the HOAs language in each HOA.
The people that run this outfit don't seem to care and have little knowledge of the issue.
AC7DX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 11:52:55 AM »

Simple, people don't know their rights and they get scared of the management people.
Even in my HOA that gave me permission for my 33' vertical, they state "no antennas of any kind" and that all must be approved in advance after you submit plans and pay a fee to have it approved or denied.
I pointed out to them that their language in the rules violates rules for TV antennas and satellite dishes in my opinion and cited the law. Never got a response.
And my HOA is managed by HOMCO which I understand manages many HOAs and standardizes the HOAs language in each HOA.
The people that run this outfit don't seem to care and have little knowledge of the issue.

OTARD has no bearing on ham antennas or regular TV antennas so no violation is in order
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 12:25:18 PM »

OTARD does apply to regular TV antennas. From the FCC web page:

•An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals. Antennas used for AM/FM radio, amateur (“ham”) radio, CB radio, Digital Audio Radio Services (“DARS”) or antennas used as part of a hub to relay signals among multiple locations are not covered by these rules.
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 01:01:19 PM »

OTARD has no bearing on ham antennas or regular TV antennas so no violation is in order

You either misread my post or misunderstood. I never implied that any law gave me permission to put up a ham antenna.
And I knew the law applied to TV antennas too.
Again, too many people don't know what they think they know.
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 06:23:54 PM »

In FL, there are  statutes that do give us the right to put up Antenna's over HOA's. Most dont know that.

FL law specifically incorporates PRB-1, which requires “reasonable accommodation” for ham antennas.  Google Florida Sunshine Statutes and you will get the link to all the FL statutes where you can search for “amateur radio” and it will show up.  Florida law says this:

166.0435 (2012)
“(1) No municipality shall enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation which fails to conform to the limited preemption entitled “Amateur Radio Preemption, 101 FCC 2d 952 (1985)” as issued by the Federal Communications Commission. Any ordinance or regulation adopted by a municipality with respect to amateur radio antennas shall conform to the above cited limited preemption, which states that local regulations which involve placement, screening, or height of antennas based on ...

N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »

W4PC "In FL, there are  statutes that do give us the right to put up Antenna's over HOA's."

I respectfully disagree.  The Florida statute you mentioned specifically alludes to municipalities and does not pertain to HOAs.  I'm not an attorney but it is my impression that HOA prohibitions on amateur antennas are perfectly legal under Florida statutes. I think it sucks but it is what it is.
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 05:21:57 PM »

Just because PRB-1 is adopted by the state does not mean that HOAs have to abide by it in most cases as when you move and you agree to the rules.
If you are a ham and you don't want to have to operate in a stealth mode don't buy in an HOA, it's just that simple.
I was prepared to offer a stealth if I had to when I bought in my HOA but as stated previously they did approve my application for a 33 foot vertical.
KI4DSC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 05:18:32 PM »

In FL, there are  statutes that do give us the right to put up Antenna's over HOA's. Most dont know that.

FL law specifically incorporates PRB-1, which requires “reasonable accommodation” for ham antennas.  Google Florida Sunshine Statutes and you will get the link to all the FL statutes where you can search for “amateur radio” and it will show up.  Florida law says this:

166.0435 (2012)
“(1) No municipality shall enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation which fails to conform to the limited preemption entitled “Amateur Radio Preemption, 101 FCC 2d 952 (1985)” as issued by the Federal Communications Commission. Any ordinance or regulation adopted by a municipality with respect to amateur radio antennas shall conform to the above cited limited preemption, which states that local regulations which involve placement, screening, or height of antennas based on ...

That would be good if a HOA was considered to be a municipality.  Look up chapter 720 of the Florida Statutes and give it a read.  You will be amazed at how powerful an HOA is.   720 does however say you can put up a 20 foot flag pole and fly a  6 foot flag on it.  With a few traps and loading coils you can have a 6 band vertical antenna and flag to boot!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: